Snowboarding Headphones
Oct 2, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #16 of 54
Actually, yeah, the px 100's are worth checking out. I got my girlfriend a pair because they were like 50 bucks, and when I tried them, I was wowed.

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first of all what is your budget? The grados are probably not gonna be ideal for snowboarding. get the ue10 pro or ue11, they should be fine unamped. And by the way, the sr60s are never gonna be a very clear can no matter what amp you use. Lets face it, its a 69 dollar headphone

I have to add to the sr60 hate, amping those cans is NEVER the answer

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #19 of 54
1. You should be wearing a helmet dude, they aren't uncomfortable or uncool anymore, and a lot of resorts/areas are either requiring them or giving you a subsidy on your ticket if you are wearing one. I don't know if you're a park or freeride guy, but either way, your head is important.

2. I second the recommendation for the KSC75 while snowboarding. They're clip-ons so you won't have a headband bothering you, and they are relatively inexpensive so if one flies off and gets wet and is ruined, you aren't out a lot of money. For home audio, they might not be the best, but again, they are inexpensive so it won't cheat you out of a lot of your funds for getting a nice home cans set.

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. You should be wearing a helmet dude, they aren't uncomfortable or uncool anymore, and a lot of resorts/areas are either requiring them or giving you a subsidy on your ticket if you are wearing one. I don't know if you're a park or freeride guy, but either way, your head is important.

i value my head, just value my listening experience more

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #21 of 54
how about beyerdynamic dt770(get the newer edition). it will also serve as a good earmuff.

my friend got in an accident while snowboarding. the doctor said he would have been dead if he didnt have a helmet on. that helmet died, for him.

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #23 of 54
I recommend that you do not get any closed headphones or iems... stay with open headphones for skiing/snowboarding so you are kind of aware what is around you. Maybe try out some yuin pk2. Open and don't really require an amp (I dont like having too much stuff in my pockets while snowboarding).

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #24 of 54
A helmet will also help block some of the wind noise, which would otherwise make using the KSC-75 or earbuds hard. I guess a hat that covers your ears would help too. I'd recommend IEMs or canalbuds if you're not wearing a helmet or hat, and the Yuin PK2 or some other good earbud if you are.

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #25 of 54
Well actually I use my PX100's with an amp (iBasso P1) and they sound even better amped. I just figured you were wanting to travel light while snowboarding. Not a bad choice amped or unamped and no big deal if you trash them, although they do hold up to every day use pretty well. They have lasted alot longer than any other low price headphone I have ever used. By the way, they are open headphones and one more time - the really do sound good.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technik aka Jan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i value my head, just value my listening experience more

Don't you need your head to listen?

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #27 of 54
If your not wearing a helmet go for the senn px100's. I tried using my grados but that just didnt work for me, and i was in the same boat as you not likeing the IEMs. The px100s are a cheap pair of headphones with amazing sound for their price. Deffinetly worth looking into and wont burn a hole in your pocket if something should happen to them.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #28 of 54
Get Yuin PK2 earbud headphones then. This way you can snowbroad and wear helment.
icon10.gif

Personally, I don't think wearing headphones is safe while snowbroading but
I am bad in snowbroading anyway

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #29 of 54
I snowboard a lot for someone from flatland states, probably 15-20 days per winter at different places out west. I don't think it's very safe to snowboard with headphones if you're out on busy, wide beginner and intermediate runs, because there are too many people to avoid and so many of them are unpredictable beginners that can't control themselves enough to avoid you if they're coming straight for you.

If you're out on a less busy day or are spending time on more difficult stuff, or are in the park, you would probably be fine with headphones, but again, I don't think there's any reason why you should take a helmet off just for good sound quality while on the mountain. Outside noise from carving and wind and chairlift generators and other people take away enough detail out of your music that "high quality" listening is out of the question anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back