Smyth SVS Realiser - PRIR Exchange Thread
Jul 31, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #121 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just tried your Acoustic Zen PRIR and it sounds surprising good.  There's just a bit of reverberance (much less so than with other PRIRs I tried), but otherwise the tonality is very good and the overall presentation is detailed.  Soundstaging is good as well.  Very nice.  Thank you for sharing.

@everyone

If it hasn't been done already, I think it's about time we officially add "PRIR rolling" to the Head-Fi vernacular. :wink:

Happy to share. Good to hear it works for you. Yes, the room was still a little bright even though it did have acoustic wall treatment.

Did you know you can adjust the reverb? I haven't tried it yet, but here's what Lorr e-mailed me the other day:

Quote:
You can adjust REVERB while listening and take it almost all the way to anechoic (which of course sounds terrible).  Press MENU-ALL to get to the control.  100 and 200 are interesting settings but go through them while playing the musical loop (remember, it's mono, so solo a channel) as well as regular program.

-Lorr

Love the term "PRIR rolling"! Doesn't really roll off the tongue though...
-Darin

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #122 of 404
Quote:
<<Originally Posted by darinf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just uploaded another PRIR in the Darinf folder.

I had the opportunity to go to the Acoustic Zen factory today to do a PRIR with their demo system. The owner, Robert Lee was so nice. He said I could stay there as long as I wanted and come by any time>>

Thanks for doing this.  I am finding it very interesting to compare these calibrations from different listeners, rooms, and systems.  So the more the merrier.  I wish I could contribute something new, but it's not so easy to find places willing to submit to the process where I am.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #123 of 404
Quote:
Has any one tried hooking the smyth to a sub ? I'm curious if the outcome would be any similar to the real speakers.

I have two subs connected to the TAC outputs.  You have to play around with the bass settings, but it definitely works to add the visceral feeling of bass to what is coming though the headphones.  I wouldn't be happy without this.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #124 of 404
I also have tried Acoustic Zen PRIR, I think it is very good, it is even better than my favourate MSM one before, the sound provides more detailed and bigger soundstage, (I feel that if the front speaker is more than +-30degree, it will provide better surrounding feeling?) it has a little bit brighter compared to my MSM one, the overall experience is very nice to me, thanks for your contribution!

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #125 of 404
Quote:
I also have tried Acoustic Zen PRIR, I think it is very good, it is even better than my favourate MSM one before, the sound provides more detailed and bigger soundstage, (I feel that if the front speaker is more than +-30degree, it will provide better surrounding feeling?) it has a little bit brighter compared to my MSM one, the overall experience is very nice to me, thanks for your contribution!

Yes. At the factory in their listening room, they had done a lot of listening to find the best speaker placement and the sweet spot. In their case, the speakers ended up being -44 degrees and +46 degrees. Since I didn't ant to move their sweet spot or the big speakers, I just went with how they had it set up.

The room was somewhat bright, so I think the PRIR is bright too.  The electronics were all tube though.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #126 of 404
I uploaded another PRIR I did today at a local dealer. It's in the DarinF folder on DropBox.

Here's the info (which is also in a text file in the DropBox folder):

Quote:
Audio Revelation System - http://www.audiorevelation.com
PRIR Measurement done on August 1st, 2012 by Darin Fong

2.0 Channel System:

Magico Q3 speakers - http://magico.net/Product/Q3/Q3_01.php - $38,950.00 per pair
VAC Phi™ 300.1 2 channel tube amp - http://www.vac-amps.com/Phi_300p1.htm - $19,900

The actual system measured is pictured here:
http://www.audiorevelation.com/cre/information.php?info_id=13

I generated a 7.0 PRIR from their 2.0 channel system.

There are two versions which sound different. I am not sure why. I think the microphone placement was slightly different.

I also had the owner of the company, Jay, do a quick 2 channel PRIR which is included in this folder.

The owner didn't want to take much time to do the PRIR, so I did a quick 3 sec, 2 channel PRIR with him. But maybe his ears match closer to yours...

The owner, Jay, was very impressed with the "out of head" virtual speaker effect, but he said the tonal balance was all wrong when compared to the real speakers.

I didn't want to take too much time listening and comparing, but I also felt that the tonal balance was off. On the second PRIR I did, to me, the left channel was noticeably rolled off in the high's. The first one seemed closer. The odd thing was that I thought the mic placement was better in the 2nd PRIR. It's tough asking a newbie if the mics are placed properly. I need to build a rig that holds two mirrors and rests on my shoulders so I can see my ears and have a hand free to adjust the mics! I wonder how hard it would be to take a picture of my ears with a camera. I will try that next time.

Enjoy,
-Darin

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #127 of 404
Quote:
I uploaded another PRIR I did today at a local dealer. It's in the DarinF folder on DropBox.

Thanks much for uploading this!  I found both your recent PRIRs quite good to my ears.  It's a bit surprising.  The default PRIR on the Realiser sounds terrible.  But so far, there are a number of calibrations done by other people that sound quite good to my ears, and I have been an audiophile for quite some time.  Let's keep this up, and I will try to contribute as well.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #128 of 404
Quote:
Thanks much for uploading this!  I found both your recent PRIRs quite good to my ears.  It's a bit surprising.  The default PRIR on the Realiser sounds terrible.  But so far, there are a number of calibrations done by other people that sound quite good to my ears, and I have been an audiophile for quite some time.  Let's keep this up, and I will try to contribute as well.

No problem. I'm just glad someone is getting some use out of these files besides me.

I will be measuring a full home theater set up on August 11th. Lorr will be there too, so it should be a good measurement.

We should all post photos of our ears so we can see who has the most similar shaped ears and are more likely to be able to swap PRIR.

Maybe the Realiser 2.0 will be able to map or measure the ear shape and apply your ear shape to someone else's PRIR.

-Darin

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #129 of 404
1, Darinf, I have tried your new PRIR, Revelation one, I thinks it is terrific! The tone is better than the zen PRIR, same clearity, but better bass.

2, As you said, the revelation1 seems better than revelation 2, that is also I felt, the left speaker of  revelation2 seems roll off in high's I think the first one is better, have you found the reason?

3, I felt all three PRIR seems inbalance for me, (L &R inbalanced) the Left speaker seems at 15 degree and Right speaker at 30degree, the Zen PRIR seems balanced, I don't know why, I guess may be you did not move your head to the right and left in the same degree? or my ear is not suitable for yours? (but Zen PRIR and Cello PRIR seem very balance to me).

4, Again thanks very much or your sharing!

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #130 of 404
Quote:
2, As you said, the revelation1 seems better than revelation 2, that is also I felt, the left speaker of  revelation2 seems roll off in high's I think the first one is better, have you found the reason?

3, I felt all three PRIR seems inbalance for me, (L &R inbalanced) the Left speaker seems at 15 degree and Right speaker at 30degree, the Zen PRIR seems balanced, I don't know why, I guess may be you did not move your head to the right and left in the same degree? or my ear is not suitable for yours? (but Zen PRIR and Cello PRIR seem very balance to me).

4, Again thanks very much or your sharing!

2) I have no idea why there is such a difference between the two PRIR's. I assume it was due to the mic placement in my ears. I just realized that I can take a photo of my ears with the mics in them. I tried it and it works pretty well. This way I can check the placement of the mics myself without relying on someone else.

3) The speaker position (azimuth setting) and my head rotation is definitely accurate for the front two channels. I measured with a laser level and am pretty sure my head was rotated right at the speaker during the PRIR measurement. Not sure why it would sound different than the other PRIR's.

4) Happy to do it.

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #131 of 404
Quote:

The owner didn't want to take much time to do the PRIR, so I did a quick 3 sec, 2 channel PRIR with him. But maybe his ears match closer to yours...

The owner, Jay, was very impressed with the "out of head" virtual speaker effect, but he said the tonal balance was all wrong when compared to the real speakers.

So far this is my favorite preset, including the ones I made at AIX.  I did not find the tonal balance a problem, although it certainly could be when compared to the original.  Also, having done a number of calibrations with 3 seconds and then 12 seconds, I don't find a large difference between them.  I think the position of the mikes in the ears has way more impact, and even slight differences can alter the effect.  Anyway, thanks darinf for uploading the Revelation.  For me it has been a winner.

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #132 of 404
Just to add, I would agree that Revelation has better bass than Zen.  I did not notice any spatial problems.  Treble, as in cymbals clashing, etc. is excellent.  Bass, as in bass drums and such, solid and tight.  Spatial characteristics excellent.  I don't find reverb excessive.

So far many of the PRIRs others have uploaded, to my surprise, have very good speaker localization.  After listening to the default PRIR on the system, I would have expected a lot more variability.  The default 7.0's had poor localization with major offsets in the location of the virtual speakers.  And the tonality was horrible.  Where I do find variability is with the tonal characteristics of other people's PRIRs.  However, some of these are truly excellent.  The one characteristic for which the personalized PRIR always seems superior is the precise localization of instruments in the sound stage.  This is best with my own PRIR.  However, it is not bad at all with many of the others.

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #133 of 404
I just retested your Revelation PRIR, I think L and R are balanced, just I felt the left one has less clear position than the right one, perhaps this is the reason which makes me thought of unbalanced, beside this, everything seems excellent, very very nice one :)

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #134 of 404
I uploaded another PRIR in "DarinF/Cello 2.0 System ReDo".

Another PRIR of my 2.0 Cello system.

This time, I think the mic placement was much better than the first time I did a PRIR. This time, I think the sound is much more accurate. The room doesn't sound as bright either. It's still really bright, but not as bad as before.

Maybe the first time (my first PRIR ever), having the mics further out of my ear canal picked up a lot more room reflections than when the mics were much deeper in my ear canal.

In any case, I think you might like this better. I think the other Cello PRIR's I did are not very useable.

Enjoy,

-Darin

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #135 of 404
I uploaded some more PRIR's from today's home theater group meeting. See the info from the files below:

Quote:
Ivan's House Home Theater System
PRIR MEasurement done on August 11th, 2012

7.1 Channel System:

Triad Gold Speakers (L,R, and C channel) - http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irglcr.html
Triad Silver in-wall Speakers (Ls, Rs, RL, RR) - http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/iws4sur.html
Marantz AV-8003 Preamp processor - http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?Catid=AVSeparates&SubCatId=0&ProductId=AV8003

I do not know which amplifiers he was using or which subwoofers. (He had 4 subs running)

This is a custom built home theater 7.1 system in a custom room with room treatments, etc.

I included several different PRIR's.

This was a AVSForum meeting. So each PRIR is for a different person.

I thought maybe you might go through them and see which one works best for your ears. With more people, maybe there's a chance that one person will work better than another.

The only issue is that the PRIR's were done with the channel levels uncalibrated. So for all the PRIR's EXCEPT Darin and Ivan's, you should adjust the channel levels using the pink noise generator one channel at a time until they all sound equal in terms of volume levels. In general the surrounds were set too low.

We did not figure this out until most people left, so only me (Darin) and Ivan were able to redo our PRIR with calibrated levels.

I think you will like the bass better on this one even if the speakers are not nearly as good as the other 2 channel PRIR's I have posted before.

Enjoy!

-Darin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back