SMSL M300 - Balanced AK4497 DAC
Apr 5, 2019 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

RestlessZombi

100+ Head-Fier
I searched and couldn't find anyone thats posted about this, I'm sorry if i missed it..

SMSL M300 Balanced DAC has been unveiled and it looks pretty good so i can see from the specs. Think SU-8 minus the Remote and Sound Color Settings but AKM Chips instead of ESS.

Price: $250 - £200

201903231055525136.jpg
201903231055535847.jpg

Specifications

Product type DAC
Inputs: 1x Micro USB XMOS, 1x Optical Toslink, 1x S/PDIF Coaxial
Outputs: 2x Single ended RCA, 2x Balanced XLR
Output level: RCA : 2Vrms, XLR : 4Vrm, THD+N 0.0004%
Dynamic range: RCA : 120dB, XLR : 123dB
SNR: 116dB
USB compatibility: Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10, Mac OSX 10.6 or more, Linux
Sampling rate/ Bit depth: USB : Up to 32bit 768kHz / DSD512, Optique / Coaxial : Up to 24bit 192kHz
Consumption: 1.8W
Standby consumption: < 0.1W
Dimensions (WxHxD): 70 x 70 x 160mm
Weight: 500g

It concerns me that it runs from a Micro USB, but specs seem pretty great..

Any thoughts as I was thinking of getting it instead of the SU-8

Apr 6, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 58
Anyone have compared this to the SMSL SU-8? Really interested to know that. :deadhorse::)

I can't see any reviews for this yet, but I should have it in a few hours so i can give a little review of the unit if anyone has any suggestions on things they might wanna know.

I don't yet have a balanced amp to compare but i can connect it to my powered speakers tomorrow to give some impressions. Cables arrive then so will be RCA for today.

Currently have the SMSL M7 and Sap-II.

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 58
I can't see any reviews for this yet, but I should have it in a few hours so i can give a little review of the unit if anyone has any suggestions on things they might wanna know.

I don't yet have a balanced amp to compare but i can connect it to my powered speakers tomorrow to give some impressions. Cables arrive then so will be RCA for today.

Currently have the SMSL M7 and Sap-II.
Mate, that's great to hear. :ksc75smile:
Waiting for the review, I really wanted to know how is M300 compared to SU-8 but If you don't have the SU-8, M7 is just fine.
I was curious about the SU-8 because it has ESS chip & M300 has AKM chips, don't know which one sounds better.

Apr 6, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 58
Been awaiting a review of this since it's announcement, been contemplating making a thread but had not pulled the trigger on this.

Would love to hear your impressions on this

Apr 6, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 58
I might be wrong but I was under the assumption that this uses a single AK4497 .

Also , I saw the review of the SMSL Sanskrit 10th on Audioscience and apparently the sound was much cleaner with S/PDIF since there wasn't enough power from the USB , once an external power supply was added , it performed great . That unit seems to have an auxiliary power input while the M300 doesn't . This could be a problem .

I've sent a message to SMSL regarding this and this is the reply I got .

"Hello, dear friend.

About the M300: You can connect directly to the computer USB, but the effect is not ideal, because the computer's USB interface power supply is not ideal.
So our R&D department's recommendation is a USB extender (with a power adapter) that provides enough power to the M300 to use USB communication.
If you want to connect your phone: you need a line that separates the USB data from the power supply.

SMSL Customer Service Team"

So could you try using it directly with USB and then via S/PDIF as well if possible ? @RestlessZombi :)

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 58
Quick disclaimer, I'm not a reviewer of Audio gear I've yet to hear real high end gear, thus I can only speak about my own opinions and what I can hear that's different between the two set ups I have made, anyways...

The SMSL M300 in Blue

Main.jpg

Comparing the SMSL M7 with AK4452 against SMSL M300 with AK4497 both on RCA and using 2xSMSL SAP-II as headphone amps

The M7 is a DAC and headhphone amp with Pre out's so I set the volume on the SAP-II amp to the same level and matched the volume heard by adjusting the M7's volume to try and match the output voltage from the DAC's.

Headphones used were the Massdrop HE-4XX and Sennheiser HD650 - Listening to mostly Rock, Jazz and some Orchestral.

Initial impressions were that the M300 has a warmer sound with more mid range and low end. The improved low to mid range gave the feeling of more neutral sound across the range, without the highs being lost. When listening to songs with well a well recorded band there was greater separation of the instruments where each could be heard with more clarity. This meant that the Bass Guitar was more present in the mix and easier to follow, Kick Drums had more sharpness of the initial hits and high felt clearer without harshness. The overal soundstage was more detailed, instruments that had a slight echo of the recording room, are much more pronounced with the M300.

A quick photo of the set up, the 2 DACs each with SAP-II Amp
SetUp.jpg

Studio Monitors - Mackie CR3 via Balanced Cables (3 Inch Drivers - Frequency Response 80Hz-20kHz)

Speakers aren't great for their low end range, but mids and low end has clarity and power then I didn't feel from the M7 DAC. The sounds follows closely to the impressions I had above, Clear sound stage and clarity while impressing me with the low end that I have never heard from these speakers before. There was no hum or hiss in the signal at all (Like when you turn up the volume with nothing playing.)

Notes on the Setup

Sound was tested directly plugged in to my PC via the Micro USB cable. I couldn't sense any issues with power or signal loss when listening. @Mordr3d I don't have a powered hub to test with, but tomorrow I have a cable coming that I thought might resolve any power issues that might be there as it has two usb connecters in to one Micro USB for the DAC. One connector provides signal and power and the other just power, hopefully I wont blow it up.

download.jpg

I tried it with a SPDIF with just power via USB and it worked fine, I can't comment on the quality as I only have a few devices that do SPDIF out and their certainly not Hifi equipment.

Conclusion
Overall I'm very happy with the purchase, I can hear a noticeable improvement over the M7 and judging by the results from using the balanced cable to the speakers, this will only improve once I have a balanced headphone amp to match. I'll still be doing more testing over the next weeks of the things I think of (I haven't tried to use my Tube Amp yet) and if anyone has anything they would like to see or hear then feel free to comment.

I'm aware that the next best competitor to this is the SMSL SU-8, but I can't comment on this DAC in comparison. I chose the M300 over the SU-8 for its size, simplicity and use of AKM chips that I had enjoyed in the M7 while I was using that.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 58
Quick disclaimer, I'm not a reviewer of Audio gear I've yet to hear real high end gear, thus I can only speak about my own opinions and what I can hear that's different between the two set ups I have made, anyways...

The SMSL M300 in Blue

Comparing the SMSL M7 with AK4452 against SMSL M300 with AK4497 both on RCA and using 2xSMSL SAP-II as headphone amps

The M7 is a DAC and headhphone amp with Pre out's so I set the volume on the SAP-II amp to the same level and matched the volume heard by adjusting the M7's volume to try and match the output voltage from the DAC's.

Headphones used were the Massdrop HE-4XX and Sennheiser HD650 - Listening to mostly Rock, Jazz and some Orchestral.

Initial impressions were that the M300 has a warmer sound with more mid range and low end. The improved low to mid range gave the feeling of more neutral sound across the range, without the highs being lost. When listening to songs with well a well recorded band there was greater separation of the instruments where each could be heard with more clarity. This meant that the Bass Guitar was more present in the mix and easier to follow, Kick Drums had more sharpness of the initial hits and high felt clearer without harshness. The overal soundstage was more detailed, instruments that had a slight echo of the recording room, are much more pronounced with the M300.

A quick photo of the set up, the 2 DACs each with SAP-II Amp

Studio Monitors - Mackie CR3 via Balanced Cables (3 Inch Drivers - Frequency Response 80Hz-20kHz)

Speakers aren't great for their low end range, but mids and low end has clarity and power then I didn't feel from the M7 DAC. The sounds follows closely to the impressions I had above, Clear sound stage and clarity while impressing me with the low end that I have never heard from these speakers before. There was no hum or hiss in the signal at all (Like when you turn up the volume with nothing playing.)

Notes on the Setup

Sound was tested directly plugged in to my PC via the Micro USB cable. I couldn't sense any issues with power or signal loss when listening. @Mordr3d I don't have a powered hub to test with, but tomorrow I have a cable coming that I thought might resolve any power issues that might be there as it has two usb connecters in to one Micro USB for the DAC. One connector provides signal and power and the other just power, hopefully I wont blow it up.

I tried it with a SPDIF with just power via USB and it worked fine, I can't comment on the quality as I only have a few devices that do SPDIF out and their certainly not Hifi equipment.

Conclusion
Overall I'm very happy with the purchase, I can hear a noticeable improvement over the M7 and judging by the results from using the balanced cable to the speakers, this will only improve once I have a balanced headphone amp to match. I'll still be doing more testing over the next weeks of the things I think of (I haven't tried to use my Tube Amp yet) and if anyone has anything they would like to see or hear then feel free to comment.

I'm aware that the next best competitor to this is the SMSL SU-8, but I can't comment on this DAC in comparison. I chose the M300 over the SU-8 for its size, simplicity and use of AKM chips that I had enjoyed in the M7 while I was using that.

Hi,

I have a few quesitons if you don't mind:

1) Does this auto power on and off when you turn on your computer and turn it off?
2) How are you finding the whole power through USB situation? I'm a bit sceptical that it can power a balanced dac architecture just through the USB.
3) What are those filter settings it has?
4) Did you have any issues with drivers? what OS are you usings?

Thanks man, I'm trying to decide between this and the SU-8

Apr 15, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #10 of 58
Hi,

I have a few quesitons if you don't mind:

1) Does this auto power on and off when you turn on your computer and turn it off?
2) How are you finding the whole power through USB situation? I'm a bit sceptical that it can power a balanced dac architecture just through the USB.

Thanks man, I'm trying to decide between this and the SU-8

I'll answer what I can at the moment, I haven't played with the filters much so i'll need to do more testing on that.

Just as a quick update, I bought a Balanced Amp from Ebay which arrived a few days back, SMSL Sap 9. Yes SMSL again.. Honestly, as much as I love the SMSL brand i'm mostly buying for value for money at the moment, No-one else does balanced kit at this price point. Tonight's adventure was to solder a balanced cable for my HE-4XXs which is working great at the moment, just testing before I seal it up.

I think this will depend a lot on your PC and the power supply inside. Mine will power the M300 when the PC is off so it doesn't switch on and off with the PC. I'm glad it does as it means i can use the SPDIF/Digital connections without needing to source an external power supply.

See above, plus I honestly haven't thought about it. It worked fine from the usb cable supplied and i haven't felt that there is any issues with the line out power levels. I have as mentioned above purchased and am using the dual head usb cable that will provide the power from two usb ports to make sure that it doesn't have any power issues. This is overkill and i mostly did it to see if it would work out any better and i can't say i notice any difference. I have no testing kit though to give you an answer to if there is power issues, i believe that the issues with the Su-8 first edition was only found with frequency testing equipment and reports from those that do have the first design said that theirs was sounding great either way.

I went through them, once and I didn't notice much change in the song i was listening to so didn't change them after that. I will need to do more testing to see if i can.

I'm on Windows 10 and am using the XMOS drivers from the SMSL website. I don't believe they are required to use the device, but they add a nice control panel to change settings quicker then you can by finding the same settings in Windows plus i think they may unlock the upper bit rates that the device supports.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #14 of 58
I also interested in M300.Guess have to use usb hub or mobile charger with usb.
I more headache i need the dual cable to use coz i only ise my mobile for music and need surf net.
M500 got usb and power input. zzzzzz
Maybe need to wait

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190705_103001_com.taobao.taobao.jpg
    Screenshot_20190705_103001_com.taobao.taobao.jpg
    861.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20190705_132717_com.taobao.taobao.jpg
    Screenshot_20190705_132717_com.taobao.taobao.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #15 of 58
Hi there,
About the filters, theyre standard built in the akm chips, just google on the chip specs to see them explained. Im just holding my trigger on an questyle cma400i which uses older akm4490 but has better class A amp section. Seems they keep using this chip instead of going to the latest generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back