SMSL M8A (ES9028Q2M)
Oct 22, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #286 of 298
Whatever, someone early in the SMSL M8 thread (the original thread, original M8) tried the standard wall-plug PS, a battery, and the SMSL P1 LPS and found that the P1 seemed to be better than the battery.

PS: A starting point re that: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-m8-dac-from-smsl-9018-xmos.743990/page-9#post-11651083
(Not the specific posts but this seems to be where that discussion started. Some experience/reports on different batteries giving different results.)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #288 of 298
I got myself an SMSL M8A (ES9028Q2M) a few days ago to pair with my Audio-GD (C-2 2017) Edition headphone amp. Wow, this is an awesome sounding DAC for its price level. It is not harsh or bright in the treble at all, yet all the detail is present. I have heard a few other units in the past which were using SABRE chips, and I ended up unimpressed and fatigued with the harsh mid treble that would present itself. When used in various gear, SABRE chips can often be sibilant at 7-8kHz. This is not at all the case with the M8A. SMSL got everything right this puppy. This is a DAC which reveals all the detail, but also presents the music with a slight amount of foot tapping musical warmth mixed in. Instruments are nicely layered and separated. It is easy to locate where things are in the recording. Bass guitar is nicely defined and present. Bass response is quick, tight, and very detailed. It is not boomy, excessive, or bloated at all. Pairing this DAC with this headphone amp is offering excellent results. Everything just sounds correct. Vocals are very smooth and slightly up front. There is no harshness at all. Soundstage is excellent, and takes my Amiron Home headphone even further in its abilities to demonstrate everything which is present in the music. Treble is extremely clean and articulate, without a hint of grain or sibilance across the entire range. This DAC is all about offering detail retrieval, but it does so in a more musical manner. This should be what it is all about. Detail, while still offering a greatly musical experience. I am so impressed with this unit.

I ended up getting the TOPPING D30 first, but I ended up returning it. I did not like the sound of it at all. IMO, this DAC is overrated. I have seen people claim that the D30 is flat and neutral, but this is not the case at all. The C-2 amp is completely neutral in its signature, so it is very easy to identify the signature of any DAC which is connected to it. I tried the D30 for 2 days, and right away the issues were noticeable. It is rather compressed sounding. People claim that the D30 has a large soundstage as well. I do not agree with this at all. Everything sounds rather crushed together, There is no natural separation between things in the music. Details in music are certainly there, but nothing is defined and separated. There is some mid bass bloat between 200-300Hz, which bleeds into the mids. This is why people often talk about the vocals sounding somewhat distant with the D30. It is because that elevated mid bass is causing the recession through the mids. There is also some missing treble energy from 10-11kHz. It is literally like there is a hole in the treble, and that frequency is scooped right out. It gives snare drums and symbols a somewhat veiled character. It does not sound natural. It is not a neutral sounding DAC at all. It is certainly not terrible, but it was not for me. It is quite warm sounding, and the bass is rather loose, too elevated, and muddy.

I have high standards for audio, and I always have. I find fault in almost everything. The M8A is very impressive, and I highly recommend it. At this price point, it is hard to beat it. The sound quality it offers truly is great.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #289 of 298
I got myself an SMSL M8A (ES9028Q2M) a few days ago to pair with my Audio-GD (C-2 2017) Edition headphone amp. Wow, this is an awesome sounding DAC for its price level. It is not harsh or bright in the treble at all, yet all the detail is present. I have heard a few other units in the past which were using SABRE chips, and I ended up unimpressed and fatigued with the harsh mid treble that would present itself. When used in various gear, SABRE chips can often be sibilant at 7-8kHz. This is not at all the case with the M8A. SMSL got everything right this puppy. This is a DAC which reveals all the detail, but also presents the music with a slight amount of foot tapping musical warmth mixed in. Instruments are nicely layered and separated. It is easy to locate where things are in the recording. Bass guitar is nicely defined and present. Bass response is quick, tight, and very detailed. It is not boomy, excessive, or bloated at all. Pairing this DAC with this headphone amp is offering excellent results. Everything just sounds correct. Vocals are very smooth and slightly up front. There is no harshness at all. Soundstage is excellent, and takes my Amiron Home headphone even further in its abilities to demonstrate everything which is present in the music. Treble is extremely clean and articulate, without a hint of grain or sibilance across the entire range. This DAC is all about offering detail retrieval, but it does so in a more musical manner. This should be what it is all about. Detail, while still offering a greatly musical experience. I am so impressed with this unit.

I ended up getting the TOPPING D30 first, but I ended up returning it. I did not like the sound of it at all. IMO, this DAC is overrated. I have seen people claim that the D30 is flat and neutral, but this is not the case at all. The C-2 amp is completely neutral in its signature, so it is very easy to identify the signature of any DAC which is connected to it. I tried the D30 for 2 days, and right away the issues were noticeable. It is rather compressed sounding. People claim that the D30 has a large soundstage as well. I do not agree with this at all. Everything sounds rather crushed together, There is no natural separation between things in the music. Details in music are certainly there, but nothing is defined and separated. There is some mid bass bloat between 200-300Hz, which bleeds into the mids. This is why people often talk about the vocals sounding somewhat distant with the D30. It is because that elevated mid bass is causing the recession through the mids. There is also some missing treble energy from 10-11kHz. It is literally like there is a hole in the treble, and that frequency is scooped right out. It gives snare drums and symbols a somewhat veiled character. It does not sound natural. It is not a neutral sounding DAC at all. It is certainly not terrible, but it was not for me. It is quite warm sounding, and the bass is rather loose, too elevated, and muddy.

I have high standards for audio, and I always have. I find fault in almost everything. The M8A is very impressive, and I highly recommend it. At this price point, it is hard to beat it. The sound quality it offers truly is great.
Thanks for the nice and detailed review. Very much matches my own opinion regarding the M8a vs D30.
I have only 2 questions: which filter have you been using by default and why did you go for the older M8a version with the ES9028q2m, when there is a newer one with the es9038q2m?

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #293 of 298
They're all good, including the original M8...they're all better than most in the same price range. ...And there has always been the option of the linear power supply...which adds about 70% [iirc] to the cost, bringing into another price range, i suppose. You can get DACs that cost more than 2x the cost of SMSL M8 and the only real/significant difference is they have a built-in linear power supply.
If i were going to experiment by getting M8A to try to compare with the M8 i have, i wouldn't mind whether it was the 9028 or the 9038, given the review by DW75. :) I think I probably would not be sure about any perceived difference.
Although...maybe the filters are quite different. The only one that sounds right to me [on the original M8] is the default FAST filter.

Mar 24, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #294 of 298
I have been quite impressed with the M8A since I got it about a week and a half ago. There really is no need to go further than this for a DAC. The sound quality this unit provides is truly excellent for the price. It is nice and neutral, and pairs perfectly with my Audio-GD C-2 2017 Edition headphone amp. I think this DAC is best suited to pair with neutral headphone amps, like mine is. Pairing it with amps having a warm sound signature will just mask the details and musicality the M8A is capable of providing.

Apr 14, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #295 of 298
I should give an update on my experience with the M8A. When I got it, it was the previous version with the ES9028Q2M DAC chip. I was offered this one since they did not have the ES9038Q2M version in stock. I ended up contacting the store last week, and they finally had the latest version in stock. Since it was less than 30 days since purchase, they agreed to allow me to return mine for the updated version. Regardless of this, the M8A is an awesome DAC, and I highly recommend it.

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #296 of 298
Alright, am I the only owner of the newer M8A V3 ES9038Q2M version here ? Well, I guess I should put up some info here. I started with the M8A V2 ES9028Q2M, because the store I bought it from did not have the V3 version in stock. After a brief time of ownership with the V2, I contacted the store to ask about the updated version. They stated they had finally started carrying the V3 model. They agreed to let me exchange mine, so I sent the V2 back to get the V3. Since I have experience with both the V2 and V3, I can state the differences. I will say this first though. Both of these DACs are excellent, and I honestly don't think a better sound can be found for this price level.

The V3 has improved imaging and separation between instruments. It also has improvements in sounstage width and depth. There is a greater sense of layering amongst various instruments, and music is incredibly engaging. Vocals on the V3 are a bit more up in front, but are even smoother in their presentation when compared to the V2. Bass on the V3 is also improved. It is extremely quick, tight, and defined with even better impact and extension. Treble is not harsh, bright, or sibilant, the same as on the V2. Everything in the upper registers is nicely detailed, clean, articulate, and revealing. I noticed that cymbals on the V3 are rendered with more presence and detail. Both the V2 and V3 are great DACs with a neutral sound signature, while having a slight touch of musical warmth to the mids. The V3 is not miles better, but the differences are easily apparent. The improvements in soundstage, instrument definition, and imaging are immediately noticeable. For any people looking to buy, the V3 has a burn in period, but it is not long at all. It reaches its final sound after around only 18-20 hours of use. One thing I will mention is that right out of the box, cymbals are slightly too aggressive on the V3, and may sound a tad harsh at times. The unit just needs to break in. After about 7-8 hours, this issue goes away, and the sound of the DAC then continues to improve until the unit is fully burned in at around 20 hours.

The M8A V3 has many more filter options. The filter options available are following below:

Fast Linear
Slow Linear
Fast Minimum
Slow Minimum
Fast Hybrid
Apodizing
Brickwall

This is not all though. The M8A V3 also offers 9 "sound color" options that can also be used to change the sound. The sound color options available are the following below:

Standard
Tube 1
Tube 2
Tube 3
Crystal 1
Crystal 2
Crystal 3
Rich 1
Rich 2
Rich 3

Between the filter options, and the sound coloring options, this unit can be altered to sound exactly how you want it. I highly recommend this DAC. It is a nice upgrade for anyone who owns the original M8 or M8A.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #297 of 298
Alright, am I the only owner of the newer M8A V3 ES9038Q2M version here ? Well, I guess I should put up some info here. I started with the M8A V2 ES9028Q2M, because the store I bought it from did not have the V3 version in stock. After a brief time of ownership with the V2, I contacted the store to ask about the updated version. They stated they had finally started carrying the V3 model. They agreed to let me exchange mine, so I sent the V2 back to get the V3. Since I have experience with both the V2 and V3, I can state the differences. I will say this first though. Both of these DACs are excellent, and I honestly don't think a better sound can be found for this price level.

The V3 has improved imaging and separation between instruments. It also has improvements in sounstage width and depth. There is a greater sense of layering amongst various instruments, and music is incredibly engaging. Vocals on the V3 are a bit more up in front, but are even smoother in their presentation when compared to the V2. Bass on the V3 is also improved. It is extremely quick, tight, and defined with even better impact and extension. Treble is not harsh, bright, or sibilant, the same as on the V2. Everything in the upper registers is nicely detailed, clean, articulate, and revealing. I noticed that cymbals on the V3 are rendered with more presence and detail. Both the V2 and V3 are great DACs with a neutral sound signature, while having a slight touch of musical warmth to the mids. The V3 is not miles better, but the differences are easily apparent. The improvements in soundstage, instrument definition, and imaging are immediately noticeable. For any people looking to buy, the V3 has a burn in period, but it is not long at all. It reaches its final sound after around only 18-20 hours of use. One thing I will mention is that right out of the box, cymbals are slightly too aggressive on the V3, and may sound a tad harsh at times. The unit just needs to break in. After about 7-8 hours, this issue goes away, and the sound of the DAC then continues to improve until the unit is fully burned in at around 20 hours.

The M8A V3 has many more filter options. The filter options available are following below:

Fast Linear
Slow Linear
Fast Minimum
Slow Minimum
Fast Hybrid
Apodizing
Brickwall

This is not all though. The M8A V3 also offers 9 "sound color" options that can also be used to change the sound. The sound color options available are the following below:

Standard
Tube 1
Tube 2
Tube 3
Crystal 1
Crystal 2
Crystal 3
Rich 1
Rich 2
Rich 3

Between the filter options, and the sound coloring options, this unit can be altered to sound exactly how you want it. I highly recommend this DAC. It is a nice upgrade for anyone who owns the original M8 or M8A.

What proper AMP for hedphones should I partner this with?
Is it better than Topping D50? or D50s? thanks

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #298 of 298
I have not heard the Topping D50 or D50s. In terms of a headphone amp, buying a neutral sounding amp would be a good choice, since the M8A V3 is also quite neutral in its signature. The headphone amp I own is the Audio-GD C-2 (2017 Edition), which I highly recommend. It is one of the best headphone amps you can get for its price point. The sound quality is excellent, and this amp has enough power to drive any headphone you want. Just look at the power output on this puppy.

25 ohm: 9900MW
40 ohm: 8000MW
100 ohm: 3500MW
300 ohm: 1200MW
600 ohm: 600MW

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C22019/C22019EN.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back