smsl su-8 dac?
Jul 18, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #61 of 463
I did not ask well, I mean brand / model :)
Sadly, I have either unbranded or cheap Amazon/ monoprice stuff. I really should invest in some nicer cables, but don't want to spend a crazy amount.

Jul 18, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #63 of 463
Does it sound good with the cheap cables ? If yes, I wouldn't worry about spending lots of cash on cables,

But you'd only be able to tell the difference on an exceptional DAC so that's basically saying you'd buy it if it's a bad DAC.
And I don't care what anyone says, I can get 64 ohm/km XLR cables for roughly the same price as any other XLR cable shipped and no human can hear a better cable.

Jul 18, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #64 of 463
It definitely sounds good to me. I'm sure more expensive cables could sound better on more expensive DACs, but maybe not on the SU-8. And also the law of diminishing returns applies. Would a cable costing 10x as much deliver 10x fidelity. Obviously not. Like anything in life, I look for the nexus of quality/value.

Jul 20, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #65 of 463
Got mine today from Massdrop. For the second time in a row from Massdrop it sails through customs without me having to pay anything, so it just became more than $70 cheaper than expected :ksc75smile:

I think it is really good compared to my 10 year old Musical fidelity, I am very happy with it.

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #67 of 463
As you can see this configuration, on the screen of the su8, dsd512 appears before changing the windows confirmation, 44 khz appeared.

http://es.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=70bac5&s=9#.W1I9ZtIzb-g
http://i67.tinypic.com/2ev6goy.jpg

25fpzs5.jpg

5062kw.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #68 of 463
I thought I'd make a quick post since I just got a new set of phones today. I picked up the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 250 ohm vesrion. I hooked it to my JDS Labs El Amp and SU-8 and left it on at a slightly higher than tolerable volume for me to just play on my desk and break in over the day. Its been about 8 hours of constant play so its probably well over its initial break in. Compared to the Sennheiser HD 558 and 598 Cs that I had already, what I notice immediately is the 770 pros have much lower frequency response while still managing to be as crisp or maybe a bit more than the Sennheisers. I've also got the 770 80ohms but they are in another location and has been over a year since i listened to them so I can't really compare those. So far I have been really pleased with the 770 250ohm. I do like a setup to be as full range as possible and these phones have not disappointed me yet. Only thing I don't like about them is the curly cord. I Would much rather have had a straight one. They seem to pair really well with my SU-8 and El Amp. Also I am using fairly cheap interconnects as well so for
frogmeat69's question I would say yes, the SU-8 sounds perfectly fine with cheap interconnects. I'm using a $20 set of L-Canare rca's I got from world's best cables on Amazon.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #69 of 463
I returned my SMSL SU-8 to Massdrop. It had seemed like my issues with noise over USB were somewhat resolved, but, strangely, it came back. Everyone I have spoken to said all the same things like I hadn't thought of them myself, but the issue had nothing to do with either of my setups. Neither of my Schiit DACs have has any issues with noise over USB. Since other people seem to be having a good experience with this product, I am just going to assume at this point that I drew the short straw. I may purchase another one if it becomes available on Amazon Prime in the future. It's a gorgeous device and that footprint and form factor are to die for.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #70 of 463
I returned my SMSL SU-8 to Massdrop. It had seemed like my issues with noise over USB were somewhat resolved, but, strangely, it came back. Everyone I have spoken to said all the same things like I hadn't thought of them myself, but the issue had nothing to do with either of my setups. Neither of my Schiit DACs have has any issues with noise over USB. Since other people seem to be having a good experience with this product, I am just going to assume at this point that I drew the short straw. I may purchase another one if it becomes available on Amazon Prime in the future. It's a gorgeous device and that footprint and form factor are to die for.
So sorry to hear this. I think your assessment of you getting a lemon seems logical. I have had no issues so far, but will, of course, keep this thread updated with my experiences with this DAC. Guessing Massdrop wouldn't do a replacement?

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #72 of 463
hmm, I think my dac just died. For the last couple of days, I had error messages when shifting from a cd-quality file to a high res file. Roon reported "failed to load file".
I could fix it by switching off the smsl on the remote and starting it again.

Today I started it - it looked ok in the display, but Roon could not see it. I checked in PC sound settings, and it could not be seen there as well. I tried to restart, but now it will not even power on again...

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #73 of 463
hmm, I think my dac just died. For the last couple of days, I had error messages when shifting from a cd-quality file to a high res file. Roon reported "failed to load file".
I could fix it by switching off the smsl on the remote and starting it again.

Today I started it - it looked ok in the display, but Roon could not see it. I checked in PC sound settings, and it could not be seen there as well. I tried to restart, but now it will not even power on again...
How long have you had it?

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #74 of 463
Less than two months. I can return it to Massdrop, - need to check the cost for that.

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #75 of 463
thats the second one of these i have heard of doing this out of the blue. a friend has one and his did the same thing after taking his apart it was the power supply section that went out. im working of getting parts to see if we can repair it (he bought it second hand but the original owner only had it for a week)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back