Smyth SVS Realiser Virtual Surround Technology for Headphones
May 28, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #91 of 334
Anybody can access Smyth's official website? Seems like it's down for an update.
wink.gif

May 28, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #93 of 334
It's pretty interesting to see how much people can write and what they can discuss although nobody ever tried any of the systems...the only thing being descriptions on the websites of the manufacturers.

Did somebody try to get a Headzone PRO system from Guitar Center?? They do sell beyerdynamic..

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #94 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's pretty interesting to see how much people can write and what they can discuss although nobody ever tried any of the systems...the only thing being descriptions on the websites of the manufacturers.

Did somebody try to get a Headzone PRO system from Guitar Center?? They do sell beyerdynamic..

Not so -- most of the posters here did listen to the SVS system at CanJam 08 ... that's what started this thread. I know I did, and the effect was fantastic.

The Smyth brothers claimed it was pretty original, and then we found the Headzone. Guitar Center does not have it, but Beyer has reached out to me and I will be getting a PRO, maybe not in time for the NJ meet, but soon.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #96 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been in contact with Mike Smyth and he says that October is looking to be the best time for a get together / demo at their place. They'll probably have production unit available then.

-Ed

I like the sound of that! I am, of course, in on a group buy, if such a thing ever materializes. I've been tracking (pun intended) anything and everything I could ever find about Smyth's SVS technology for years now. So when Mike announced that they would be making an appearance at CanJam, I was totally stoked! I was the first guy to sit in the demo chair early in the morning on Saturday since I had to leave for the airport and I wasn't about to miss out on the opportunity! That demo basically represented the sum total of all of my listening at CanJam, other than a brief demo on their gaming system in the main room. That was all I needed. I've heard everything else anyway.

Of course, I managed to drag bozebuttons into their speaker-based room (he didn't resist much) and gave him the "sorry about your wallet" speech. As everyone else has mentioned, it was every bit as fantastic as I had long since expected it to be, and I too begged to be on the "wait" or "order" list.

Great news that they're open to the possibility of hosting a group of Head-Fi'ers for another round of analysis of their technology, and having met these two fine gentlemen, I'm not at all surprised that they have no fear of whatever the competition might offer.

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread in terms of the timing of the Smyth meet in October and will try to make it if I can, especially if a commercially available unit will be available for sale at that time. Dibs!
cool.gif
There you go, I was the first to say dibs!

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #99 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully there shall be no Who-concert style tramplings at the doors of Smyth come meet day!
biggrin.gif

73 dead in Cleveland. I'm going to look that up now (good ole' Google) but I remember reading the Rolling Stone article about it at the time. Maybe it wasn't that many. More like 13 or so? Anyway, it was Cleveland. Link to come.

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #100 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
73 dead in Cleveland. I'm going to look that up now (good ole' Google) but I remember reading the Rolling Stone article about it at the time. Maybe it wasn't that many. More like 13 or so? Anyway, it was Cleveland. Link to come.

Ehhh, what do I know? Only 11 dead, and worse yet, it was in Cincinnati. I did read that RS article. I remember it because the cover had pictures of all of the people who died and some of them were my age the time (a high school junior).

Task Force

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #101 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ehhh, what do I know? Only 11 dead, and worse yet, it was in Cincinnati. I did read that RS article. I remember it because the cover had pictures of all of the people who died and some of them were my age the time (a high school junior).

Task Force

Ah, Cincinnati......

I'll start a Meet Thread for the trip to Smyth Research when we can set a date and time. It will most definitely be on the weekend, probably Saturday. And most likely mid to late October, although I'm pushing for mid October.

-Ed

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #102 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, Cincinnati......

I'll start a Meet Thread for the trip to Smyth Research when we can set a date and time. It will most definitely be on the weekend, probably Saturday. And most likely mid to late October, although I'm pushing for mid October.

-Ed

If the meet gods deign to strike me again (as they did for CanJam) it will be in late October, just when I have to be in L.A. for the Microsoft PDC conference...fingers crossed, but probably too much luck for one person
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #103 of 334
Any new news whatsoever on this product?
This is exactly what I have been after for years but was afraid to ask for.

I do like the fact the first version has only analogue Outputs. No matter what you have its covered. Dolby, DTS, Bluray lossless its all there for you.

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #104 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any new news whatsoever on this product?
This is exactly what I have been after for years but was afraid to ask for.

I do like the fact the first version has only analogue Outputs. No matter what you have its covered. Dolby, DTS, Bluray lossless its all there for you.

At the moment, only Beyerdynamic has the technology in production

Beyerdynamic Headzone® PRO XT is coming this fall:
Sonic State - News (Video Item) AES08: Mix 5.1 On Headphones, Beyer Dynamic show Headzone PRO XT

It will have even more advanced features than the Headzone PRO, but the price is even higher
frown.gif

Other variants:
Headzone Home
Headzone Gaming
Headzone Home HT

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #105 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Smyth brothers claimed it was pretty original, and then we found the Headzone.

Mike Smyth told me personally, to my face, in English that the only thing they've done was taken known research and knowledge (some over 50 years old) and have applied it in a novel fashion.

I don't think there is anyone on this board who is even remotely qualified to have the opinion that other companies have accomplished what the Smyths have accomplished other than at the most banal, superficial level.

Edit: Waveoman, I'm not addressing only your statement. It was simply the most convenient.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back