SMSL Sanskrit 24bit 192kHz USB DAC
Dec 20, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #77 of 156

In the M8 thread I have posted my impressions about both Sanskrit and M8, hope it can help you: post #899

Very nice. I feel a bit more confident taking the Sanskrit after reading that. I would probably go for the M8 if there was another Massdrop sale as I found out it was about $100 less than they go for now.

In that other thread you mentioned the following for a linear power supply. Can you provide a link to the one you got that worked well for the Sanskrit? Thank You.

Bought some cheap but good one, on Aliexpress. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #78 of 156
I would look at some other options for $50-100 more after venturing down this road.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #80 of 156
  In that other thread you mentioned the following for a linear power supply. Can you provide a link to the one you got that worked well for the Sanskrit? Thank You.

I got this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/15W-Linear-Power-Supply-Regulated-power-supply-Refer-to-STUDER900-support-5V-2A-or-9V-1/32684621799.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.OaF7Es

The cable attached didn't fit the Sanskrit, but luckily I had a bunch of cables around to find the right one. In case you decide to go this road, first try Sanskrit alone, then find the cable which fits the dc plug and eventually at the end go for the LPS. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #81 of 156

I got this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/15W-Linear-Power-Supply-Regulated-power-supply-Refer-to-STUDER900-support-5V-2A-or-9V-1/32684621799.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.OaF7Es

The cable attached didn't fit the Sanskrit, but luckily I had a bunch of cables around to find the right one. In case you decide to go this road, first try Sanskrit alone, then find the cable which fits the dc plug and eventually at the end go for the LPS. 

Thanks, I if the cable is the same as the M8, I believe it needs to be 5.5  x 2.5mm according to this one on ebay. What do you also think about this one? I believe the one you referenced is for 220 VAC and I'm in the USA so would require one with 110-120 VAC. I tried to find that input voltage on AliExpress but it didn't seem they offer that choice much.

I'll follow your suggestion and get this after but would like to line up which one to get. Thanks for your help.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #82 of 156
  Thanks, I if the cable is the same as the M8, I believe it needs to be 5.5  x 2.5mm according to this one on ebay. What do you also think about this one? I believe the one you referenced is for 220 VAC and I'm in the USA so would require one with 110-120 VAC. I tried to find that input voltage on AliExpress but it didn't seem they offer that choice much.

I'll follow your suggestion and get this after but would like to line up which one to get. Thanks for your help.

This one looks excellent, I was eyeballing that one too. Generally they can always provide various input voltages, but on your place I would definitely go for the Ebay one. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #87 of 156

If you would have some higher end DAC, probably yes. For the Sanskrit, I think you would be quite fine with the basic version. Already a simple LPS would deliver cleaner signal than any switching wall wart. 

Alright...great. Been using my little USB-to-3.5mm (C-Media USB Headphone Set [[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Altec Lansing[/color]) to my whole house amp via 3.5mm-to-RCA cables and it seems good. Eager to see how much better one of these external powered DACs are.

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #88 of 156
Would this be good to feed into a Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/bravo-audio-ocean

Dec 25, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #89 of 156
Would this be good to feed into a Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/bravo-audio-ocean

You could feed any amp, including Bravo. Only have to be careful with matching headphones. Sanskrit is on the warm and darker side, Bravo as well, so you would need some transparent headphones like Beyers or AKGs. Otherwise you could end up in too wooly sound. Unless you like it that way. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back