SMSL Sanskrit 24bit 192kHz USB DAC
Jan 7, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #107 of 156
I think DjBobby’s descriptions are spot on. If you have an older Sanskrit now, getting a newer one is a pretty small upgrade. Not really worth it. One thing to consider before getting an M8 or M8A is that it uses a different DAC chip (Sabre) rather than the one in Sanskrits (Wolfson). The Wolfson is warm and wooly, whereas the Sabre sound signature is bright and detailed. I’d say get the M8 and if you like the way it sounds, take that $50 you saved by not buying an M8A and buy a linear power supply, which will make it sound even better.

Jan 7, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #108 of 156
If you find you don’t like the M8, return it, but that same 9V linear power supply will make you Sanskrit sound better. Maybe that’s all you need. (I had one, but I sold it yesterday. Sorry!)

Jan 7, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #109 of 156
If you find you don’t like the M8, return it, but that same 9V linear power supply will make you Sanskrit sound better. Maybe that’s all you need. (I had one, but I sold it yesterday. Sorry!)
That last comment wasn't necessary. :)...

Is a linear PSU really that better? I see a lot of comments its a placebo effect?
Off course i have to try for myself to find out.
As i am a happy Aliexpress buyer.... Are those Breeze audio PSU's worth while?

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #110 of 156
That last comment wasn't necessary. :)...

Is a linear PSU really that better? I see a lot of comments its a placebo effect?
Off course i have to try for myself to find out.
As i am a happy Aliexpress buyer.... Are those Breeze audio PSU's worth while?
It's not placebo, it really makes difference when listening with speakers. Better imaging and instrument placement. With the headphones you have more black background.
In addition to SMSL P1, I have 4 Breezes from Aliexpress with different voltages. No problem, very good quality.

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #111 of 156
It's not placebo, it really makes difference when listening with speakers. Better imaging and instrument placement. With the headphones you have more black background.
In addition to SMSL P1, I have 4 Breezes from Aliexpress with different voltages. No problem, very good quality.
What is a good Breeze on Ali for the M8?

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #112 of 156

Thanks for the info. I will order a Breeze PSU and connect my DAC and AMP.

Is the Talema transformer a better upgrade or will the green one does the job well?

PS sorry for going a bit OT couldn't find a dedicated PSU thread.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #113 of 156
What is a good Breeze on Ali for the M8?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/15W...32684621799.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.UyeTGT

Thanks for the info. I will order a Breeze PSU and connect my DAC and AMP.

Is the Talema transformer a better upgrade or will the green one does the job well?

PS sorry for going a bit OT couldn't find a dedicated PSU thread.
Probably yes, but I never tried the Telema. I am using just the simplest (green) version.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #114 of 156
After some digging on Aliexpress i saw a nice DAC from Breeze with the same chip as the M8.

Breeze Audio C30 Desktop music player Bluetooth 4.2 USB dac ES9028Q2M support sd card usb bluetooth Coaxial optical input
http://s.aliexpress.com/IVjMbuu2?fromSns=Kopiëren naar klembord

I am not that experienced.... Can i say it's more or less the same Sound output? It looks like it's build well with the R-core transformer.

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #116 of 156
I just received an ifi iPower 9V power supply to power my Sanskrit 6th. Definite difference and given the measurements I've seen, smoother than a linear power supply. Instrument separation is very definitely better especially on busy tracks, bass is a little cleaner and the soundstage depth is better. Altogether, for £49 a definite upgrade and as I happen to like the Wolfson chips probably the best upgrade for me until I can afford something that's a worthwhile upgrade.

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #119 of 156
This is a significantly older device. For the same money I'd be opting for something like an SMSL SU-8 which can be had for VERY Cheap now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back