So I bought a pair of Audio Technica M50s
Sep 14, 2010 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Megatetrahedron

New Head-Fier
Or ath-m50. Previously I've used a Sennheiser HD215 (which I think are very horrible sound quality wise) and a Philips HP840 which I loved dearly.

First impression was a good one. Excellent build quality, but only a 6/10 on my subjective comfort-o-meter. It's a pity about the pleather, which I'm not too fond of, however I was prepared for this before making the purchase so no big deal.

My initial impressions about the sound quality was a bit of a let down, especially after reading so many raving reviews. But boy was I in for a treat. Now, after over two weeks of heavy usage I can't believe how horrible my previous pair of cans sound.

I cannot stress the importance of burn in with the M50. The difference it makes is unbelievable.

Watching movies with these on is just wonderful. Gaming is also great, gun shots and explosions really come through, though soundstage is fairly poor. I mainly listen to metal and post-rock, and for both these genres the M50 seems to be perfectly suited.

A hell of a lot of power and bass without compromising the mids and highs. My single greatest problem is that they're not particularly comfortable for someone with a large head.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 3
lol what is an NZD.  the M-50's are near 100 USD so I am guessing your HP840 only cost around 40-50 USD.  the m50's would be good for all around music i would think.  if it has too much bass, get a software equalizer and turn it down a notch.  the m50's are still on my list for the future, because i hear great things about them all the time.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 3
Regarding the bass, it seems to smooth out in the first 50 hours and the treble settles down as well. These headphones really need a desktop amp to sound their best, like most phones. You can reduce the bass by pulling off the pads and putting masking tape over a few of the holes. Cheap, reversible mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back