Smyth SVS Realiser - PRIR Exchange Thread
Feb 22, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #361 of 404
  I really currently have a hard time getting a good HPEQ for my Stax SR-009. I really do not know what I am doing wrong.

Do you follow the manual? Always reset a preset and verify channel mapping and angles etc. Activate PRIR diagnostics as described in that chapter, what values do you see?

Honestly if you follow the manual to the letter and verify settings, it's not possible to a miss a channel etc. But there's many details which might be forgotten.. also check what settings you have with RECALCULATE EQ / INVERSION SETUP - maybe they are non-default resulting in bright sound etc.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #362 of 404
Yeah I really double checked that stuff. Also I see mixed results doing different HPEQ files. Sometimes better, sometimes worse but never satisfying. May be I just do not place the mic´s right in my ears.

But like I said: I never experienced such problems when doing a HPEQ for my HD800.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #363 of 404
Yeah I really double checked that stuff. Also I see mixed results doing different HPEQ files. Sometimes better, sometimes worse but never satisfying. May be I just do not place the mic´s right in my ears.

But like I said: I never experienced such problems when doing a HPEQ for my HD800.

Strange, the SR-009 is imho miles ahead of the HD 800 with the Realiser. It takes time to get a perfect HPEQ. the best Results where when I did it immediately after the PRIR without changing the Mic position. But with the 009 I had also excellent outcoume without any PRIR (even better localisation) as the Stax flagship is quite neutral.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #364 of 404
Strange, the SR-009 is imho miles ahead of the HD 800 with the Realiser. It takes time to get a perfect HPEQ. the best Results where when I did it immediately after the PRIR without changing the Mic position. But with the 009 I had also excellent outcoume without any PRIR (even better localisation) as the Stax flagship is quite neutral.

I absolutely agree. The SR-009 without a HPEQ file sounds already better than the HD 800 with the HPEQ (for me personally at least). But there is this voice in my head always saying: How good could the SR-009 sound with a proper HPEQ? :wink:

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #367 of 404
A question:

If I understand it correctly, the result of the manual HPEQ routine (where I adjust the eq bands by comparing the pink noise with the phones and with the real speakers) is only valid with the speakers I made the HPEQ with and should not work with another set of speakers / PRIR - right?

Because with the manual HPEQ routine I am equalizing the headphones to the speakers I compare them with and not like the automatic routine with the result of the in ear mics...

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #368 of 404
  A question:

If I understand it correctly, the result of the manual HPEQ routine (where I adjust the eq bands by comparing the pink noise with the phones and with the real speakers) is only valid with the speakers I made the HPEQ with and should not work with another set of speakers / PRIR - right?

Because with the manual HPEQ routine I am equalizing the headphones to the speakers I compare them with and not like the automatic routine with the result of the in ear mics...

Think about it like this: it is irrelevant what speakers you use. The goal is to make the headphone sound the same as those speakers. When we achieve this, we have a correction curve (HPEQ) for that specific headphone. Logically the resulting curve will always be the same, regardless if the speakers are flat or not, as long as you achieve outputting that identical sound from headphones. The HPEQ is applied on top of any PRIR independently, so they are not in any way related.

Assuming you do it correctly, manual EQ is better than mics, since what you are actually correcting is the sound you (brain) hear - not what headphone is outputting. It will even compensate for some hearing loss and ear canal anomalities, which mics can't do - since they always hear everything flat and not how the end result is in your brain.

Granted, the manual EQ can be difficult and it's not 100% proof either (we already proved that HPEQ doesn't even touch any frequencies below 1khz). But it can also be used to tame bright sound if you intentionally lower the high freqs more.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #369 of 404
  A question:

HPEQ is only capturing the headphones on your ears.
To me, there is no link with the speakers correction.

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #370 of 404

HPEQ is only capturing the headphones on your ears.
To me, there is no link with the speakers correction.

Yeah I know.

I just was not sure if this is still the case with the manual HPEQ routine, where you are using the speakers or to be more exact one speaker to equalize the headphones. I was worried that the non-flatness / coloration of the speaker one uses to equalize the headphone in the manual mode might affect the HPEQ or push it in some direction in comparison to the measurement with the in-ear mics.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #371 of 404
So I have checked the operating manual of the Realiser again. See those quotes from the guide for the manual HPEQ routine (see page 61 and 62):

So the MANUAL EQ procedure can be done later, in another room and with other (reasonably good) speakers, and, for that listener, would benefit any PRIR auditioned with the

modified HPEQ.

Quote:
Of course, for this procedure, the real and virtual environments must match: same room, same speakers in the same positions, and same listener. 

Load the HPEQ file to be modified into HPEQ memory location 64. Load a preset with the same HPEQ and with the PRIR for the room, speakers and listener involved. Engage the preset. 

So I think somehow the speaker used for the manual routine are definitely affecting the HPEQ... Also it seems you can only do/create the manual HPEQ routine with a PRIR from the room and speakers you are in, not with any other PRIR.

How do you understand those quotes from the manual?

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #372 of 404
Too long since I did this so forgot things already...

I believe it simply means you need to use a PRIR to play back the pink noise. So first you must create a PRIR with the speakers you want to do manual EQ with. Which makes sense when you think about it - otherwise the pink noise doesn't sound like it's coming from the speakers/room. We want to match the real and virtual sound output. After this you can use the HPEQ independently.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #373 of 404
Too long since I did this so forgot things already...

I believe it simply means you need to use a PRIR to play back the pink noise. So first you must create a PRIR with the speakers you want to do manual EQ with. Which makes sense when you think about it - otherwise the pink noise doesn't sound like it's coming from the speakers/room. We want to match the real and virtual sound output. After this you can use the HPEQ independently.

Correct, but the manually optimized HPeQ File could be used with any other PRIR later.

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #374 of 404
Correct, but the manually optimized HPeQ File could be used with any other PRIR later.

Didn't I comment exactly that? 
confused.gif

"After this you can use the HPEQ independently."

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #375 of 404
Didn't I comment exactly that? :confused:

"After this you can use the HPEQ independently."

Sorry, you did indeed, my error. :cool:No one is questioning your status as one of the most knowledgeable Realiser users.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back