Smyth SVS Realiser Virtual Surround Technology for Headphones
Jul 19, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #271 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That makes sense. I know you really enjoy straight headphone presentation, though, and even your speakers are designed to be as headphone'y as possible.

The pair of Polk SDA CRS sound more like a surround sound system than a headphone, as there is still a lot of out of head experience - but the "false" surround stuff with the Polk seems to come from inside the back of my head, almost like a binaural recording with headphones.

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #272 of 334
Pics of my Crowson Tactile Transducer System.

Crowson A200 Amp
Edwood_CrowsonA200Amp_01.jpg

It has both single ended RCA and balanced TRS Inputs. Weird part is instead of labelling the two output controls on the front "Left" and "Right", they are Channel 1 and 2. And they are backwards of what they should really be. The left knob is Channel 1, which is actually the Right side. And Channel 2 is Left. I just swapped the input and the Speaker inputs.

Crowson TES100 Tactile Transducer. One of the two I'm using pictured.
Edwood_CrowsonTES100_01.jpg

Edwood_CrowsonTES100_02.jpg

It's very solid and hefty too. They weigh well over one pound each. They are about the size of a large coaster.

-Ed

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #273 of 334
This sounds fascinating! So is it safe to replace monitors with headphones for mixing? After it gets calibrated to a professional recording studio environment. For so long sound engineers have always said to mix on monitors, not headphones, but with the advent of the SVS Realiser, maybe that'll change.

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #274 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadFi Fanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sounds fascinating! So is it safe to replace monitors with headphones for mixing? After it gets calibrated to a professional recording studio environment. For so long sound engineers have always said to mix on monitors, not headphones, but with the advent of the SVS Realiser, maybe that'll change.

The Symth SVS is surprisingly effective. Much more so than earlier attempts at simulating Surround Sound with headphones.

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #275 of 334
Just got back from getting a Profile measured at Mi Casa, a Studio that does 7.1 sound mastering.

Blubliss and I were there along with Lorr from Smyth Research.

Edwood_RealiserProfile_MiCasa_01.jpg

Edwood_RealiserProfile_MiCasa_02.jpg

Amazing what a difference in sound quality the room measurement makes. Much clearer imaging and the frequeny response is more extended and flatter. While I was preferring the "Factory Camarillo" setting, my Mi Casa one is noticeably better.

If you have an opportunity to get yourself measured at a reference level sutdio, or anyone that has a mega $$$$ sound system, it's well worth the effort.

-Ed

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #276 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got back from getting a Profile measured at Mi Casa, a Studio that does 7.1 sound mastering.

Blubliss and I were there along with Lorr from Smyth Research.

Edwood_RealiserProfile_MiCasa_01.jpg

Edwood_RealiserProfile_MiCasa_02.jpg

Amazing what a difference in sound quality the room measurement makes. Much clearer imaging and the frequeny response is more extended and flatter. While I was preferring the "Factory Camarillo" setting, my Mi Casa one is noticeably better.

If you have an opportunity to get yourself measured at a reference level sutdio, or anyone that has a mega $$$$ sound system, it's well worth the effort.

-Ed

I'm sure it is. I signed up with Lorr to get measured at Mi Casa. But first, I need to get my hands on the Smyth SVS !

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #277 of 334
Got an email from Lorr today stating that my Realizer is now on the way! Yeah!

Initially, I'll only have the calibrations that were done at CanJam, but that's still a good start. Wish I could have made it out to the AIX studio for better measurements, but I'm sure I'll have a chance to do that some day. Can't wait to get back to Cayman with it in early September and do some measurements with my MBL system.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #278 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Initially, I'll only have the calibrations that were done at CanJam, but that's still a good start. Wish I could have made it out to the AIX studio for better measurements, but I'm sure I'll have a chance to do that some day. Can't wait to get back to Cayman with it in early September and do some measurements with my MBL system.

Where is Cayman ?

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #279 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When you get your Realiser, make sure to change the sweep time from 3sec to 12 sec. It's under the Speaker menu. Hit "Menu" then "SPK" Scroll down to "Excitation" then hit right, then "OK"

Also hit the upper right "!" button and Save settings.

Lorr said it would reduce the overall noise.
Basically makes those frequency sweeps for each speaker go much slower so it does a better sample.

-Ed

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #280 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you get your Realiser, make sure to change the sweep time from 3sec to 12 sec. It's under the Speaker menu. Hit "Menu" then "SPK" Scroll down to "Excitation" then hit right, then "OK"

Also hit the upper right "!" button and Save settings.

Lorr said it would reduce the overall noise.
Basically makes those frequency sweeps for each speaker go much slower so it does a better sample.

-Ed

Will do.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #281 of 334
I am very interested in this system. It seems like the perfect answer to my situation (have a $15,000+ sound system and neighbors are complaining.)

I live in Orange County, CA and I am wondering if it's pretty much mandatory to find a great place to perform measurement or are these uploadable through the internet??? Also, I wonder how this works with multiple listeners at one time.

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #282 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very interested in this system. It seems like the perfect answer to my situation (have a $15,000+ sound system and neighbors are complaining.)

That's what any headphone system is "best" for, although generally it can only provide 2-channels of audio, to your left and right ears, corresponding to 2-channels of source content.

What this SVS system has that makes it quite unique is the ability (through a digital processor) to "just about duplicate" (as interpreted by your ears and brain anyway) the precise sound as heard by your own ears of any MULTI-channel loudspeaker system in which a calibration (i.e. "sonic photograph" using sensitive microphones inserted in your ears) can be done.

The net result is that when playing back multi-channel source material through SVS and your headphones, it really does provide a remarkably satisfying illusion of listening through those same multi-channel loudspeakers (using the same electronics and in the same room environment in which the calibration was initially done).

Quote:

I live in Orange County, CA and I am wondering if it's pretty much mandatory to find a great place to perform measurement...

Yes, if your own $15K+ system is not already satisfactory. Or, you can do multiple calibrations (e.g. one in your own home, and one or more at other places you might be able to finnagle) and take your pick when you playback. There are four convenient "preset" buttons on the remote, but the SVS unit can handle essentially an infinite number of calibrations (stored on SD flash card and accessed through a card reader on the front of the unit) for you to manually select if they're not assigned to any of the four convenient presets.

Quote:

...or are these uploadable through the internet???

No. The calibration is a 2-part process, both of which involve YOUR EARS SPECIFICALLY.

One is for the room (speakers, electronics, room, baffles, carpet/wood, windows, doors, size, etc.) AS HEARD BY YOUR EARS (i.e. analyzed via the microphones inserted in your ears while sweep signals are sent to the individual speakers, in order to determine precisely how sound is heard as it enters YOUR ear canal). Other people's calibrations for the identical room will be different, since their ears, skull, etc., are different and sound waves will do different things in their ear canals. That's why the calibration microphones are inside YOUR ears. The calibration is not for the room only... it's for the room as heard by your ears.

The second part of the calibration is for your headphone/amp... again AS HEARD BY YOUR EARS. Similar calibration sounds are sent to the headphones and how they are heard by the calibration microphones inserted in your ears is absorbed by the processor. Once again, the result is UNIQUE TO YOUR EARS (and of course the headphone/amp).

The combination of these two parts produces the "personalization" (it can be named, say to represent the sound studio room in which the calibration was done).

Sure, this is just a pair of files on an SD flash card, but it can't really be shared between humans... as each person's ears are unique. Could I wear your prescription eyeglasses successfully? Likely not. Same story with our ears.

Quote:

Also, I wonder how this works with multiple listeners at one time.

Not at all. The current SVS Realiser unit only has a single internal processor so by design it's meant for a single listener.

Now you could buy two Realisers, and then hook up things so that each person's unique room personalization would be active in that unique box and the source component could feed both Realisers and on to two separate headphone/amp rigs. But that's what would be required, two separate and independent SVS boxes and headphone/amps.

Someday, perhaps, there might be a "dual Realiser" with two independent internal processor logic paths, supporting two independent personalizations simultaneously and also feeding two separate headphone outputs. You'd still need to headphone/amp setups, but at least the one dual-Realiser could support it properly.

Today... not.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #283 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenVariety /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I live in Orange County, CA and I am wondering if it's pretty much mandatory to find a great place to perform measurement or are these uploadable through the internet??? Also, I wonder how this works with multiple listeners at one time.

Since you're close to Los Angeles, there are several great places to get your personal PRIR measured. (Mi Casa, AIX, any place else you can convince someone).

While it is possible to email files and use them, it's unlikely it will sound "correct" to your ears, as everyone's ears, shapes, head shape are different.

The "Factory Camarillo" default PRIR that is included with the Realiser is a pretty good generic PRIR, but it's not the best.

For listening with several people it's certainly possible, just don't use the head tracker, and have several amps or outputs (using splitters, combination of PCM optical output to a dac, etc.). But you'll have to pick one PRIR.

I like to be selfish and use my Mi Casa PRIR.
biggrin.gif

Otherwise, if money's no object, you could always buy several Realisers, one per person.

-Ed

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #284 of 334
Jul 31, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #285 of 334
Thanks for all the detailed responses guys. They were really informative and cleared many things up for me. If I were to buy this I would have to turn off head tracking. I would need this system for multiple listeners.

I have to decide between this system and another system that was recommended to me for my main purpose of listening to movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back