SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Jun 11, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #676 of 1,174
Doesn't really work for me. I pulled it out of my rotation yesterday in my latest "redesign". It will be going up for sale. As the saying goes, we all hear differently. It's funny that I usually fall in and out of love with amps. I never loved this one, but I always respected it due to the measurements. I guess I am just not the analytical type.

Whats up Shane?

I agree with what you said, we all hear differently. And because of that, we all have different tastes. I think I am the analytical type, I like to hear all the different nuances. Its amazing how much detail you can get out of the SP200, but like you said, its not for everyone.

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #677 of 1,174
Which headphones between focal clear, grado rs2 and grado sr 325e best matches the sp200?

The Focal Clear is quite a jump up from the other two, quality and price wise. I am not sure that an SP200 will make a Clear sound it's best, but you could enjoy 'phones as you move up the food chain. Personally, I LOVE my Elex's. Have you heard any Grado's yet? I only ask because they really are a love it or hate it headphone. I love them, but many don't.

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #678 of 1,174
The thing about the SP200, is that after it reduces noise floor, it does straight up amplification. Unlike tube amps which color the sound and provide a warm tone, which is why people like them for bright sounding headphones, the SP200 amplifies those high frequencies with no coloring. If you have a warm sounding headphone, like most closed backs, the SP200 will usually be a perfect match, unless you have a 600-OHM headphone, then your gonna need a bigger amp lol.

Yep, this, basically. I really like my Focal Stellia with the SP200 but needed an amp with tubes for my Focal Utopia which needed a slight bit more warmth.

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #679 of 1,174
A couple of questions for owners in the choice of mains cable you are using and likewise your selection of XLR interconnect DAC to amp?

What got me started on the mains cable was that here in UK the supplied two pin EU mains cable needs a three pin EU TO UK adapter. No problem got one. Now the amazing difference was when I switched that out for a DIY built shielded and fused (brown, neutral, earth) mains cable ity Watergate 320i ordinary UK mains plug. Would be better right? Ohhhh no! That simple supplied original with its adapter sounds way better, clears wooly veiled burning in sound. So I thought I'd see what you guys are using and what your experiences have been?

Like wise I stick with Mogami XLR Pro audio and may upgrade to the Bob Katz recommended Mogami AES shortly. How about you?

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #680 of 1,174
A couple of questions for owners in the choice of mains cable you are using and likewise your selection of XLR interconnect DAC to amp?

What got me started on the mains cable was that here in UK the supplied two pin EU mains cable needs a three pin EU TO UK adapter. No problem got one. Now the amazing difference was when I switched that out for a DIY built shielded and fused (brown, neutral, earth) mains cable ity Watergate 320i ordinary UK mains plug. Would be better right? Ohhhh no! That simple supplied original with its adapter sounds way better, clears wooly veiled burning in sound. So I thought I'd see what you guys are using and what your experiences have been?

Like wise I stick with Mogami XLR Pro audio and may upgrade to the Bob Katz recommended Mogami AES shortly. How about you?

Hey, its the dude, you know the dude, he's that guy that everybody knows. All hail Jeff Bridges, Tron could have no better. :D

I think its important to not get too wrapped up into super expensive mains cables. As long as the mains cable is the right gauge to handle the power requirements, and as long as the mains cable is properly shielded against EMI, it should be fine. I'm not sure about where you live, but in the USA, amps require a grounding, which is why there is a 3rd pin for us. And regarding which power cable I am using, I am just using the one that came with the amp, its working out perfectly, I am not hearing any interference whatsoever from the power coming in.

Now, in regards to what cables I have bringing the sound to the amp, that would be Monoprice RCA cables, thick jacket, EMI shielding, 22-gauge conductors, and gold plated connectors. Currently, I am temporarily using a cheap Ivanky AUX cable to connect my V-Moda headphones to the S.M.S.L SP200 amp. However, I ordered a RapcoHorizon TRS AUX 1/8 to 1/4 10 foot cable, they are professional audio cables, same as Mogami. Only difference is, RapcoHorizon has been reviewed to do a better job at terminating their AUX cables then Mogami, plus they cost a lot less.

I don't have a bunch of professional gear in my home, so the only thing I officially have that uses XLR, is my condensor microphone. Professionals love using XLR for several reasons that I know of. XLR connectors lock in, so not easily to be pulled out. XLR is often used for balanced connections for cleaner sound. And of course generally XLR allows you to get louder. But honestly, the SP200 gets loud enough for most cans, just throw that sucker on high gain, push that volume knob to 50%, and you will be like, OMG I am going to die. LOL!

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #682 of 1,174
sp200 should connect it in rca or xlr

It does. But in regards to transparency, I feel it important to note, that the XRL connections are not balanced. They are there for purely convenience of hookup reasons. :wink:

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #684 of 1,174
So it is better to connect in pure unbalanced rca.
Are the drop and monolith thx balanced or not?

Well, I do know that the Massdrop 789, while a tad bit older THX tech, is fully balanced.

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #687 of 1,174
I think so because in balanced it is much more powerful
Not fully balance as in no conversion to single ended signal internally. Yes the amp stage is balanced but is receiving single ended signal so the XLR are for convenience only

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #688 of 1,174
Hello everyone,

I have ordered a SMSL m200 from audiophonics.fr I live in the UK and have not received a reply yet as to whether it will ship with EU or UK plug. Can someone please tell me what sort of power supply the unit uses, does it have a power adaptor or a lead straight from the mains plug to the m200? I have searched for pictures and unboxing but could not find one. I can order a replacement if I know.

Many thanks

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #689 of 1,174
Hello everyone,

I have ordered a SMSL m200 from audiophonics.fr I live in the UK and have not received a reply yet as to whether it will ship with EU or UK plug. Can someone please tell me what sort of power supply the unit uses, does it have a power adaptor or a lead straight from the mains plug to the m200? I have searched for pictures and unboxing but could not find one. I can order a replacement if I know.

Many thanks

I just received mine from Shenzhen Audio seller on Amazon UK. Took 8 days to arrive despite it saying it would take until mid to late July when ordered. They'd sell a lot more if they were more accurate lol. My last order from them before that took only 10 days from China.

Anyway mine came with a power supply unit. It's a figure 8 power lead that plugs into it.

Got my m200 in my downstairs/secondary system with Bluesound Node 2i streamer as source using coax out while paired with sp200 amp to my Focal Stellia and it is wonderful. Very impressed.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #690 of 1,174
I just received mine from Shenzhen Audio seller on Amazon UK. Took 8 days to arrive despite it saying it would take until mid to late July when ordered. They'd sell a lot more if they were more accurate lol. My last order from them before that took only 10 days from China.

Anyway mine came with a power supply unit. It's a figure 8 power lead that plugs into it.

Got my m200 in my downstairs/secondary system with Bluesound Node 2i streamer as source using coax out while paired with sp200 amp to my Focal Stellia and it is wonderful. Very impressed.

Urgh, I debated using shenzen or hifigo, I have ordered audio cables from China which were excellent and arrived quickly...the lead time of July
/August put me off but I wish I had tempered my impatience now. Audiophonics will probably take longer.

Yea I have bought a sp200 off ebay but need a UK plug for that too. I cant wait.

Thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back