SMSL SU-9n ES9038PRO DAC is up NOW
Nov 7, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #61 of 88
Nobody can hear the differences with filters, unless the filter is incredibly poorly implemented.
I haven’t played with them. Haven’t had much “me time” for relax music listening lately. I don’t expect much difference with the filters either. But we’ll see. But it’s amazing to me how much tech has progressed in the audio world and how one can get such 💥 for the 💵 these days compared to years before…

Nov 8, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #62 of 88
I haven’t played with them. Haven’t had much “me time” for relax music listening lately. I don’t expect much difference with the filters either. But we’ll see. But it’s amazing to me how much tech has progressed in the audio world and how one can get such 💥 for the 💵 these days compared to years before…
Absolutely. I have spent far too much on a DAC before. My Gustard X16 is completely capable of being an end-game DAC for me. Audibly transparent, great construction, proper feature set for my needs, and all for what I felt was a reasonable price.

Nov 21, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #63 of 88
I got one, it's not bad actually, I'm trying to find fault with it but it's quite difficult. I'm just wondering has anyone any experience with running in these units, does perhaps the sound change a touch after good use? Many describe it as a fuller warmer presentation but I wouldn't say that, it's a leaner cleaner sound if anything.

Haven't played with the filters much yet, but a quick flick through and to my ears its practically no change. And the sound colours are barely audible either. Its almost pointless gimmicks as far as I can hear.

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #64 of 88
I just got one a couple weeks ago and really like it. I don't have a dedicated streamer at this point so have to use the Bluetooth option to stream from the phone to the DAC but still that sounds good to my half-shot ears. I listen to a lot of Jazz and acoustic bass sounds extremely well on this unit. It could just be a particular synergy with my system (Rogue Audio Pharaoh and Monitor Audio Bronze 6's) that makes it sound this well but I'm looking forward to getting a streamer to use with it. The SMSL SD-9 looks tempting but the reports of it being somewhat finicky scares the crap out of me, plus I'm looking for one that streams Amazon HD from the streamer itself rather than streaming from the phone. I had the new Bluesound Node but it was rather clunky to use also. Anyway, another positive vote for this particular DAC.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #65 of 88
MQA does nothing. It is ENC but if you feeeeeel it makes the music "better", by all means, pay for the privilege of being lied to. I have yet to meet anyone that can prove there is a difference. I pay for my music services or purchase CDs and records but to Hell with Stuart's BS.

But wait! Stuart's Folly does do some thing. Separate a frAudiophile and their money.

Rusty, crusty, and salty too? Ease up partner, don't bust a blood vessel.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #66 of 88
Nobody can hear the differences with filters, unless the filter is incredibly poorly implemented.
Speak for yourself. I have the Su-9 and I can hear differences between the LP filters and the DPLL settings through my Gustard H20 and Arya Stealths (and the v2's when I had them). They are subtle but apparent when taking treble sharpness and detail into account.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #67 of 88
Absolutely. I have spent far too much on a DAC before. My Gustard X16 is completely capable of being an end-game DAC for me. Audibly transparent, great construction, proper feature set for my needs, and all for what I felt was a reasonable price.
Do you have the H16 with it too? Do you like it? I thought about getting it but I got the H20 - some of that Class A goodness. If I hadn't got a decent used deal on the H20 I would have strongly looked into the H16.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #68 of 88
I got one, it's not bad actually, I'm trying to find fault with it but it's quite difficult. I'm just wondering has anyone any experience with running in these units, does perhaps the sound change a touch after good use? Many describe it as a fuller warmer presentation but I wouldn't say that, it's a leaner cleaner sound if anything.

Haven't played with the filters much yet, but a quick flick through and to my ears its practically no change. And the sound colours are barely audible either. Its almost pointless gimmicks as far as I can hear.
I have the MQA Su-9 and when I first got it, it was a little bright-ish and lean. After about a few days to a week it really smoothed out and started to bloom. It's still neutral but is not bright or brittle. Bass is full, deep, and detailed, and it has more refinement, better timbre, and better spatial reproduction than the Topping D30 it replaced. Not night and day but still quite noticeable.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #69 of 88
Most filters on dacs are very very very subtle....almost a waste of circuitry and time and effort for me....if you can REALLY hear real discernible differences then YOU ARE A RARE person...congrats to you!

But for most of us mere mortals...its a dont care....really...

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #70 of 88
Most filters on dacs are very very very subtle....almost a waste of circuitry and time and effort for me....if you can REALLY hear real discernible differences then YOU ARE A RARE person...congrats to you!

But for most of us mere mortals...its a dont care....really...
I just let my cousin borrow a set of Hifiman Ananda to allow him to hear a "quality" set of planar HPs. He's never heard a planar but I don't know if he'll actually "get" their SQ since they are not bass heavy, muffled, consumer cans. I agree that most regular folks don't care about stuff like this. But when one spends $$$$ (4 figures, or more) on a good HP and/or 2-ch setup, most would want to set up their components to maximize their investments and attain the best sound possible for the dollars invested. It may be a waste of time to optimally set up a DAC if I am listening to low-rez HPs, amps, and sources/files...but I've invested about ~$3,000 in my HP setup (over time) - between one set of primary high-end cans, my source chain, and it's associated equipment. In this instance, to not take the time to see which settings are best for my gear, my ears, and my tastes would be a more massive waste of both time and money. For the first time in a long time my setup is revealing enough to discern the differences in a DAC's LP filters and internal settings, op amps, Hi-Rez files, recording quality, and even some cables (cheap SPC vs OFC) - without feeling that I need or want to modify or upgrade anything at all. I'm still stoked when I listen to my music through my setup - a job well done while still being relatively budget conscience. YMMV.

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #72 of 88
MQA is ENC. The Emperor's New Clothes. Is the blue K-Mart light on? OOoooOooo...MQA must be working its magic. LOL!

I like my MQA sevice along with my Su-9 MQA DAC. That's what matters to me and to others - since you're not paying for my/our accounts nor are you listening to my/our gear/setups. Mocking and ridicule lessens your character. It's pretty silly and it's the same type of behavior that the GQPers and anti-maskers/vaxxers display. SMH...:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #73 of 88
It's pretty silly and it's the same type of behavior that the GQPers and anti-maskers/vaxxers display. SMH...:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Not quite, but there seems to be a lot more evidence around that MQA is nothing more than a name that people, in general, are no longer willing to pay for. It's hardly comparable to a global pandemic where people are reliant on governments and their agendas and good intentions we are not disputing that. However, among all that there is still mass confusion as to what is going on and where it all goes. A bit different from MQA.

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #74 of 88
I like my MQA sevice along with my Su-9 MQA DAC. That's what matters to me and to others - since you're not paying for my/our accounts nor are you listening to my/our gear/setups. Mocking and ridicule lessens your character. It's pretty silly and it's the same type of behavior that the GQPers and anti-maskers/vaxxers display. SMH...:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Stuff and nonsense. You strain at a bit and swallow the lie. You listen to equipment. I enjoy music. Try to enjoy yourself, sire. And what, pray tell, is a "GQPer"? I suspect an agenda is hidden in here some where so a pox on it. The FARCE is with you. LOL!

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #75 of 88
IMO MQA is another scheme to get bucks from folks making stuff under the guise of better "stuff"...if you have to strain to hear differences well that says it all.
I like many others who have spent many thousands of dollars on this stuff have come to the conclusion MQA is not any better than the non-MQA stuff....
Lemmings jump into the pool all the time.

If for any reason your a fan of MQA, good for you.

Just realize many of us are not MQA fans.

:>)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back