So I got the Sony MDR V700DJ headphones and...
Oct 19, 2010 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

geoffbrecker

New Head-Fier
These puppies absolutely destroy my ears after about 20 minutes.
I'm not too sure why. Any ideas? I don't know if it's because they clamp
on my head so hard or because they have an almost vacuum seal but after
about 20 minutes my head and my ears hurt.

This sucks. 

I bought them from B&H in the states and now I kinda regret it.
What do you guys recommend as a replacement. I've tried the Sennheiser
HD595 headphones that my friend has. The sound blows these away, they're
super comfortable, but they're not closed.

I use them for making music on my laptop so they must be closed and comfortable.
A neutral sound would be helpful too.

Any ideas all you knowledgeable folk?

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 7
Maybe the MDR V6? They aren't very neutral IMO but they sound pretty good and they're very comfortable and durable.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm with you on the V700DJ's...I wear glasses, and after half an hour I have to take the headphones off because my ears hurt. Not to mention that I have to EQ the hell out of them to get them to not be ridiculously bass-heavy.

I'm not that big into Sennheiser stuff, but I'm considering the HD555's as replacements (though those are also open like the 595's). You may want to consider the Shure SRH840's though.

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 7
It's weird how V700 impressions vary.  My sister uses a pair, and they are not bass-heavy at all.  A bit rolled off at the top, they sport good balance and fall a bit behind ESW9 overall.  inb4 "they're fakes", both 'phones are from authorized US dealers, neither made in China.  ESW9 is much more colored and a bit faster.  I modded the headphone for her in the same manner I modded my 7509HD, giving V700 a cleaner, tighter, more open sound with more clarity and a bit more detail.  Soundstage is still as sparse and fuzzy as ever.  XD
She doesn't mind that, though.  The headband could use some more cushioning.

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 7

Mad Max said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's weird how V700 impressions vary.  My sister uses a pair, and they are not bass-heavy at all.  A bit rolled off at the top, they sport good balance and fall a bit behind ESW9 overall.  inb4 "they're fakes", both 'phones are from authorized US dealers, neither made in China.  ESW9 is much more colored and a bit faster.  I modded the headphone for her in the same manner I modded my 7509HD, giving V700 a cleaner, tighter, more open sound with more clarity and a bit more detail.  Soundstage is still as sparse and fuzzy as ever.  XD
She doesn't mind that, though.  The headband could use some more cushioning.

Nice writing, Thanks for your sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back