So I bought some Grado SR225i's...
Mar 1, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #16 of 43
If you are looking for a more vibrant sound, I don't know if the K701 is what you are looking for, from what I'm hearing. Especially if you are going unamped.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for a more vibrant sound, I don't know if the K701 is what you are looking for, from what I'm hearing. Especially if you are going unamped.

Hmm... What would you suggest? I have headphones for the purist blend of metal, now all I need is something for my Symphonic stuff (and jazz, prog, etc.)

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be that your source+amp isn't a good match.. what is it?

lol dude, he's driving it straight from an iPod Touch.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... What would you suggest? I have headphones for the purist blend of metal, now all I need is something for my Symphonic stuff (and jazz, prog, etc.)

If you plan on getting an amp later, then the 701s might be what you're looking for. I believe the AD700s by Audio Technica should do decently with your symphonic stuff and they are cheap as well at $100.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you plan on getting an amp later, then the 701s might be what you're looking for. I believe the AD700s by Audio Technica should do decently with your symphonic stuff and they are cheap as well at $100.

Expense isn't a problem. I don't buy a lot, but when I do buy, I try to go for the best quality of product that I can (although I do budget, hence 225's rather than 325s).

I'm looking at phones above $200 only, because under that, product quality can be dubious (Take Sony, for example.)

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #21 of 43
You should look for an amp. My old 225's responded very well to my cheap Creek OBH-11. It is also a bit of a brighter amp, which, IMO, helped the 225's out a bit, made them a little more exciting.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #22 of 43
I think it's the same old story. If you really want to jump in quality you need a good dac, amp and headphones.
That is also a BIG jump in price. So you need to consider whether it's worth $1000+ to do that.
Driving k701s out of an ipod is nuts.

If you do want to keep things relatively cheap the se530s straight from an ipod sound quite nice.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Expense isn't a problem. I don't buy a lot, but when I do buy, I try to go for the best quality of product that I can (although I do budget, hence 225's rather than 325s).

I'm looking at phones above $200 only, because under that, product quality can be dubious (Take Sony, for example.)

Um, I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #24 of 43
If you've got SR225i's running out of the headphone jack of an iPod touch, your issue isn't the headphone, its your source. At least burn in your SR225i's, get a LOD cable and a FiiO E5 before you start talking about getting another $500 set of headphones.

Also, what kind of bitrate/format are you running your music at?

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Meh. I've had... bad experiences with Sonys. No offence to you-- I'd just rather avoid them. It's not Sony exclusively, mind you- I had a pair of $400 Monsters. They were terrible, too. It's just that I want to stay in a price range where ****ty headphones are less likely to be.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've got SR225i's running out of the headphone jack of an iPod touch, your issue isn't the headphone, its your source. At least burn in your SR225i's, get a LOD cable and a FiiO E5 before you start talking about getting another $500 set of headphones.

Also, what kind of bitrate/format are you running your music at?

Varies, so I can't say for certain...

But yeah, I've been reading up and I think I was a bit too snappy in questioning the Grados. I'm going to test them out with some other equipment and report back.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Meh. I've had... bad experiences with Sonys. No offence to you-- I'd just rather avoid them. It's not Sony exclusively, mind you- I had a pair of $400 Monsters. They were terrible, too. It's just that I want to stay in a price range where ****ty headphones are less likely to be.

Instead of prejudging phones you've never seen or heard, why not consider the opinions of people who actually own them? I own the AD700. I've owned the HD555. They're both solid headphones. I'd pick the AD700 over any phones under $250. You're doing yourself a disservice to automatically disqualify phones under $200 off the cuff. That said, I agree with others that you might want to try the 225i with something other than the iPod touch. I had one for a few weeks, and sold mine because I preferred my regular iPod.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

so by your logic, you shouldn't buy any headphones under $400 too then, because you got ****ty headphones for that price?

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of prejudging phones you've never seen or heard, why not consider the opinions of people who actually own them? I own the AD700. I've owned the HD555. They're both solid headphones. I'd pick the AD700 over any phones under $250. You're doing yourself a disservice to automatically disqualify phones under $200 off the cuff. That said, I agree with others that you might want to try the 225i with something other than the iPod touch. I had one for a few weeks, and sold mine because I preferred my regular iPod.

The ipod touch is probably the best sounding ipod yet. The point is not that he needs another ipod, it's that the ipod (any of them) is not a high end source and amp.
I find it works nicely with even high end shures like the se530s, but when you plug those phones into a high end system and listen to the same song you just heard on the ipod you realize even those aren't going near their full potential.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

This is because you made the decision based on the price (and the price only?). The "if it's expensive then it must be good" syndrome
wink.gif

Re: your dissatisfaction.
What aspect of the SR225i are you not satisfied with?
Or perhaps: what audio equipment have you had in the past that has given you the satisfaction you're looking for?

Is there any amp you can borrow and try?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back