SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Nov 27, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #167 of 1,170
Since XLR input has no added value in the SP200, and users here recommend using RCA in and XLR out, can i pair the SP200 amp with the JDS OL DAC ($99) which only has RCS output? Would i be risking any degradation in quality? Do i have to pair it with a balanced DAC?

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #168 of 1,170
You don't have to pair it with a balanced DAC. I suppose you aren't risking any loss of audio quality since the SP200 does handle XLR internally to RCA single-ended, it's not built symmetrically. The better way would be a balanced DAC with a fully symmetrically built amp.

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #169 of 1,170
I do not understand what sense to put SE and XLR input when the difference does not exist in the SP200, the better would have avoided placing the two inputs, was it not more practical to put only one input?
Very useful for those who have several headphones, with different cables, do not need to use adapter like this photo, sorry.

1-4-1-8-do-Sexo-Masculino-a-4-Pin-XLR-F-mea-Equilibrada-TRS-Adaptador.jpg

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #170 of 1,170
You don't have to pair it with a balanced DAC. I suppose you aren't risking any loss of audio quality since the SP200 does handle XLR internally to RCA single-ended, it's not built symmetrically. The better way would be a balanced DAC with a fully symmetrically built amp.
I ordered XLR Neutrik + Mogami cable 2549 plugs for interconect SP200 >> SU-8.
Now I can't go back. :triportsad:

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #171 of 1,170
He was referring to the XLR inputs of the SP200 which are strictly connected to the DAC. This has nothing to do with kind of headphone termination users have, thus the "convenience" argument is invalid here. It is only valid for the XLR output.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #172 of 1,170
Which of the following dacs to pair with this amp? I have to decide very soon but i can't.

- JDS OL DAC $155
- Schiit Modi 3 $118
- SMSL Su-8 $165 (only one with balanced output but you guys say it doesn't matter for the SP200 amp)

All include optical in and shipping fees.

Nov 28, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #173 of 1,170
The XLR Outputs measured performance is better than that of the SE out, I doubt it's audible given the already impressive distortion specs but from an objective standpoint RCA in and XLR out is the best. Again it's unlikely you'll hear a big difference if any and the added convince is likely a large factor to why there's dual 3pin IN and 4pin out.

Anyways,
Which of the following dacs to pair with this amp? I have to decide very soon but i can't.

- JDS OL DAC $155
- Schiit Modi 3 $118
- SMSL Su-8 $165 (only one with balanced output but you guys say it doesn't matter for the SP200 amp)

All include optical in and shipping fees.

I've heard Modi 3 with SP 200 it's not bad, what headphone are you pairing it with? Something bright like a Grado or Beyerdynamic or even an Audio Technica would work nice with Modi 3. But a darker headphone like HD 6XX will likely be kinda dull with Modi 3 as the DAC and SP200 as the amp, because Modi 3 is imo a little soft sounding as is HD 6XX

A "soft" dac with a "hard" headphone [in terms of presentation] is a nice mix, especially when your amp is as transparent as SP 200

@relevate it's good to hear HPA4 and SP 200 share a similar presentation with better staging and likely technicalities on HPA 4, I've heard the full Benchmark system and it was exceptional. Tho I've yet to compare SP 200 and HPA4 directly with the same source/ files and headphone

That said I'm happy to hear you were able to and thank you for your impressions!

Nov 28, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #174 of 1,170
I've heard Modi 3 with SP 200 it's not bad, what headphone are you pairing it with?

I will be using the AKG k702 and HE-4XX with the SP200 amp and only for competitive fps gaming out of my onboard audio chip on laptop. Separation, detail retrieval, and soundstage are hence very important. Do you therefore recommend:
- modi 3 dac
- JDS OL Dac
- SMSL Su-8 Dac (has "balanced output")

Nov 28, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #175 of 1,170
I will be using the AKG k702 and HE-4XX with the SP200 amp and only for competitive fps gaming out of my onboard audio chip on laptop. Separation, detail retrieval, and soundstage are hence very important. Do you therefore recommend:
- modi 3 dac
- JDS OL Dac
- SMSL Su-8 Dac (has "balanced output")

Well Modi 3 and OL Dac likely won't be the best. OL Dac has some top end roll off which is great for music but not the best for positional gaming, Modi 3 is again excellent for music but maybe not the best at emphasis that specific of Macrodetail

SMSL Su-8 has an ESS Dac chipset, and I've always found those dac chipsets to do well at emphasis micro detail like positional cue's in game [footsteps ect....] so based off my own experience I'd like go for the SMSL. K702 will also likely do well for gaming, nice open sound stage and a little top end emphasis. Tho the bass can be a bit boomy, but I doubt it'll be obvious with SP 200

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #177 of 1,170
Well Modi 3 and OL Dac likely won't be the best. OL Dac has some top end roll off which is great for music but not the best for positional gaming, Modi 3 is again excellent for music but maybe not the best at emphasis that specific of Macrodetail

SMSL Su-8 has an ESS Dac chipset, and I've always found those dac chipsets to do well at emphasis micro detail like positional cue's in game [footsteps ect....] so based off my own experience I'd like go for the SMSL. K702 will also likely do well for gaming, nice open sound stage and a little top end emphasis. Tho the bass can be a bit boomy, but I doubt it'll be obvious with SP 200
What about the EL DAC (and by extension it's new ver)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back