So how do you like the Zune 80?
Nov 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #92 of 177
I also gave up on Amazon and scanned the Target listings and found one in the store. The guy ahead of me bought the next to last one, and I got the last one.

So far - sound is good (compared to the IRiver 320 - about the same I think) and the video is amazing! Trying Media Monkey now to get my mp3s all tagged correctly.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #93 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by donaldekelly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also gave up on Amazon and scanned the Target listings and found one in the store. The guy ahead of me bought the next to last one, and I got the last one.

So far - sound is good (compared to the IRiver 320 - about the same I think) and the video is amazing! Trying Media Monkey now to get my mp3s all tagged correctly.

My local Targets (SLC UT) have been getting about 5 at a time. I got mine Monday....Local CC should some stock on and off this week too.
I got to get one for my wife now! She fell in love with the screen to show off pics of the baby....Here Zen Photo Sleek just doesn't cut it now....
Guess the Baby will get the hand me down Zen for her room....Seriously she has been listen to music since before birth! She loves the Format!!

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #94 of 177
My wife hasn't noticed I switched from a 'white' ipod to a 'black' zune. Maybe she won't notice my headphones too when I get that hd650! LOL
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #95 of 177
I would like to hear more of what current owners think of the "native" Zune 80 sound i.e. how does it sound through various headphones e.g. SR 60s, PX 100s, Portapros, etc. directly out of the headphone jack. This is probably the best place on the internet to get this kind of subjective judgement. Please leave equalization out of the discussion.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #96 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to hear more of what current owners think of the "native" Zune 80 sound i.e. how does it sound through various headphones e.g. SR 60s, PX 100s, Portapros, etc. directly out of the headphone jack. This is probably the best place on the internet to get this kind of subjective judgement. Please leave equalization out of the discussion.

That's what everyone has been commenting on, there hasn't been any EQ talks because there's no EQ with the Zune 80. Any comments on sound have been "native".

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #97 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what everyone has been commenting on, there hasn't been any EQ talks because there's no EQ with the Zune 80. Any comments on sound have been "native".

Right! I am just wanting to hear some more thoughts on the subject. I have the Zune 30 and several Creative player lying around. I personally have never had luck using EQ always liked it off. Finding a good headphone match has always worked better in my experience. That is why I asked about the sound through headphones that have a known character.

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #98 of 177
I listen via Denon C700's, Sony MDR-EX90's, and the ever faithful Sony Mdr-7506's.

For comparisons sake, I have owned the Creative Nomad II, Sansa E260, and Sony NZW-A818.

Having a strong background in audio engineering I understand that EQ in any form or fashion is a compromise to the sound, because the filters used, by design, introduce phase anomalies to the signal. This is the case with multithousand dollar analog parametric EQ's, and trust me when I say the digital or "emulated" EQ used in DAP's pretty much never does good things to your signal.

Having said all that, I will say that the Zune quite simply has a very clean, linear response. I don't know that I would call it "analytical" as much as "neutral". It does a good job of accuately and cleanly reproducing the source material. It does not sound quite as rich and dynamic as the Sony A818, but it has none of the slight hiss that is evident in the Sony unit, meaning it's about even, though for those who listen to music with extended quiet parts the Zune may be the better choice.

Of the headphones I have used with the unit, the Denon C700's are the best match as they have a solid clear bass presence and have been tuned to my taste without need for EQ.

I also have the 2nd gen Zune Dock and it has a line level out that is also impressively clean.

It is true, that if you were to thrash around the inteface with no music playing, some drive interference is audible. This does not happen when music is playing. It only happens when the amp is idle. Not an issue. Nowhwere (and I mean NOWHERE) near as nasty as the horrible screeches and digital artifacts present in the Sansa E260. In fact, it's quieter than the ever present hiss on the (excellent sounding) Sony A818. Don't fret about this.

The output stages of the Zune 80 continue in the tradition of the original Zune unit and utilize Wolfson chips in the output stages (I forget the chip #). All in all, I can't say the descision to remove the EQ was a bad one, especially if it contributes to the exceptionally clean sound of the output. To those who need permanent EQ, I would suggest considering headphones that have a response more tuned to your tastes, being able to have a clean signal path will do more good for the sound than artificially creating a response curve on a low horsepower proscessor. Something to think about.

Best Regards,

S6

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #99 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinner6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen via Denon C700's, Sony MDR-EX90's, and the ever faithful Sony Mdr-7506's.

For comparisons sake, I have owned the Creative Nomad II, Sansa E260, and Sony NZW-A818.

Having a strong background in audio engineering I understand that EQ in any form or fashion is a compromise to the sound, because the filters used, by design, introduce phase anomalies to the signal. This is the case with multithousand dollar analog parametric EQ's, and trust me when I say the digital or "emulated" EQ used in DAP's pretty much never does good things to your signal.

Having said all that, I will say that the Zune quite simply has a very clean, linear response. I don't know that I would call it "analytical" as much as "neutral". It does a good job of accuately and cleanly reproducing the source material. It does not sound quite as rich and dynamic as the Sony A818, but it has none of the slight hiss that is evident in the Sony unit, meaning it's about even, though for those who listen to music with extended quiet parts the Zune may be the better choice.

Of the headphones I have used with the unit, the Denon C700's are the best match as they have a solid clear bass presence and have been tuned to my taste without need for EQ.

I also have the 2nd gen Zune Dock and it has a line level out that is also impressively clean.

It is true, that if you were to thrash around the inteface with no music playing, some drive interference is audible. This does not happen when music is playing. It only happens when the amp is idle. Not an issue. Nowhwere (and I mean NOWHERE) near as nasty as the horrible screeches and digital artifacts present in the Sansa E260. In fact, it's quieter than the ever present hiss on the (excellent sounding) Sony A818. Don't fret about this.

The output stages of the Zune 80 continue in the tradition of the original Zune unit and utilize Wolfson chips in the output stages (I forget the chip #). All in all, I can't say the descision to remove the EQ was a bad one, especially if it contributes to the exceptionally clean sound of the output. To those who need permanent EQ, I would suggest considering headphones that have a response more tuned to your tastes, being able to have a clean signal path will do more good for the sound than artificially creating a response curve on a low horsepower proscessor. Something to think about.

Best Regards,

S6

Thank you for sharing your opinions.
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #100 of 177
Quote:

Best Regards,

S6

My name is Trastan, and I approve of this message. This is something that I've been suspecting, but it's very good to hear it as fact from someone in the know. Thanks for that post.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #104 of 177
Quote:

Best Regards,

S6

As others have said, Thanks for the articulate review of the Zune 80's sound. --NH

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #105 of 177
I posted this in another thread but it is a better fit here:
I have the Zune 80 GB and love it.

The only things that I wish were different is that there was "more". More options and additions to the interface. EQ (I wouldn't usually use it), some preset themes, able to delete from device, etc.

I was a Rio Karma owner, then Zen Vision M. Use of video is important to me, along with AQ.

The ability to actually hold the songs I want (for some reason I really want at least 30 GB with me...) and have plenty of video space is perfect. H264 hardware support is nice to have but I wish some additional containters were supported (only m4v)

Points are made about the pixel density. And they are of course very valid, and it would look better with higher. However, for me moving from a 2.5" diag to the 3.2" of the Zune, even at the same rez was a huge plus. Videos are far more enjoyable and at the typical distance I hold it while sitting it is a great compromise.

Also for those that want it, there is an awesome dock solution. Component video out, line out audio, etc. The ability to output full DVD rez, even with h264 over component is pretty cool (I do not have the dock, but could see this as being a really good feature for some)

The AQ is very good on this player, at least from a pick it up and casual listen standpoint. I haven't had the chance to really sit and listen but first listen with my Shure E4's and it seemed very open and clear. Compared to the ZVM, much better stereo seperation and less "in your head" sound...open and clear. Bass response at first listen seemed a bit stronger but the ZVM has EQ to more than offset if that floats your boat.

Overall very highly recommended from the hardware standpoint for someone who wants a device with good storage size (over 30GB), great screen size for videos, and a nice interface. Real button presses with touch is a very nice balance.

My biggest complaints: I want more fluff and features...stuff that can be added in a firmware update... I also don't like the fact I need to use the Zune software. Looks fine, etc...but I hate having another program, esp with WMP11's built in functions...I mean come on MS!!!

Also a sidenote. Not any old AC USB charger will work...I tried a cheapy on ebay and a Kodak brand AC, neither did. I think it needs some input from the middle pins. Anyway there are still some cheap options out there (grr at MS and the $30 rip off...with no cable even)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back