So I bought some Grado SR225i's...
Mar 1, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #32 of 43
It's not that I'm entirely discrediting phones under $200, it's that I wanted phones that were going to last me a long time before my next upgrade, and I feel that a $310 set of headphones will PROBABLY be a better long-term investment than a decent pair of $100 headphones. I know my logic is biased and kind of silly, but it's a sound argument that, in general, due to competition, more expensive headphones will probably do a better job (if not by a lot, at least by a little) than less expensive, and thus easily fabricated ones.

Furthermore, this is only the first step. I intend to buy amplification and invest in a better source in the future; But when I do, I don't want to have to throw away these headphones due to inadequacy. I realize that these headphones may indeed be a little over-the-top for my current source.

However, I also have a working but incomplete vinyl player that I'm going to be repairing (needs new needle outfit and needs to be tuned up a bit) and probably going to be listening to classical and jazz with, which is one of the reasons I started this thread. The problem is that my vinyl setup IS NOT going to be ready for a while, and that currently I'm going to have to get by with my iPod. I apologize for not mentioning that earlier, but frankly, it doesn't really apply for the time being. (Because I have no idea when I'll be able to get it working properly.)

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #33 of 43
If you've got the kind of money to throw around that you're talking about, invest in a LOD cable for your iTouch. It's not a bad device, but the opamp is pretty crappy and can easily be bettered with an E5, which is ultraportable, and even after you upgrade your amp and all that, the E5 will have a place in your setup, because its so tiny and so good, for $20. I got my LOD cable for under $30 off ebay. The guy who made and sold it doesn't have any on ebay right this second, but I can send you his email if you'd like to request him to make one for you to buy.

The thing is quality has almost nothing to do with price in headphone world. Sure, there are some super amazing, incredibly expensive headphones. But there are just many selling for $400 that aren't as good as a $30 pair of JVC HAR-X700's.

Finally, SR225i's are generally considered the best 'phone short of the RS-1 and other higher Grados for vinyl.

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've got the kind of money to throw around that you're talking about, invest in a LOD cable for your iTouch. It's not a bad device, but the opamp is pretty crappy and can easily be bettered with an E5, which is ultraportable, and even after you upgrade your amp and all that, the E5 will have a place in your setup, because its so tiny and so good, for $20. I got my LOD cable for under $30 off ebay. The guy who made and sold it doesn't have any on ebay right this second, but I can send you his email if you'd like to request him to make one for you to buy.

Well, actually, I was contacted by a member of this site, asking if I wanted to buy one for just under $40:

Quote:

Originally Posted by compicat
i saw that you re looking for ipod line out adapter. i make great cables with low price and great components. i m giving ebay links. just wanted to help. thanks.
Best Regards
Bogac

Links:

IPOD LINE-OUT-DOCK FOR HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER,Pure Copper! - eBay (item 250380221278 end time Mar-05-09 03:56:37 PST)

IPOD LINE-OUT-DOCK FOR HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER,Pure Silver! - eBay (item 250380858690 end time Mar-06-09 08:46:44 PST)

; and I'm not sure what to make of it. Seems legit, though I'm a worried about it being an eBay transaction and I don't have a credit card. I do prefer person-to-person transactions with some kind of assurance, which is probably why I don't mind spending a bit more than most.

Quote:

Finally, SR225i's are generally considered the best 'phone short of the RS-1 and other higher Grados for vinyl.

Really? That's very reassuring, and convenient. I had a very long, drawn out, but very interesting chat with the man behind the counter where I bought my 'phones today. He showed me a graph of the information passed via vinyl versus that of a CD (about half) and an mp3 (about a third or so). I was surprised, impressed, and a little intrigued-- so that's why I'm trying to get my vinyl player working again.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, actually, I was contacted by a member of this site, asking if I wanted to buy one for just under $40:

; and I'm not sure what to make of it. Seems legit, though I'm a worried about it being an eBay transaction and I don't have a credit card. I do prefer person-to-person transactions with some kind of assurance, which is probably why I don't mind spending a bit more than most.

Really? That's very reassuring, and convenient. I had a very long, drawn out, but very interesting chat with the man behind the counter where I bought my 'phones today. He showed me a graph of the information passed via vinyl versus that of a CD (about half) and an mp3 (about a third or so). I was surprised, impressed, and a little intrigued-- so that's why I'm trying to get my vinyl player working again.

WRT the LOD cable, I'd go off his ebay rating. LOD cables from reputable dealers that aren't on ebay seemed to be ridiculously overpriced when I was looking at them.

WRT the chart the dealer showed, those things can be misleading. Sure, any analog source is going to pass along drastically more "information" because the information is constantly being passed along. However, It's not like vinyl is 3 times as good as, for instance, 256 kbps VBR mp3. Vinyl sounds different, sure, but that's because it colors music in its own sort of way. Not because its inherently more accurate.

I've listened to the original master recordings of things that went to both vinyl and CD. Both sounded different from the master recordings in really, really miniscule ways, and I couldn't really say that one was more "accurate" than the other. Anyway, this is bound to start a raging argument, as in the audiophile world there is no argument that gets people more heated up than vinyl v. digital.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #36 of 43
As an owner of a Grado SR80 and previously an AKG701, the issue is definitely not the SR225i. I bought my AKG701 more than a year ago because of its great reviews but eventually sold it coz it never lived up to its potential coz it definitely needed an amp.

I was listening to the AKG 701 using a PAP2v2 via line out dock with a Ipod classic 4th gen but PAP2v2 wasnt good enough for the AKG701's. I kept going back the the Grado SR80's. I ended up selling mine for over $200 buck...some lucky guy bought it on ebay from me.

You just dont need an amp with the AKG 701 but a high gain amp to reach its full potential and you'll need an amp with the 225i's as well...dont forget a line out cable as well....even better if you playing lossless music AIFF, WAV or AAC.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

WRT the LOD cable, I'd go off his ebay rating. LOD cables from reputable dealers that aren't on ebay seemed to be ridiculously overpriced when I was looking at them.

WRT the chart the dealer showed, those things can be misleading. Sure, any analog source is going to pass along drastically more "information" because the information is constantly being passed along. However, It's not like vinyl is 3 times as good as, for instance, 256 kbps VBR mp3. Vinyl sounds different, sure, but that's because it colors music in its own sort of way. Not because its inherently more accurate.

I've listened to the original master recordings of things that went to both vinyl and CD. Both sounded different from the master recordings in really, really miniscule ways, and I couldn't really say that one was more "accurate" than the other. Anyway, this is bound to start a raging argument, as in the audiophile world there is no argument that gets people more heated up than vinyl v. digital.

WRT?

Depends on how either was created. I won't fight this. Both have ups and downs, obviously.

I'm going to look into buying an Apple-warranted line out adapter and building a DIY portable amp. There are a number of good designs I've seen.

So far, I've had recommendations for:
HeadWise Pocket Amp
cMoy
Pimeta
and
Mini3

And I'm having trouble deciding which to try. The Mini3 looks well organized and very clean, but the HeadWise Pocket Amp looks very achievable (seeing as most of the components can be purchased from The Source.)

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #38 of 43
WRT = with regards to

I don't think apple makes a line out dock, other than their dock stands. I am pretty sure they don't make any that are 32 pin connector -> 3.5mm male jack.

Additionally, you should buy the amp prior to the LOD, as a LOD is totally useless without some sort of amp. You also need an amp with a volume control (some versions of the cmoy don't have a volume control) since the LOD bypasses the iPod's volume control (which lets you turn the iPod's volume control all the way down, which saves battery, just FYI).

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #39 of 43
i was thinking of getting a pre-built mini3 from one of the head-fier's coz i dont know how to solder or tried to solder but its either a mini3 or meier head six (around $145)

There is no really an "apple warranted line out". I'd ebay if i were you. Just dont go over $35 range. I just bought a line out from an ebayer in hong kong for 16 bucks. The seller uses canare cables which a good quality cable. I should get it next week. we'll see if it works with my Ipod touch 2nd Gen.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

WRT = with regards to

I don't think apple makes a line out dock, other than their dock stands. I am pretty sure they don't make any that are 32 pin connector -> 3.5mm male jack.

Hmm. You're right, I checked the Apple site. No such luck.

As for his rating:
...............Mo.....Yr....Total
Positive......1.....14.....14
Neutral......0.......0.......0
Negative....0.......0.......0

Seems clean.

Quote:

Additionally, you should buy the amp prior to the LOD, as a LOD is totally useless without some sort of amp. You also need an amp with a volume control (some versions of the cmoy don't have a volume control) since the LOD bypasses the iPod's volume control (which lets you turn the iPod's volume control all the way down, which saves battery, just FYI).

The HeadWise, CMoy, PIMETA and Mini3 all cover the issue of a volume knob (CMoy lists this as "optional"). I will address getting an adapter after I've found a decent amp, but both are still under scrutiny. The only real qualm is which DIY amp provides the best compatibility with the Grado 225s (and, I might add, the best frequency response.)

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WRT?

Depends on how either was created. I won't fight this. Both have ups and downs, obviously.

I'm going to look into buying an Apple-warranted line out adapter and building a DIY portable amp. There are a number of good designs I've seen.

So far, I've had recommendations for:
HeadWise Pocket Amp
cMoy
Pimeta
and
Mini3

And I'm having trouble deciding which to try. The Mini3 looks well organized and very clean, but the HeadWise Pocket Amp looks very achievable (seeing as most of the components can be purchased from The Source.)

If you're comfortable with going diy, why don't you just make your own LOD cable as well?

You can get parts for the dock connector from qables

You can get bulk cables from ebay, or you can get canare or mogami cables from markertek.com

For the mini connector you can get it from either markertek or even parts-express.com

Pinouts for the dock connector are here or here

I'm planning on doing the same and also doing a diy imod with some broken ipods (1x 4G and 1x 5G) that I got for cheap and I'm planning on building a mini3 and ck2III at some point.

In the mean time I'm considering getting an E5 since it may be anywhere from a couple months to a year until I actually get around to finding time to do all these things. The only thing that's holding me back is I'm pretty happy with the output from my Sony S-738 to both my Grado SR-80 and UE sf5pro.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 phones are open as well. I'm not sure what more your expecting. In my experience, most phones seem very thin sounding when you first buy them, but after a few hours of listening they begin to develop a fullness of sound that is really great. Report back to us after burning them in for 10 hours or so. I listen to a lot of metal with my 325is [as an aside, the 325i & is are not harsh or shrill in the highs at all. Maybe they were in the past but they certainly are not now] and they are spectacular.

I have to agree here. I'm deeply impressed with the Grado 325is sound. This is when they're plugged into my HeadRoom Ultra Micro Amp. Very nicely balanced and transparent sound comes from them.

I plugged into my Mac's headphone out and then heard some of what others would complain about. The sound separation was less, the bass extension less and the highs took on a more shrill quality.

IMO, the SR325is needs to be amped for it to sound its best.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #43 of 43
I don't know what the exchange rate is in canada, but last time i was looking for headphones the sr-225i could be had new for $160 in the US. Besides that, given the type of metal you like symphonic (Therion?), technical (Atheist? Watchtower? Necrophagist?) they may not have the speed to keep up with this type of music and certainly not the wide soundstage you might be looking for with symphonic metal. Grados may not be your flavor, thank goodness you have choices right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back