SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Jul 20, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #753 of 1,170
guys, please excuse my ignorance, but when I connect my DAC to the SP200 through dual XLR, will I be able to use the quarter inch output still or must I listen through balance XLR? Is there a significant sonic advantage in using dual XLR vs dual RCA? Thanks a lot!

With the SP200 dual XLR vs dual RCA doesn't particularly matter nor does 1/4" vs XLR for output. It is all the same output power. When I tried dual XLR A/Bing with dual RCA using XLR/RCA switch at the front I noticed the dual XLR were ever so slightly (almost imperceptible) more dynamic presumably due to my dual XLR cables being of much higher quality than my dual RCA cables.

Jul 20, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #754 of 1,170
With the SP200 dual XLR vs dual RCA doesn't particularly matter nor does 1/4" vs XLR for output. It is all the same output power. When I tried dual XLR A/Bing with dual RCA using XLR/RCA switch at the front I noticed the dual XLR were ever so slightly (almost imperceptible) more dynamic presumably due to my dual XLR cables being of much higher quality than my dual RCA cables.
How do you like the M200?

Jul 20, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #755 of 1,170
How do you like the M200?

I'll be honest I've not really used it much since I usually go straight from Bluesound Node 2i to the SP200 in that set up. I bought the M200 purely for bluetooth as my Sony soundbar can send my TV sound as LDAC bluetooth to any device. But when I tested it's DAC capabilities it was nice. Generally not too much audible difference to my Node 2i streamer or the Sabaj D5 in my upstairs set up. In that sense it is great value for money. Sounds clean and transparent, though my unit makes a slight audible popping sound when switching sample rates. Doesn't bother me though since I only use bluetooth and bluetooth isn't bit perfect so doesn't switch sample rates between songs.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #757 of 1,170
I don't have the SP200....I have the Topping DX7 Pro

Ah, ok, that's a different matter. Balanced all the way if you need the additional power (and also marginally better measurements).

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #758 of 1,170
Well, I tell you what, with large 22-gauge cables, I've noticed an increase in dynamics myself, you can hear much more details. I have 22-gauge cables being used in the entire chain. From the Monoprice RCA cables that connect between the DAC to the EQ box, and from the EQ box to the amp. And the Canare Star Quad AUX cable that connects between the amp and to my headphones. When you use thinner gauge cables, you lose dynamics, and also the ability to really drive your can's to their full potential. So weather or not you use specifically XLR cables or RCA cables makes no difference. The SP200 is not really a balanced amp, it gives you the illusion that it is because of the connections, but its not truly balanced.

What matters is, using thick 22-gauge gauge cables to deliver the sound. At the end of the day, the SP200 on HIGH gain does a maximum of 6-watts per channel, that does not magically change because you use XLR cables. Sure, you can run high quality cables in the input chain and more then likely those cables will help you deliver a higher line level. Because thin cables would restrict power flow. So as long as you have the proper line level going into the SP200, using good thick cables, that amp should provide all the power that you need. I myself have 0-issues with my SP200.

And heck, even Z-reviews said that there are very few can's, that actually need more power, then what the SP200 can provide. So make sure the input chain of your setup is proper, and then the output from the amp should be as well.

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #759 of 1,170
Well, I tell you what, with large 22-gauge cables, I've noticed an increase in dynamics myself, you can hear much more details. I have 22-gauge cables being used in the entire chain. From the Monoprice RCA cables that connect between the DAC to the EQ box, and from the EQ box to the amp. And the Canare Star Quad AUX cable that connects between the amp and to my headphones. When you use thinner gauge cables, you lose dynamics, and also the ability to really drive your can's to their full potential. So weather or not you use specifically XLR cables or RCA cables makes no difference. The SP200 is not really a balanced amp, it gives you the illusion that it is because of the connections, but its not truly balanced.

What matters is, using thick 22-gauge gauge cables to deliver the sound. At the end of the day, the SP200 on HIGH gain does a maximum of 6-watts per channel, that does not magically change because you use XLR cables. Sure, you can run high quality cables in the input chain and more then likely those cables will help you deliver a higher line level. Because thin cables would restrict power flow. So as long as you have the proper line level going into the SP200, using good thick cables, that amp should provide all the power that you need. I myself have 0-issues with my SP200.

And heck, even Z-reviews said that there are very few can's, that actually need more power, then what the SP200 can provide. So make sure the input chain of your setup is proper, and then the output from the amp should be as well.

So what cable should i get? links would be helpful

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #760 of 1,170
So what cable should i get? links would be helpful

Well, if I could post a link to Amazon I would, but every Amazon link I post on this website, gets automatically redirected to some other site. I will just post the title of the product, you can look it up on Amazon super easily.

In regards to optical cables, it doesn't really matter so much which one you buy, as it matters more about the length that you require. Optical cables AKA fiber optic cables, simply transfer light through the cable, and do not suffer from wire based dynamics. As long as you don't put the cable through a lot of bends, they will not fail on you, and will work just fine. This is how I am transferring sound from my TV to the DAC.

To transfer sound from my DAC to the EQ box, and then from the EQ box to the amp, I am using the Monoprice 105347 10-Feet 22AWG Premium 2 RCA Plug to 2 RCA Plug Audio Cable - Black. You can purchase this cable in different lengths to suit your needs. This is what the cable looks like...
11243636.jpg

These cables are gold plated as you can see, and they make a good solid connection, and the thick 22-gauge cable doesn't restrict powerflow.

In regards to the AUX cable I am using for my can's, its a custom 1/4" to 1/8" 10' Conare Star Quad 22-gauge cable. Please note however, if your can's use a recessed audio jack port, chances are this cable won't work without modification. I bought this at GhentAudio website.
IMG_1958.JPG

My V-Moda Crossfade LP2 headphones use a recessed audio port, so I had to use a bench grinder, to grind down the connector, so it would fit. lol
IMG_1964.JPG

If you choose to keep all the links in the chain to be XLR, just make sure your buying a quality XLR cables that are 22-gauge. Stay away from all that thin 28-gauge crap. I was running on a super thin Ivanky AUX cable that was probably 28-gauge for over a couple months, until I could get a better quality cable for my cans.

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #761 of 1,170
Well, if I could post a link to Amazon I would, but every Amazon link I post on this website, gets automatically redirected to some other site. I will just post the title of the product, you can look it up on Amazon super easily.

In regards to optical cables, it doesn't really matter so much which one you buy, as it matters more about the length that you require. Optical cables AKA fiber optic cables, simply transfer light through the cable, and do not suffer from wire based dynamics. As long as you don't put the cable through a lot of bends, they will not fail on you, and will work just fine. This is how I am transferring sound from my TV to the DAC.

To transfer sound from my DAC to the EQ box, and then from the EQ box to the amp, I am using the Monoprice 105347 10-Feet 22AWG Premium 2 RCA Plug to 2 RCA Plug Audio Cable - Black. You can purchase this cable in different lengths to suit your needs. This is what the cable looks like...
11243636.jpg

These cables are gold plated as you can see, and they make a good solid connection, and the thick 22-gauge cable doesn't restrict powerflow.

In regards to the AUX cable I am using for my can's, its a custom 1/4" to 1/8" 10' Conare Star Quad 22-gauge cable. Please note however, if your can's use a recessed audio jack port, chances are this cable won't work without modification. I bought this at GhentAudio website.
IMG_1958.JPG
My V-Moda Crossfade LP2 headphones use a recessed audio port, so I had to use a bench grinder, to grind down the connector, so it would fit. lol
IMG_1964.JPG

If you choose to keep all the links in the chain to be XLR, just make sure your buying a quality XLR cables that are 22-gauge. Stay away from all that thin 28-gauge crap. I was running on a super thin Ivanky AUX cable that was probably 28-gauge for over a couple months, until I could get a better quality cable for my cans.

Isn't GhentAudio is from China? Like it would take forever for the cable to get to me. I don't wanna wait that long lol

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #762 of 1,170
Isn't GhentAudio is from China? Like it would take forever for the cable to get to me. I don't wanna wait that long lol

Yes, the cable will take a minimum of 2 to 3-weeks to get to you. But it is a high quality cable, made in Japan, as you can see as proof in my picture, written on the cable, that you won't be able to find on Amazon, at least I never did. I did find Mogami cables on Amazon, but they want like 60 bucks a cable, and no way was I going to pay that much!

I understand how you feel, I don't like to wait for stuff either, especially that long. But I suffered with that Ivanky cable until I got a good solid cable to listen from. And comparing the sound from the two cables, it was like a night and day difference. Not only did my can's receive more power from the thicker cable, but I was hearing new details that I did not hear before.

Now, unlike thin and easily flexible cables that you don't notice against your shoulder, you will notice a 22-gauge thicker less flexible cable on you. But if you asked me, I quickly learned to live with it, the sound quality is just amazing. That cable combined with my SP200 AMP, is nothing short of amazing. All I need to do now, is replace my DAC with the M200. :wink:

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #763 of 1,170
I ordered Luna cables (Chinese) from Ali express in April but have not arrived yet. Same as other stuff from Ali express, it takes forever for them to arrive. It is weird as when I order from Shenzhen Audio stuff get to me within two weeks.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #764 of 1,170
I like the sp200 so much that I have just ordered the sp200 dac. It will look cool stacked together.

Ps I use all SE with my hi end cans and I use balanced with the abyss 1266 tcs only because it came with balanced. There is no difference between balanced and SE, only over very long distances for noise purposes. A myth propogates in audio circles that xlrs are better.
Only holds true for the sp200 as the "XLR output" is just a convenience ( wired up as single ended). Other amplifiers usually have "double" the amp stage and therefore 4 times the power through the balanced plug. So, if you're happy with the sp200 then great, no need to change anything. However, if you have other amps that have a balanced jack that you are not using out of convenience, you might want to check out an affordable cable to try the balanced on those amps.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #765 of 1,170
Only holds true for the sp200 as the "XLR output" is just a convenience ( wired up as single ended). Other amplifiers usually have "double" the amp stage and therefore 4 times the power through the balanced plug. So, if you're happy with the sp200 then great, no need to change anything. However, if you have other amps that have a balanced jack that you are not using out of convenience, you might want to check out an affordable cable to try the balanced on those amps.
Yup I have 2 x bryston bha1 and I'm very happy using the SE output thank you.
There is no sound quality difference between SE and balanced so I prefer SE.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back