So I actually bought a gaming computer *gasp*
Mar 22, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For XP, yeah, I'd go X-fi for gaming as some games throw hissy fits (Blue screens) at Asus sound drivers on XP.
I know that Valve made games work fine = good.

If you lsiten to music more = better alternatives (e.g. Asus' line) out there.

Valve doesn't rely on anything Creative has over anyone else though, so thats really a mute point

and I wouldn't at all think staring the "all other cards are always better than Creative" rant is an appropriate thing to do in this thread, but whatever floats your boat

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #17 of 45
Elite PRO doesn´t have much in amping. No dedicated hp amplifier like on some of the Auzentech and Asus offerings. A bit more signal strength then the Xtrememusic but not much. No problem with volume though since I have low impedance headphones. The DT 770 PRO is a bit on the limit regarding volume. However have used my headphone amps for 99 % of my times on it. If you don´t want to get an amp the Auzentechs card is preferrable definiatly.

What I like with the Elite PRO is that they have actually focused quite a lot more on sound quality rather then 3d algorithms for games... You bypass pretty much all of the filters if you choose the audio creation mode which helps tons with the sound quality. the noise floor is absolutely dead silent and good dynamics.

ELITE PRO is always written in caps don´t ask me why it´s supposed to be that way
wink.gif

As for the Creative thing it´s the same as the Bose, EA, MS thing. As soon a company gets "to big" it´s cool to diss it for the "indie" companies. Though Creatives support has been far then stellar with lots of broken promises and not to good after market driver support. Got an mpeg2 card that they never released working drivers for example. So it´s not all unfunded. But really they do make some really great products and long time since I had driver issues with them.

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #18 of 45
the EP's external box (that huge surfboard thing it comes with) has a "dedicated headphone output" with a volume knob, I'm just wondering if thats actually a proper amp (like the E-MU cards have) or the junk they've been passing off as an amp for years (like Audigy Platinum has)

and I agree on the sound quality with the EP (the X-Fi Prelude is similar), you get the gaming "toys", as well as the sound quality "toys"
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Valve doesn't rely on anything Creative has over anyone else though, so thats really a mute point

It isn't a mute point as some games I've tried (e.g. Dawn of War series) have hissy fits (BSOD's) over Asus siound drivers and yes, it is the driver going by the name of the .sys file.

Quote:

and I wouldn't at all think staring the "all other cards are always better than Creative" rant is an appropriate thing to do in this thread, but whatever floats your boat

Way to assume stuff and put words in my mouth. I'm saying the Asus ones are better in terms of value.
If Creative made a great value product, then yeah, I'll promote it.

I've had Nvidia and ATI graphics cards and used Intel and AMD CPU's not because my fanboi allegiance switched back and forth... :/
I (and many others) don't have a crapload of different branded audio products because they're fanbois to them all.....
I act like most rational consumers: I get the best value, the best bang-for-my-buck, I can get within my budget and suits my wants/needs out of that product regardless of brand.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluegun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I looked at the prices of the auzen's cards... WOW. What is a *cheap* card that works decently well?

whats cheap for you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It isn't a mute point as some games I've tried (e.g. Dawn of War series) have hissy fits (BSOD's) over Asus siound drivers and yes, it is the driver going by the name of the .sys file.

what unrelated software! my point was that Valve games don't rely on Creative hardware vs Asus (C-Media) vs VIA, etc, other software is a different story, Valve is just a bad example

Quote:

Way to assume stuff and put words in my mouth. I'm saying the Asus ones are better in terms of value.
If Creative made a great value product, then yeah, I'll promote it.

prove that asus is "better", and prove that creative is a "bad product"
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #22 of 45
obob you really don't like it when people critise your gear do you? I have a X-Fi it's alright but I do know people are unhappy with Creative due to varous problems of which I have had, luckily not to the point of the worst effected- constant BSOD, constant disappearing cards, loud screeching etc. Also the debacle with Creative disabling features for the Vista drivers (now re-enabled only due to backlash they received and that bloke who released hacked versions, and creatives response to that person)

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
obob you really don't like it when people critise your gear do you?

I could care less what people think of my gear, I'm not defined by my system, and my status in the world is not defined by my material posessions, I enjoy what I own, and it works for me, if its too "low end" for you, thats great

Quote:

I have a X-Fi it's alright but I do know people are unhappy with Creative due to varous problems of which I have had, luckily not to the point of the worst effected- constant BSOD, constant disappearing cards, loud screeching etc. Also the debacle with Creative disabling features for the Vista drivers (now re-enabled only due to backlash they received and that bloke who released hacked versions, and creatives response to that person)

this is what I have a problem with, is people saying "I know people have problems with them" and that instantly voids them as a suitable solution, which leads to the "GET ASUS GET ASUS GET ASUS" rants, even though if you looked at "show of hands how many creative owners vs the total have problems" compared to "show of hands how many asus owners vs the total have problems", it'd probably be about similar, and Asus cards have a similar number of "issues" under WinVista (I've told you a number of times, half of the problem is Microsoft, Creative just handled their PR bad with the ordeal (which was what? nearly five years ago....
rolleyes.gif
))

as far as your bad luck with Creative, sorry to hear it, it is likely fixable (but don't expect to get help with your attitude towards it), and you aren't representative of the entire world, on the whole, Creative produces a product that matches or exceeds the software and hardware stability of the competition, and matches or exceeds the abilities of the compeition (and I'm gonna lulz when you post SNR figures and act snooty about it, be forewarned)

the "disabled features" rant you go off on almost daily, care to enlighten us? as I've yet to find any features lacking (at least anything you need)

and if this is just gonna turn into another "iriverdude said his peace, and therefore the universe should acknowledge that, and iriverdude is the god and master of all knowledge, merely here to save head-fi from its ignorance", see sig points 1 and 3 and have a nice day

Quote:

Cheap to me is maybe around $50 US? And better than integrated. Or should I just get the TBSC from my old computer and use that?

thats kind of an issue, unless you're ok looking for used equipment
at $50 US you can't really get a "gaming" card new, you can get some older era multimedia cards (like the Turtle Beach Montegro, it does have DDL, which might be "enough" for what you want (hey, if it does what you want, why not?)), theres also some Diamond cards as well

Creative and Asus wise, ~$75 is more of the "entry-point"

look here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=montego%20DDL

that work?

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #26 of 45
Man you know nothing about the history of the X-Fi's. The problems weren't just an occasional person, it was hundreds of people, with various boards, chipsets whatever you name it. The Vista driver disabling thing, the 15? year old kid who reenabled those features was well known, I suggest you find out more info rather than pretend to know more than me. You're just trying to sound more knowledgable than me when you're not. Creative blaming chipset manu. chipset manu. blaming creative, no-one admitting their fault no hints of fixes.

If my X-Fi kept disappearing all the time I'd rip it out and throw it in the bin, luckily it's only done it probably 2 times in a year.

oh and 4GB Vista bug (with a X-Fi card)

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

I'm okay looking for used, but would prefer refurb if I am going used.

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Refurbished SB0240 - Creative Labs Certified Product - Hear the amazing difference that 24-bit ADVANCED HD™

Shop Creative Labs Outlet: Creative Refurbished ZEN MP3 Players, Sound Blaster X-Fi, Creative Refurbished Speakers

and check the newegg link as well (idk if you saw it, since it was an edit)

I'd take the Audigy 2 over the XtremeMusic personally, and SRC is not a problem
beerchug.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Why would you take an audigy 2 over an x-fi?

because its the baby X-Fi, with no X-RAM, so the performance advantages are going to be very minimal, and component quality differences between the two are more or less non-existant, so unless you absolutely have to have EAX 5.0 (for the one or two games that can support it), I wouldn't have an issue with the A2

as far as "lower quality than my TBSC", based on what? either card is better on paper, and both offer much newer driver packages for Win2k and XP (especially in regards to multimedia applications (i.e: Dolby) and gaming)

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #30 of 45
I meant lower pure sound quality. I was hoping to at least EQUAL the tbsc's pure sound quality (I remember a LOT of reviews saying it was better than the audigy 2 in sound quality), and surpass it in gaming...?

And I dont want to play quake 4 or battlefield 2! I am a strategy gamer! I dont need X Ram...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back