Smyth SVS Realiser Virtual Surround Technology for Headphones
Sep 21, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #301 of 334
I realize they mix with the soundboard in place but it really can't help SQ to have that reflection/diffraction source in your lap

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #302 of 334
Don't notice anything weird in the SQ. I'm sure it would be more ideal to not have that mixing board there, but there's no way they'd move it. It's pretty much a permanent fixture.

The tweeters of the speakers are high enough up that it clears the mixing board though.

-Ed

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #305 of 334
Stereo works very well on the Realiser. It sounds like you are listening to real speakers, with sounds coming from the proper locations in the room.

For stereo sources on headphones, I prefer using the Realiser over no processing, and over Dolby Headphone. I feel that stereo is where the Realiser greatly outperforms DH. DH does a decent job for the surround channels, but DH seems to have much less accurate localization for the front channels and the phantom images between them.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #306 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stereo works very well on the Realiser. It sounds like you are listening to real speakers, with sounds coming from the proper locations in the room.

For stereo sources on headphones, I prefer using the Realiser over no processing, and over Dolby Headphone. I feel that stereo is where the Realiser greatly outperforms DH. DH does a decent job for the surround channels, but DH seems to have much less accurate localization for the front channels and the phantom images between them.

You can do all this with software which I found out recently.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #310 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For listening to stereophonic music with sounds seemingle coming from the proper locations in the room.

5.1 Headphone setup

Yes, tried that Dolby Heaphone Surround DSP in Foobar, and while it increases the headstage and wraps it around your head, it's nowhere near the convincing quality and localized "virtual speaker" effect that the Realiser produces.

Also, Foobar can't play back video like BluRay, h.264, DVD's etc. So it's an audio only application.

-Ed

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #311 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, tried that Dolby Heaphone Surround DSP in Foobar, and while it increases the headstage and wraps it around your head, it's nowhere near the convincing quality and localized "virtual speaker" effect that the Realiser produces.

Also, Foobar can't play back video like BluRay, h.264, DVD's etc. So it's an audio only application.

-Ed

This isn't simply Dolby Headphone which I'll add I found somewhat disappointing, this is 5 separate channels with Dolby Headphone running on each. Why don't you give it a try?

Regarding movies a similar setup can be achieved using GOM player.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #312 of 334
Quote:

This isn't simply Dolby Headphone which I'll add I found somewhat disappointing, this is 5 separate channels with Dolby Headphone running on each. Why don't you give it a try?

I tried DH and CM in foobar a few years ago. I find the Realiser to provide a much better effect.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #313 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried DH and CM in foobar a few years ago. I find the Realiser to provide a much better effect.

Well to be fair and not to populate this thread with any more talk of software variants we are comparing free to over $2,000 worth of equipment. I'd appreciate it if someone interested in multi directional headphone listening could follow my setup in particular and comment on the sound.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #314 of 334
Cool, thanks everybody! I was a little worried that the Realiser would be a waste given my gaming and movie preferences, because the majority of what I watch/play just has stereo.

One last question (please humor me by putting yourself in my position):
You have no audio gear of any kind.
All you have is an HD TV, an Emotiva UMC-1 processor (…whenever it finally gets released), and $3k to spend.
You can use your $3k to buy the Realiser/Stax bundle.
OR
Any headphones and amp of your choosing (for up to $3k).

Which would you choose?
Next, assume that you have to stick with your choice for 5 years, and can't buy anything new in the meantime--which do you choose?
Finally, assume that you only use this setup for movies and games—does your choice change?

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #315 of 334
Quote:

Regarding movies a similar setup can be achieved using GOM player.

I did give it a try. That's what I was commenting about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back