smsl su-8 dac?
Sep 19, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #91 of 463
AthenaZephyrian,
I see in your signature "HE400i w/inverse EQ & surround-sound plugin" May I ask what is inverse EQ & surround-sound plugin? Are these plugins for Foobar?

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #92 of 463
With your chain it may be a wash. The Modi Multibit+Jot is sublime for the 6XX, especially if you mod the headphones.

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #93 of 463
Anybody compare the SU-8 with a chord Mojo? I currently have an SMSL M8 (9018 ESS Chip) and am about to sell it as I bought a mojo. I tested both units and there weren't tremendous differences- the mojo seemed more musical, while the M8 seemed more neutral. I'm getting good detail with both. Running the Dacs through a KGSSHV to SR-009 and SR-007 mkII headphones. Just wondering will I get more resolution with the new SU-8 with the newer dual chip. I hate for my dac to hold me back (I'm not certain it does, but that's why I'm asking.)

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #94 of 463
How would/should I mod my 6XX?
EDIT: BTW, really digging the Mimby! Think it has better bass than the SU-8. Looks like I will do PCM/FLAC etc. via Mimby and DSD etc. via SU-8

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #95 of 463
How would/should I mod my 6XX?
EDIT: BTW, really digging the Mimby! Think it has better bass than the SU-8. Looks like I will do PCM/FLAC etc. via Mimby and DSD etc. via SU-8
I notice that you also have an jotunheim also, how is the SU-8 doing paired with the jotunheim? I also have an jotunheim my self and the SU-8 looks interesting.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #96 of 463
I notice that you also have an jotunheim also, how is the SU-8 doing paired with the jotunheim? I also have an jotunheim my self and the SU-8 looks interesting.

It's a great pairing! I love my SU-8. Right now I'm running both balanced into the Jot and unbalanced into a Yaqin CD3 tube buffer then into the Jot. Really digging this set-up! The Jotunheim is incredibly useful and versatile.

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #97 of 463
I should get my SU-8 next week. Hoping quality holds up. Features for the money (and SQ if it performs anything like my DX7S) this one is real hard to beat.

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #98 of 463
I should get my SU-8 next week. Hoping quality holds up. Features for the money (and SQ if it performs anything like my DX7S) this one is real hard to beat.

Agreed. I've also been listening to a Modi Multibit recently. Although it sounds really good with 16-bit audio, I think the SU-8 sounds noticeably better with Hi-Res.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #99 of 463
Got my SU-8 in from MD. The remote didn't want to work for a while but now all is well. Hopefully the unit holds up because it sounds wonderful.

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #101 of 463
My headphone amp's topology is inferior on its SE input/outputs so I'm sure my comparison of both would be skewed. For my speaker setup I'm using a pro amp so.. I've got nothing. In the ASR review there was some clipping BAL at Max volume. I use it for my speaker setup so I'm never maxing it. I will say for the price, the sound quality and remote this is the best DAC for the money out right now IMO.

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #102 of 463
Got my SU-8 in from MD. The remote didn't want to work for a while but now all is well. Hopefully the unit holds up because it sounds wonderful.

I got mine today from Amazon and I too am having a problem with the remote not working. Is there anything you did to correct the issue or did it just decide on its own to behave?

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #103 of 463
I got mine today from Amazon and I too am having a problem with the remote not working. Is there anything you did to correct the issue or did it just decide on its own to behave?
Try pressing the 'C' button. If you press any of the other alphabet buttons it will associate itself to another device (which you don't have). Press C and don't press either A or B. Hope that helps

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #104 of 463

did you try pressing the C bitton first? it says in the manual to press a certain buton before using the remote. Check it to make sure, thats most likely your problem if you just went straight to trying to use the remote out of the box.

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #105 of 463
did you try pressing the C bitton first? it says in the manual to press a certain buton before using the remote. Check it to make sure, thats most likely your problem if you just went straight to trying to use the remote out of the box.
Silly Me! Thank you for clearing that up for me. I did not read the instructions because the type was so small I did not take the time to get my reading glasses. That's a relief.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back