SMSL M8A (ES9028Q2M)
Sep 24, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #151 of 298
Agree! My experiences in this hobby tells me that analyzing is just one way to assess/appreciate equipment, listening and comparing is another, and, to me, a better way to assess/appreciate my toys.

Thanks! Yeah, its all about how you listen to things on YOUR end. Anything anyone else says is irrelevant and is trolling.

-Jim

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #152 of 298
Thanks! Yeah, its all about how you listen to things on YOUR end. Anything anyone else says is irrelevant and is trolling.

-Jim
Other peoples opinions and experiences aren't trolling.

Making a statement like that is boarderline trolling.

I read a bunch about upsampling, some people noticed differences but many said it doesn't make a difference. Really depends on how your DAC does its oversampling.

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #153 of 298
Other peoples opinions and experiences aren't trolling.

Making a statement like that is boarderline trolling.

I read a bunch about upsampling, some people noticed differences but many said it doesn't make a difference. Really depends on how your DAC does its oversampling.

Lol, why would it make a difference on how "your DAC does its oversampling" if "...upsampling is just taking the same samples you have and duplicating them and then playing them back at a faster rate."

Your own (very ignorant) words.

-Jim

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #154 of 298
Lol, why would it make a difference on how "your DAC does its oversampling" if "...upsampling is just taking the same samples you have and duplicating them and then playing them back at a faster rate."

Your own (very ignorant) words.

-Jim
Instead of just trolling why don't you come back to the conversation?

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #156 of 298
Ha! Just ignore what you said...It'll go away.

I don't really care. I thought I would lend a hand with a great low cost DAC for folks in place of the SMSL that is really awesome.

-Jim
You are literally just trolling this thread now man.

I've been here since the beginning with the M8A since I was one of the first people to buy one.
Its a great DAC, but to claim that Upsampling from 44.1 to 512DSD is actually giving any "radical improvement" is rediculous.
I read a bunch about up-sampling and like I said it can help in some cases, but just crazy up-sampling everything is not going to make your music so much better than it was before.

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #158 of 298
You said it makes everything sound much better.
Do you have any papers you have read about this which support your argument about it increasing quality?

Everything I have read mostly points to any changing being specifically in the filters used by different DACs and how this can affect the reproduction and some people perceive it sound better and in specific recordings it moving up some noise past where the low pass filter would have eliminated it. But this is mostly due to how specific units filter sound.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #159 of 298
Is there any difference in output sound quality if using Toslink vs USB?

Feeding signal from PC Realtec 1220 codec via Toslink or via just via USB bypassing any inboard codecs?

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #160 of 298

Feeding signal from PC Realtec 1220 codec via Toslink or via just via USB bypassing any inboard codecs?
Some people say that Toslink (Optical) has more jitter because there is no clock sync like with USB or Coaxial. But honestly it all depends on the implementation.

Personally I used various products with Optical for many years and never had an issue. Right now I am feeding via a SMSL xUSB -> Coax Out -> Topping DX7
This is just to overcome a bug in the DX7 Xmos firmware that keeps my computer awake.

But on my M8A I have always used the USB implementation, I wouldn't really worry about it overall.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #161 of 298
The reason why i want to use optical instead of USB that I want to use Creative/Asus gaming codec for virtual surround emulation and only then go to quality DAC > AMP > headphones.

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #163 of 298
Many games have virtual surround emulation themselves.
Yes it is true. Aftermarket surround may even ruin natural binaural recording.

But, MSI's Nahimic2 and Asus has some features like Sound Tracker and Sonic Radar that shows visual direction where sound comes from which I found extremely useful on wide open areas of certain games like PUBG. At lest while its not prohibited.

So my main concern is pretty theoretical: unprocessed audio from internal soundcard on motherboard via Toslink vs USB, not counting jitter.

In theory there shouldn't be any difference, due to Toslink transfers digital signal to external DAC, same thing with USB.
Or I'm missing something here?

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #164 of 298
Really? Visual direction? Like ESP?

And yes its the same either way, the only thing you will run into is DSD if you use DSD. Since most everyone doesn't ever use DSD and because its basically pointless, Coax/Toslink shouldn't ever be an issue :)

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #165 of 298

In general, digital outputs from a PC's Toslink is not good.

Most DACs these days use ASYNCHRONOUS USB to get music from PC and this is a much better way than using Toslink

Users who are viewing this thread

Back