SMSL M8A (ES9028Q2M)
Sep 26, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #167 of 298
Really? Visual direction? Like ESP?

And yes its the same either way, the only thing you will run into is DSD if you use DSD. Since most everyone doesn't ever use DSD and because its basically pointless, Coax/Toslink shouldn't ever be an issue :)
Well the point is that thing is more precise that ESP.

Useful only on wide open areas in games like Arma or PUBG. Some time its not possible to tell on which direction are you dying from cause distance is huge + echo, but this thing points you right there. This thing is mostly useless, but quite a few times it saved my ass.

Regarding DSD, I don't know for sure if I use it or not, but my MSI motherboard's codec supports it, so I assume it uses it. Does DSD affect TOSLINK output in some bad way?

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #168 of 298
Really? Visual direction? Like ESP?

And yes its the same either way, the only thing you will run into is DSD if you use DSD. Since most everyone doesn't ever use DSD and because its basically pointless, Coax/Toslink shouldn't ever be an issue :)

Pointless? Really? Simple as that? Pretty bold statement there...

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #169 of 298
Well the point is that thing is more precise that ESP.

Useful only on wide open areas in games like Arma or PUBG. Some time its not possible to tell on which direction are you dying from cause distance is huge + echo, but this thing points you right there. This thing is mostly useless, but quite a few times it saved my ass.

Regarding DSD, I don't know for sure if I use it or not, but my MSI motherboard's codec supports it, so I assume it uses it. Does DSD affect TOSLINK output in some bad way?
Toslink is incompatible with DSD.

Also can you tell me the name of the program that does this? I want to check it out.

Pointless? Really? Simple as that? Pretty bold statement there...

Yes it is pointless. All tests show ZERO actual improvement over 24/192 and basically no music is ever recorded in DSD and at best you are getting PCM->DSD conversions which also do nothing.
Barely any music is recorded past 16/44.1 or is available past that format save using Tidal.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #170 of 298

Also can you tell me the name of the program that does this? I want to check it out.

Yes it is pointless. All tests show ZERO actual improvement over 24/192 and basically no music is ever recorded in DSD and at best you are getting PCM->DSD conversions which also do nothing.
Barely any music is recorded past 16/44.1 or is available past that format save using Tidal.

I suggest you start reading this blog: http://archimago.blogspot.ch/
for very in-depth analysis and measurements of various dacs and music formats.
I also suggest you should not make such absolute affirmations like: "basically no music is ever recorded in DSD"

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #171 of 298
So soundcard supports DSD, using Toslink out I will get just pure digital signal w/o that fancy DSD thing?

TO use that software you need either motherboard / laptop from MSI or motherboard / laptop / soundcard from Asus.

For MSI - Nahimic2 driver has Sound Tracker function.
For ASUS - Sonic Studio has Sonic Radar feature.
Both are pretty similar overlay radars on top of the game showing directions of the most loud sound.
You can Youtube something like PUBG Sonic Radar to see how this works.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #172 of 298
So soundcard supports DSD, using Toslink out I will get just pure digital signal w/o that fancy DSD thing?

TO use that software you need either motherboard / laptop from MSI or motherboard / laptop / soundcard from Asus.

For MSI - Nahimic2 driver has Sound Tracker function.
For ASUS - Sonic Studio has Sonic Radar feature.
Both are pretty similar overlay radars on top of the game showing directions of the most loud sound.
You can Youtube something like PUBG Sonic Radar to see how this works.
Yes you will get fine audio out of Toslink and you won't be able to use DSD which is something you would never use anyway.
Because you have to have music that is in DSD and a player configured for DSD, both of which are pretty much non-existent.

Thanks for the tip on the applications, I have MSI motherboards so it shouldn't be an issue.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #173 of 298
I suggest you start reading this blog: http://archimago.blogspot.ch/
for very in-depth analysis and measurements of various dacs and music formats.
I also suggest you should not make such absolute affirmations like: "basically no music is ever recorded in DSD"
There is no purpose in me researching into DSD further.
It has no sonic advantages and has been mostly a marketing gimmick since the day it was created.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #175 of 298
Is there any real sound difference between choose all my files to be converted to DSD 256? And how about the filter mode? I need to change? The options are: 47K, 50K, 60K and 70K.
Most likely, they should be recorded in DSD. Its like converting 128mbps mp3 to lossless.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #176 of 298
Is there any real sound difference between choose all my files to be converted to DSD 256? And how about the filter mode? I need to change? The options are: 47K, 50K, 60K and 70K.

I let foobar2000 play my CD wave files as DSD512 with M8A. Yes, this way does sound obviously better than just playing the CD wave files.

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #179 of 298
LAST post, I promise...lol

Guys, seriously, don't let this troll Jimster480, influence what you do with your hardware. Just please TRY it and determine it for yourselves! You won't be alone (in liking redbook upsampled to DSD)....lots of people do it and prefer it.

Even if you don't prefer it, don't let that dude compel you to not at least try it out for yourself.

-Jim

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #180 of 298
LAST post, I promise...lol

Guys, seriously, don't let this troll Jimster480, influence what you do with your hardware. Just please TRY it and determine it for yourselves! You won't be alone (in liking redbook upsampled to DSD)....lots of people do it and prefer it.

Even if you don't prefer it, don't let that dude compel you to not at least try it out for yourself.

-Jim

I'm not trolling at all.
I spent a great deal of time researching this type of stuff and a great deal of cash buying many DAC's and Amps and stuff to test out and check for differences aswell as if different features did anything.
There is nothing that really suggests that upsampling audio does anything, most of the posts are ancient and those few that suggest it could do anything is completely based around the oversampling performance of the DAC you are using.
Just because you prefer some insanely upsampled music (which 99% chance has lower quality than the original music) doesn't mean this is the way to go.
Repeatedly calling me a troll in the thread is doing just that, trolling.
As I said before, if you have REAL HARD EVIDENCE that it does ANYTHING POSITIVE.
Post it!

But instead you continue to troll this thread day after day with nonsense and repeated accusations that I am a troll, when I am genuinely here to help people based on my own experiences.
Your claims have no scientific or technical merit and you refuse to back them up and instead resort to personal attacks.

Please take this nonsense elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back