So, How's your Leopard experience?
Feb 15, 2008 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, my macbook is my first mac experience and so far I'm loving it. I love iCal, address book, spaces, expose, active corners, widgets. Docks is allright but I prefer windows classic menu. Leopard definitely is a lot better than Vista.

Problems I have which were not fixed up to now,

File sharing with windows network
When I first got my macbook, it able to detect and join my windows network. However, when I start installing osx update, it's all gone and I have to connect them up one by one everytime I start my macbook (smb//...) It sure is annoying and I can't use my printer connected to one of my pc desktop which forced me to connect it directly to my macbook everytime I need to print one.

Unable to see one of my NTFS partition
I've partitioned my hd to 3 partition, HFS+ for OSX, NTFS for Xp, and another NTFS for personal files. I have paragon NTFS to be able to write on NTFS partition from osx. I got no problem writing on ntfs partition on external hd. At first, osx able to see my ntfs partition but it can't see files saved by xp on that partition and vice versa, xp also unable to see files saved by osx. Now, osx is unable even to see that ntfs partition eventhough it's working fine when I use xp from bootcamp.

bootcamp annoying trackpad problem.
It's very annoying to type in my xp bootcamp since they have not figure out on putting trackpad menu. I want double tap, disable trackpad while typing.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 45
I like Leopard - I'm a bit disappointed with how long it takes to boot up though...
Tiger was ready to go in less than 20 seconds, whereas Leopard takes about a minute before it's totally finished loading up.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 45
My Leopard (Mac OS 10.5) experience are really great.
Performed an Archive and Install from Mac OS 10.4, and its just been a pure bliss. Just like with Mac OS 10.4 and 10.3...

I don't network with MS Windows computers, run Bootcamp, or use non-Mac formatted disks though.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Leopard - I'm a bit disappointed with how long it takes to boot up though...
Tiger was ready to go in less than 20 seconds, whereas Leopard takes about a minute before it's totally finished loading up.

True, it was fast when I first got it, however with each update, it seems getting slower & slower.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 45
The only problem I have with leopard is it doesn't work with my phone anymore (phone as modem) because they changed the way the drivers work.

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really I have had the complete opposite experience. I have been booting up much faster in Leopard.

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 45
On my 3 year old PowerBook Leopard is running great. It is booting fast and runs really nice. Spaces is the thing i missed in Tiger and Panther because with a 12" Screen working can get a bit annoying but with Spaces it is very nice.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 45
I've been really pleased with Leopard. It's faster across the board. I use Spaces for everything now. Time Machine is nice. ZFS is a blessing. The systemwide calendar store is awesome. I use a program called TimeLog for keeping track of time and before Leopard it's integration with iCal was only so-so. Now it's instant, reliable, and elegant. And the little details are nice too: systemwide grammar checker (wish that could be customized though), the improved print dialogs, the new visualizations in iTunes, on and on.

Haven't run into any issues except for a bug in Mail that can cause notes to be duplicated in rare cases. I think that was fixed with the recent 10.5.2 update.

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 45
Is it worth upgrading from Tiger to Leopard, or should I wait for future OS X release?

(Is Leopard very different from Tiger, and will it take several iterations for all of it's potential to be developed)?

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 45
I did an easy upgrade from Tiger a couple of weeks after Leopard came out, and everything is running sweet. It runs much faster and cleaner than Tiger did, especially since 10.5.2 and the Graphics Update. Now Spaces, Dashboard and Stacks animate super smoothly, even when I'm pegging my CPU at 100% to do video conversions for iTunes using VisualHub.

FWIW, I'm running a MacBook C2D 2.0Ghz 250GB HDD and 1GB RAM

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 45
Love it mainly for the small changes but also some of the new big features: Time Machine, Spaces, systemwide spelling check, Quick Look by hitting the space button, new Help search feature (CMD+Shift+/), faster, easier Sharing and network connections, improved Finder (while keeping it lean unlike Path Finder), more powerful Preview, nicer overall look, editing file names doesn't highlight the extension, Mail's message URLs.

Things that could be improved: I'd like to have British English instead of AE for spelling and editing events in iCal (CMD+E) has become a pain in the ass.

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 45
Do you feel the big new features are fully developed, or are they still in rudimentary / experimental stage, and will be further refined in later OS releases?

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Things that could be improved: I'd like to have British English instead of AE for spelling

You can do this. Just change the default spelling dictionary to British English, and it propagates across every application. I have mine set to Canadian English.

I can't remember how I did it, but I think you just have to go into TextEdit, right click, "Spelling and Grammar", "Check Document Now" and then select a new language at the bottom of the dialog. I think that makes it the new systemwide default.

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can do this. Just change the default spelling dictionary to British English, and it propagates across every application. I have mine set to Canadian English.

I can't remember how I did it, but I think you just have to go into TextEdit, right click, "Spelling and Grammar", "Check Document Now" and then select a new language at the bottom of the dialog. I think that makes it the new systemwide default.

It worked, thanks for the tip!

Feb 17, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you feel the big new features are fully developed, or are they still in rudimentary / experimental stage, and will be further refined in later OS releases?

Leopard is solid. The 10.5.2 update that came out last week killed all the important gripes people were having, but even before that, it was solid. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the new features. Of course they'll evolve... for instance, Noel Dellafano has stated that Time Machine will use ZFS snapshots in the next big OS release, which will be nice, but right now it's a nice solid system.

Probably more important, there have been some big refinements in Tiger's key features. For instance, Spotlight is now several times faster, the interface is better, searches are easier, and it indexes applications separately for speed so if you want to use it as a launcher you can.

It's worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back