SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Nov 27, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #151 of 1,170
Is this amp considered a truly balanced amp? If I rewire a Fostex T50RP MK3 headphone to become balanced (Argon MK3 mod), will this be the right amp to make full use of the modded headphone? or is XLR output = SE output without any separation of channels? -Thanks

Channel seperation is a spec, SE an XLR both have a measurable level of channel seperation. With XLR out that measured spec is higher, so the output should be Audibly clearer

The question is whether or not the difference is actually audible to all listeners, if the internals of the fostex t50rp MK3 can support a balanced cable and ballanced wiring then go for it as you'll get the best performance with the XLR

will you hear a difference after that I can't say, power-wise though yes sp200 is more than enough

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #152 of 1,170
just wondering if the SP200 offers clearer channel separation and a more refined sound quality in XLR out compared to SE out, or is it the same the circuit but with 2 different output adapters (XLR & SE) for convenience? I am not referring to volume gain.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #153 of 1,170
In your opinion, could something be changed / changed so that the SP200 gets a bigger, better airier stage?

I plan to give myself the dual SP200 + SMSL SU-8 v2 to drive my hifiman Edition Xv2.

I plan to purchase the same combo as you, Riversalt. I assume it is too early to ask if you've tried it yet. My only concern is that I plan to purchase many planar headphones and mod them to become balanced, but this amp might not offer a true balanced output since it shares the same power rating as the SE output, and users did not notice any clear improvement in sound quality when switching between the two, other than volume gain. One user reported a more forward sound using the SE output. I want to love it but,,,

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #154 of 1,170
It's been a week now and I still can't get over just how clean my headphones sound now. I love they way my LCD-2C sound, they have never sounded this good and they were already one of my favorite headphones. There's not a headphone I've used that doesn't sound significantly better now.
I owned the LCD-2C a while ago, but I can imagine this pairing to be very good! The signature of the 2C should be great with the SP200.

just wondering if the SP200 offers clearer channel separation and a more refined sound quality in XLR out compared to SE out, or is it the same the circuit but with 2 different output adapters (XLR & SE) for convenience? I am not referring to volume gain.
It won't. Unless you need the extra power, the XLR output isn't going to add any sound improvements.

Nov 27, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #156 of 1,170
Really enjoying my music right now.

ZX300 DAP to SMSL SU-8 to Schiit Loki via SE to SP200 via SE and XLR to Beyer T5p.2's.
Add a small amount of bass and mid range and you get aural bliss. 9:00 on the amp is loud and I have to go a little lower.
Theory of a Deadman sounds great!

Shane D

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #157 of 1,170
Yes. SE performance is going to be the same as XLR, unless you are pushing the power limits of the SE output, then you will benefit from the XLR output. True for Massdrop 789, Monoprice 887, SMSL 888. None are truly balanced amplifiers. Currawong has a nice video covering the internals of the 789 if it's of any interest.

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #158 of 1,170
Just received mine today ! Ordered on 17 nov , so took about 10 days . Which is very fast compared to MD .
looking forward to the weekend so I can really sit down and enjoy.

13C8E3BB-C0AC-4654-AB40-635C4853D61D.jpeg
F901E1EC-B620-4725-9E6B-B20014CBBE43.jpeg

Nov 27, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #159 of 1,170
I plan to purchase the same combo as you, Riversalt. I assume it is too early to ask if you've tried it yet. My only concern is that I plan to purchase many planar headphones and mod them to become balanced, but this amp might not offer a true balanced output since it shares the same power rating as the SE output, and users did not notice any clear improvement in sound quality when switching between the two, other than volume gain. One user reported a more forward sound using the SE output. I want to love it but,,,
I haven't received my SP200 and SU-8 drive yet.:triportsad:
Looking forward. :L3000:

Nov 27, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #163 of 1,170
No, no. The Benchmark is of course a little bit better than the SMSL. But the differences between them are not as big as one might expect regarding the price difference between them. 300€ for the SMSL vs. 3.500€ for the Benchmark should make a difference anyway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back