So I actually bought a gaming computer *gasp*
Mar 23, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluegun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant lower pure sound quality. I was hoping to at least EQUAL the tbsc's pure sound quality (I remember a LOT of reviews saying it was better than the audigy 2 in sound quality), and surpass it in gaming...?

Audigy 2 should have no issues doing this, same for the X-Fi (they're really gonna be about on the same level, I just like the A2 more due to the remote and because it isn't designed as the "bottom rung" of its product line)

idk, anti-creative is popular opinion, so unless you've got a solid review proving your point (on paper, the A2 is better), I wouldn't worry too much
beerchug.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #32 of 45
X-fi Xtrememusic (not Xtremegamer or what the ripoff is called) wasa noticable improvement over the Audigy 2. If you are going audigy it´s Audigy 4 you should look for. It should looking to specs be better then the Xtrememusic for music.

Santa Cruz I remembered was compared to Nforce soundstorm and Audigy and audigy 2. Many mentioning it´s not being asgood as the Audigy 2 either so audigy 4 if music is the priority or X-fi Xtrememusic for gaming.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #33 of 45
Of my 2005 PC, the only thing that has survived is my good old xFi platinum,
everything was upgraded except that one. We can blame about sound quality or driver issue(by the way I never had a problem with xfi drivers, maybe some freeze when changing audio console), but those 180eur, were my best investment over PC.

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X-fi Xtrememusic (not Xtremegamer or what the ripoff is called) wasa noticable improvement over the Audigy 2. If you are going audigy it´s Audigy 4 you should look for. It should looking to specs be better then the Xtrememusic for music.

Santa Cruz I remembered was compared to Nforce soundstorm and Audigy and audigy 2. Many mentioning it´s not being asgood as the Audigy 2 either so audigy 4 if music is the priority or X-fi Xtrememusic for gaming.

not all "Audigy 4" are better, only the one labled "Audigy 4 Pro" is actually "better" (its the exact same card as the Audigy 2 ZS, just re-badged marketing and some very very minor changes), the card labeled "Audigy 4" is nothing alongside a decent A2 or A2ZS (like the Platinum's or PP's)

as far as "I AM STRATEGY GAMER!", great for you
tongue.gif
, either board would still be a good choice, so why are we dragging this out?

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #35 of 45
First, I should ask, have you tried the integrated on your motherboard (exactly what motherboard do you have anyway)? If not, integrated solutions have been improving, you might be satisfied with what you already have (particularly if you have the Realtek ALC889A, which is supposed to be excellent)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluegun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheap to me is maybe around $50 US? And better than integrated. Or should I just get the TBSC from my old computer and use that?

$50 is pretty tight for a good sound card. You can get a refurbished X-Fi XtremeMusic from Creative's outlet store here for $44.99:

Shop Creative Labs Outlet: Creative Refurbished ZEN MP3 Players, Sound Blaster X-Fi, Creative Refurbished Speakers

Not sure if anyone has linked you to this already.

They also have a refurbished Audigy 2 Platinum for $49.99:

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Refurbished SB0240 - Creative Labs Certified Product - Hear the amazing difference that 24-bit ADVANCED HD™

I'm not sure if it comes with the remote and breakout box, should probably check that first. Personally I'd go with the XtremeMusic though.

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #36 of 45
Mar 24, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there.

rehashing from 2 pages ago is fun

inb4 we get to see "but isn't audigy 2 worse than this" and "isn't TBSC better than this" repeated again

i'm out.

Yeah, I should've known it was brought up already. My apologies.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #39 of 45
Well the computer gets here the 30th, and I will probably try messing around with it as is for a little bit, maybe put my tbsc in there and see how it does, and then, after a little bit, probably buy something from creative.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #40 of 45
I would go both for an X-fi XtremeGamer for your games and an external dac for your headphones.

I do have to say though, a nice dac will work extremely well for gaming, the positional accuracy will suffer somewhat and the number of distinct sounds will be less but sometimes its good to keep it simple.

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go both for an X-fi XtremeGamer for your games and an external dac for your headphones.

I do have to say though, a nice dac will work extremely well for gaming, the positional accuracy will suffer somewhat and the number of distinct sounds will be less but sometimes its good to keep it simple.

what do you mean accuracy will suffer? are you saying a DAC with no X-Fi? or DAC from X-Fi?

and when you say external DAC, you mean with an amplifier as well, or do you mean rigged together "Bose style":
Connect Headphones to 321 Series I Systems - Bose Around-Ear Headphones Setup Help - Bose Owners

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #42 of 45
Mar 24, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh yeah, of course

but you can plug such a DAC into an X-Fi, and have the "best of both worlds"

Dont know, never tried it, good point though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back