SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Aug 10, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #106 of 544
there aren't any notes about the update on SMSL's website
Really? :) Look at http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=133 :

20170807115611321132.jpg

You know what «USB1.1 specs» means? Audio Class 1, dude. So it's a downgrade. Factory firmware has 2 USB configurations: USB Audio Class 2 and Audio Class 1 for backward compatibility, so host will define desired config to deal with. F/W «upgrade» we're talking about has no Class 2 configuration, so no choice — only Class 1.

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #107 of 544
Really? :) Look at http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=133 :

20170807115611321132.jpg

You know what «USB1.1 specs» means? Audio Class 1, dude. So it's a downgrade. Factory firmware has 2 USB configurations: USB Audio Class 2 and Audio Class 1 for backward compatibility, so host will define desired config to deal with. F/W «upgrade» we're talking about has no Class 2 configuration, so no choice — only Class 1.

That could easily be interpreted as software version 1.1. And that bit neither says anything about not being able to revert nor is it placed next the the actual page where you download the file.

Aug 10, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #109 of 544
Using that logic of yours, factory software version could be interpreted as version 2.0. So, downgrade again. :)

As if I knew that the original firmware version was 2.0, or as if even if I had seen the number 2.0 anywhere that I should have ridigly assumed that a lesser number meant downgrade and that any such conclusion should override my correct knowledge of what an update is known and supposed to entail? The download link clearly stated FW update. Updates are not known to be "limited use" sidegrades, and it's even lesser known for an update to intentionally block further updating or downgrading. Even Microsoft let's you revert from Windows 10 to 8 or 7, and we all know how full of it Microsoft is. But it isn't SMSL that's full of it, just inexperienced.

No, I never saw that little bit you screenshotted, but the information is not worded well and thus confusing, and talks about USB versions, not firmware versions. It was all just a confusing mess. And it isn't a clean cut downgrade; remember, the update is beneficial for those it's supposed to beneficial for, who're those that need better OTG compatibility. Unfortunately, even this update doesn't fix OTG compatibility for all phones, else I'd be happier with the update. However, even if that were fixed, I'm suspicious that the update introduced a pretty noticeable popping noise that comes up sporadically in single clicks. I don't remember it before, they aren't hard coded in the music after testing, and neither am I hearing them with my other DACs. I'm nearly sure this wasn't a problem beforehand, but I'm not going to firmly conclude anything yet.

Let's end this game for now, and hopefully you could even recognize the poor way SMSL handled this situation. I just happen to be the first one to expose it; if not me then someone else. Not being able to revert is bullshiit, and not including clear release notes next to the main download link isn't up to par. And don't tell me to expect as much from a lesser established hi-fi business from China. As someone with no business experience I wouldn't have ever considered handling the release of a firmware update in this way.

The link direct from SMSL's website I mentioned was taken down. I guess we'll see how things play out.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #110 of 544
This is the risk for paying so little for the SMSL. Customer service costs money, and part of the bargain pricing from these cheaper brands is to not expect much, if anything beyond a 30 day return policy (if that).

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #111 of 544
Their customer service is slow to respond, granted so is Massdrop's. I'm trying to arrange a replacement and it's just annoying what's been going on.

Thankfully the SMSL Idea itself is great, which is why I'm pursuing all of this. It's finally moved me to its sound signature over the Audioengine D3, making it the best mini-DAC i've personally heard.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #112 of 544
On the Axon 7 the buzzing noise doesn't seem to go away when you set the usb mode to midi. It does work with UAPP though. Also when i set it to midi, it changes to charging, and i have to press midi again two or three times untill it actually changes what i selected.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #113 of 544
On the Axon 7 the buzzing noise doesn't seem to go away when you set the usb mode to midi. It does work with UAPP though. Also when i set it to midi, it changes to charging, and i have to press midi again two or three times untill it actually changes what i selected.

When you change to Midi your audio app immediately pops up. Click the Play and see how it goes. When I do it on the HF Player it works like a charm.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #115 of 544
Yes, the Sabaj Da2 circuit board also appears to be identical as the SMSL iDEA. Suspect they are from the same factory.

Good thing is the Sabaj is cheaper, though not sure if it also has the buzzing noise issue as the iDEA.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #118 of 544
There's a newer version called the Sabaj Da3 and guess what? it has some issues with Android as well.

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #120 of 544
So the Idea and Da2 are an OEM board and chassis being branded by different sellers? Interesting.
Note that the full price of Da2 is the same price that the Idea was on Massdrop.

Also wondering if Da2 has better Android support. If anyone tests this (a Da2 working with a phone that the Idea does not work) please let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back