Snowboarding Headphones
Oct 2, 2007 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Technik aka Jan

New Head-Fier
I must admit i am an audiophile. i want everything to sound as it should, loud, sharp and crisp. only problem is while snowboarding its hard to find a good pair of phones. i started my collection with a pair of sony studio monitor 150s then moved on to a pair of grado sr 60s i like them, but am not in love with them. slightly uncomfortable but nice. i would like to step it up and get a better pair of phones for the upcoming season, and i would also like to use them for home audio. suggestions? im here to learn as much as i can

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technik aka Jan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
!warning! ultra noob comment alert !warning! what is a k1000?

Yay for not looking it up on Google Images or Head-Fi!

On topic, the KSC75 is what you are looking for.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 54
yeah, i googled it and got a pentax camera, so i dove a little further and found the akgs, either way, not everyone wants to hear what im listening too...

also that would be a big negative on those koss phones, i like to hear my music un-muddled thank you

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 54
first of all what is your budget? The grados are probably not gonna be ideal for snowboarding. get the ue10 pro or ue11, they should be fine unamped. And by the way, the sr60s are never gonna be a very clear can no matter what amp you use. Lets face it, its a 69 dollar headphone

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 54
i rode with the grados all last season and was fine, i have a problem with the in ears, because for some strange reason i get zits in my ear when i use them, which prevents me from enjoying the headphones. so i try to stick with over the ears. budget is basically 200 - 300 ish. i listen to rock and techno a lot. what are you thinking donunus

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #11 of 54
hmm I don't really have experience with snowboarding and how noisy it gets whether to recommend a closed or an open can but there doesn't seem to be very many choices for portable cans out there that are great. When I say great, I mean competitive with non-portable cans in the same price range. Closed Portable Models I can think of are the audio technica es7 or the sennheiser hd 25-1 while open cans in that price range that are small enough for that use and are ok like you said are the grados. The upper end grados might not be that big of an improvement from the sr60s though when driven with a portable and a high level of ambient noise is competing with its sound.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #13 of 54
Are you going to keep the K5 or get a Zune? That makes a difference wit what cans you can drive. The Zune will handle a harder to drive can than the K5.

Is $300 the max? Can you afford an amp?

What size do you want, is a full size headphone like the Grado ok or do you want something smaller?

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 54
full size headphone, open or closed cans, the ambient noise is never to bad, preferably with an amp. while the 300 dollars is not jsut for headphones. i would preferably spend like 100 - 150 for the phones, just incase you i get pushed or bumped by my friends, i dont want 300 dollars headphones going down the drain. what are my options that way?

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 54
I know these are way below your budget, but Senn PX100's sound pretty damn good. I have been using a pair for about a year, and would still be using them if I had not just upgraded to a pair of AT ES7's for my portable rig. The PX100's are cheap if you break them (40 to 50 dollars), compact and comfortable, not bad looking, and easily driven without an amp (32 ohms). Use these when snowboarding and buy something high-end for when you you don't have to worry about trashing them. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back