So I bought some Grado SR225i's...
Feb 28, 2009 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Kayito-san

100+ Head-Fier
Initially my quest had been isolated to either Grado SR325i or AKG K701s... But I bought SR225is instead. And I can't help but feel some pangs of regret; Although they're good... I don't know if they were worth the money ($310 CDN), and after some listening, I began to feel like I was missing out on some of the sound. The headphones are on-ear opens, and I listen mainly to technical metal...

Am I the only one who's dubious about these phones? My only reassurance is that I'm not broke yet, and I may still be able to buy some AKG K701s...

Help. Some reassurance would be appreciated...

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 43
If you listen mostly to metal, then what are you worried for? 701s have a reputation for being good with classical, not metal. Grado has a reputation for rock/metal. 325i vs 225i. People around here usually recommend the 225i because they say the 325i can have piercing highs and sound shrill. So out of those, for your tastes, it looks like you chose right.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 43
You don't like the Grados for metal? Crazy!

At least you didn't buy the K701/K702...they're extremely airy and polite on how they shape the sound.

I think that if you still don't like the 'phones in a few more days, return them, because you'll never be able to associate the 'phone with good feelings (or good sound). Maybe try a Sennheiser HD600 instead?
smile.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 43
Grado + metal = kickass combination in my ears mostly.

With K701, you would gain a bigger and deeper soundstage and great detail, but lose bass punch and sharpness of the guitars. K701 is very neutral and unexiting sounding compared to Grados, too polite and airy. For metal, you dont lose anything by not getting K701.

There are metal genres where larger soundstage is a must and Grados dont cut it. (Grados are better at the "headbanging metal") But I can think a couple of headphones that has a large soundstage and more suitable for metal than K701, Beyerdynamic DT990 and Sony SA5000 being one of them. You might want to check those two out someday?

But question is, what do you think you are missing? What is your source and amplifier?

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 43
Perhaps... But it still seems slightly off... Maybe I need to break them in or something. Still, I like some classical, and I do listen to a lot of syphonic/ambient/progressive music... And typically, closed over-ear headphones have much more precise bass (IE the K701s versus the open, on-ear 255's.)

I'm gonna go put these puppies through some extensive testing, and report back.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't help but feel some pangs of regret

This is, of course, just typical buyer's remorse following a difficult decision based on a gut feeling and roll of the dice. Once you are able to listen to your music without thinking of the might haves and could haves, trust me, the headphones will sound better to you.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 43
Source is an iPod Touch and I don't have an amp-- I know, I know, it's all about source and amp. But the thing is, soundstage and clarity are important to me, because I listen to two seemingly opposed types of metal; Ultra-technical, and symphonic/ambient/progressive... I'm not sure if that clarifies anything.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Source is an iPod Touch

With that, you certainly would not be driving a K701 with any success at all.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Source is an iPod Touch and I don't have an amp-- I know, I know, it's all about source and amp. But the thing is, soundstage and clarity are important to me, because I listen to two seemingly opposed types of metal; Ultra-technical, and symphonic/ambient/progressive... I'm not sure if that clarifies anything.

Well, it does. Symphonic etc... metal that strives for atmosphere, that is not Grados strongest part... That is where headphones with larger soundstage is recommended, but Grados ruin it a bit with their in-your-face sound. But for technical or fast metal Grados rule, and especially in straighforward Thrash and Death Metal. Their presentation of distorted guitars is simply fantastic. DT990 would be better for the former, but then again you would need atleast some portable amplifier to drive them properly. I have two headphones for metal, SA5000 and SR225. While I mainly use SA5000 for pretty much everything, there are times when Grados are simply needed.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 43
I've driven my K701 from an iPod and enjoyed it. I've also spent a bit of time listening to Tool lately.

I prefer my AD700 for plugging into my Macbook or iPod as it requires less power for the volume.

Trust your ears, and leave other people to argue over how the phones are supposed to sound.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 43
Yeah had the same impression as you the first days. They sounded awesome, but not as good as the ones I tried at the shop. Seems that "burn in" process gives them more life.

Now I enjoy my grados so much with all the metal I listen too.

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it does. Symphonic etc... metal that strives for atmosphere, that is not Grados strongest part... That is where headphones with larger soundstage is recommended, but Grados ruin it a bit with their in-your-face sound. But for technical or fast metal Grados rule, and especially in straighforward Thrash and Death Metal. Their presentation of distorted guitars is simply fantastic. DT990 would be better for the former, but then again you would need atleast some portable amplifier to drive them properly. I have two headphones for metal, SA5000 and SR225. While I mainly use SA5000 for pretty much everything, there are times when Grados are simply needed.

Yes, in your face... reminds me of Children Of Bodom.
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 43
K701 phones are open as well. I'm not sure what more your expecting. In my experience, most phones seem very thin sounding when you first buy them, but after a few hours of listening they begin to develop a fullness of sound that is really great. Report back to us after burning them in for 10 hours or so. I listen to a lot of metal with my 325is [as an aside, the 325i & is are not harsh or shrill in the highs at all. Maybe they were in the past but they certainly are not now] and they are spectacular.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, that being the case, I might just buy a second pair of something else (something with a more 'vibrant' sound, if that makes any sense), and an amp later on. Thing is, AKG K701s are pretty hard to find anyways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be that your source+amp isn't a good match.. what is it?

I don't have an amp-- yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back