smsl su-8 dac?
Aug 22, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #76 of 463
thats the second one of these i have heard of doing this out of the blue. a friend has one and his did the same thing after taking his apart it was the power supply section that went out. im working of getting parts to see if we can repair it (he bought it second hand but the original owner only had it for a week)
okay, I better just check the fuse and return it to Massdrop if the fuse is OK

Sep 1, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #77 of 463
I had an issue with SU-8 u/ Volumio OS. When fed by USB from the RPi3b+ it was way to quiet from both outputs. I guess even less than 1V. I had to crank up the volume to the end and it was still to quiet. It did not happen under Coax and it sounded just beautiful. But I decided to return it.

Sep 1, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #79 of 463
I'd also consider the SMSL M8A, given that people say it's better than the Schiit Multibit, which would put it in the same rough ballpark as the D50 and SU-8. It's also got the Sabre chip, and they are still making it. It's got pretty good reviews on Amazon, and it talked up a fair bit on the threads it comes up in on audiophile forums. If you buy through amazon and get an Asurion/Squaretrade plan, you won't have to deal with SMSL directly, if it breaks, except while under SMSL warranty.

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #80 of 463
i held off with the su8 myself and ive been more and more hearing of issues. i have no issues with my topping stuff but pretty much everything smsl ive had one thing or another come up. and as athena said get the warranty if u can. from my personal experience smsl is useless with warranty issues. at least for me they were.

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #81 of 463
I've had zero issues with my SU-8 so far. Has been running constantly playing songs almost 24/7 for a few months no prob. Its using both the SE and Balanced outs simultaneously as well. Hopefully this trend will continue. Its hooked up to ebtech hum x and cyber-power pure sine wave ups and using usb to pc. Also using the Thesycon drivers

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #82 of 463
i held off with the su8 myself and ive been more and more hearing of issues. i have no issues with my topping stuff but pretty much everything smsl ive had one thing or another come up. and as athena said get the warranty if u can. from my personal experience smsl is useless with warranty issues. at least for me they were.

The SMSL M8A is faring very well on Amazon, review wise....no bloated 1-star section, unlike Hifiman products... I think it's often worth getting a warranty knowing there's a decent chance you'll have to use it--and I don't think you will, with the M8A.

Then again, I'm biased in SMSL's favor, as I've never tried a Topping, and love my SMSL M6 for its great value/price ratio, and the fact that it's held on, functioning well for several years....unlike my Trinity Audio or Hifiman products.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #83 of 463
note im talking about the su8 not the m8a. a friend of mine if on his third one now. first one just wouldnt power on one day then this new one he got from them (from massdrop smsl were worthless to deal with) works but he is getting a hiss or static on the left channel and we have done every test possible on it. its the unit. just my personal experience with them. and i want one myself so im not at all trying to be against the su8. i have not had luck personally with to much from smsl with the products ive owned sadly. the m8a seems to be a good device so far i dont hear of to many issues with it like the su8 seems to be having for some people.

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #84 of 463
The SMSL M8A is faring very well on Amazon, review wise....no bloated 1-star section, unlike Hifiman products... I think it's often worth getting a warranty knowing there's a decent chance you'll have to use it--and I don't think you will, with the M8A.

Then again, I'm biased in SMSL's favor, as I've never tried a Topping, and love my SMSL M6 for its great value/price ratio, and the fact that it's held on, functioning well for several years....unlike my Trinity Audio or Hifiman products.

I've got a Topping D50 as well. It sounds exactly the same to me as the SMSL. I'm even using an iFi wall wart with the D50 and its still no different to me in sound than the SMSL. The D50 has also been just as reliable as the SMSL and has also been on constantly for the same time since I got bot units within days of each other. I purchased from shenzen through Amazon for both.

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #85 of 463
I've got a Topping D50 as well. It sounds exactly the same to me as the SMSL. I'm even using an iFi wall wart with the D50 and its still no different to me in sound than the SMSL. The D50 has also been just as reliable as the SMSL and has also been on constantly for the same time since I got bot units within days of each other. I purchased from shenzen through Amazon for both.
Yup, from what I've read, they're pretty much the same thing in different boxes.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #86 of 463
I've had zero issues with my SU-8 so far. Has been running constantly playing songs almost 24/7 for a few months no prob. Its using both the SE and Balanced outs simultaneously as well. Hopefully this trend will continue. Its hooked up to ebtech hum x and cyber-power pure sine wave ups and using usb to pc. Also using the Thesycon drivers

Me too. No problems thus far. I'm digging this DAC. Gonna run a tube buffer out the RCAs to compare to the balanced output

Sep 5, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #87 of 463
Me too. No problems thus far. I'm digging this DAC. Gonna run a tube buffer out the RCAs to compare to the balanced output
That will be an interesting test. I saw just recently the thread on the audiosciencereview site on how the Balanced outs on the SU-8 aparently clip? What would that do to sound quality? I have my balanced outs going into a Krell preamp then to my balanced power amp and it sounds great. Maybe it was just the unit he tested? Who knows with all this inconsistent chi-fi right?

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #88 of 463
I addressed this in the comment section on YouTube @ Zeos' review about this DAC. This commenter was making a big deal about the ASR post regarding "clipping" via balanced outputs. I told him that I can't preceive any clipping or distortion. I use balanced outputs into my Jotunheim. If I can't even hear the distortion it, does it even matter if diagnostic equipment pick up the distortion? To me, no. I can not perceive any distortion whatsoever. Therefore, some guys' informal scientific measurements do not mean anything. Personally, I dig what i hear, and that's all that's relevant to me...

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #89 of 463
That will be an interesting test. I saw just recently the thread on the audiosciencereview site on how the Balanced outs on the SU-8 aparently clip? What would that do to sound quality? I have my balanced outs going into a Krell preamp then to my balanced power amp and it sounds great. Maybe it was just the unit he tested? Who knows with all this inconsistent chi-fi right?

I believe this was when the unit was maxed out and even so it was well below an audible threshhold? For $200 I'm in, should arrive end of this month. If it sounds anything like the DX7S and I'm able to go to town under the hood it'll be a winner. So long as the reliability holds up anyways.

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #90 of 463
I have purchased a Modi Multi Bit from a fellow Head-Fier. Will get back with impressions and comparisons with the SU-8!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back