SMSL M300 - Balanced AK4497 DAC
Aug 7, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #20 of 58
Hi, first post

Trying to decide between this and Topping D50. Don't know anything about audio, I currently have the Topping D50 and SMSL M300 side by side and listening to both with a JDS Atom amp and a Sennheiser 6xx. Can't really tell a difference except I thought the Topping sounded fuller while the M300 had better background instruments. But that could have just been placebo? I can only keep one and is leaning towards the SMSL cause it is much newer, balanced, the reviews are great on Amazon of the M100 and Sanskrit, and it has an AKM chip which I heard is better? But Audiosciencereview and Amirm doesn't seem to prefer the SMSL products (M100/Sanskrit/M10) while the Topping D50 had better measurements than the SMSL-SU8? But Amirm hasn't reviewed the M300. Also the Topping D50 is $160 right now on eBay while the M300 was $240.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #21 of 58
Hi, first post

Trying to decide between this and Topping D50. Don't know anything about audio, I currently have the Topping D50 and SMSL M300 side by side and listening to both with a JDS Atom amp and a Sennheiser 6xx. Can't really tell a difference except I thought the Topping sounded fuller while the M300 had better background instruments. But that could have just been placebo? I can only keep one and is leaning towards the SMSL

Keep whichever you like most man. It's that simple!

Aug 8, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #22 of 58
Hi, first post

Trying to decide between this and Topping D50. Don't know anything about audio, I currently have the Topping D50 and SMSL M300 side by side and listening to both with a JDS Atom amp and a Sennheiser 6xx. Can't really tell a difference except I thought the Topping sounded fuller while the M300 had better background instruments. But that could have just been placebo? I can only keep one and is leaning towards the SMSL cause it is much newer, balanced, the reviews are great on Amazon of the M100 and Sanskrit, and it has an AKM chip which I heard is better? But Audiosciencereview and Amirm doesn't seem to prefer the SMSL products (M100/Sanskrit/M10) while the Topping D50 had better measurements than the SMSL-SU8? But Amirm hasn't reviewed the M300. Also the Topping D50 is $160 right now on eBay while the M300 was $240.

I can vouch for the quality of the M300, its both well built and sounds great (which you seem to have already experienced for yourself), plus the balanced output is a big bonus in this price range. The Topping D50 is also a fine DAC, I haven't heard this model but the D10 i bought for a project sounds amazing for the price. Personally i like the simplicity of the M300 and the Balanced makes a difference for me as I have a balanced amp to go with. Assuming you own the mentioned JDS Atom then maybe it comes down to preference and if you plan to update your Amp in the future.

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #27 of 58
Sabaj D5 is $350

Where did you get the Sabaj D5 for $350? I would get one if the price is $350.

It's $469.99 now on Amazon.

Considering the Sabaj D5 that is also using single ES 9038 PRO chip, I guess the SMSL M500 price is comparable at least in the same range.

But we will all soon to know the exact answer. The M500 is set to release to the public on the 20th of August.

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #29 of 58
Maybe $359, but the M300 at the moment is $230, so i doubt it will be priced that "generously".. I doubt $500 is right too, as previously mentioned the Sabaj D5 is $350..

The M500 is priced at 2200RMB (~$310USD) in china but international price should be slightly higher. If it measures well and sounds good too, then it is quite a bargain for an ES9038Pro + MQA equipped DAC/Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back