SMSL D400EX & D400ES - Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #92 of 284
I have Topping DX5 pro, is that enough?!
Yeah, that'll work. You just need 2 balanced XLR cables (3-pin) to connect the D400EX to your DX5 (2 RCA cables would also work if you want to go unbalanced). @ahmonge is right, DX5 seems to only have XLR and RCA outputs, no analog inputs. Might need a different headphone amp if you want to use a standalone DAC like the D400EX.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #93 of 284
I have Topping DX5 pro, is that enough?!
As far as I know, the Topping DX5 has no analog inputs, so you cannot use it as a headphones amplifier bypassing the internal DAC

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #95 of 284
As far as I know, the Topping DX5 has no analog inputs, so you cannot use it as a headphones amplifier bypassing the internal DAC
You might be right

3006fcfbad9dd8ab0d5d6a57225a93eb.jpg

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #96 of 284
This is what I'm doing now, Connected the D400EX to my PC using USB and my MDR Z1R to the dual RCA in the back unbalanced
There's only a pre-amplifier on the D400EX since it's only a DAC, has no headphone amplifier section. You will need to connect the D400EX to a dedicated headphone amplifier using XLR or RCA outputs on the D400EX and connecting to the XLR or RCA inputs on a headphone amp (on the back on the amp). Then, as far as I'm aware, you would need a headphones cable like this that connects to the single headphone out plug on the headphone amp (could be 4-pin XLR, could be 3.5mm or 1/4", but it's only going to be 1 plug).

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #97 of 284
There's only a pre-amplifier on the D400EX since it's only a DAC, has no headphone amplifier section. You will need to connect the D400EX to a dedicated headphone amplifier using XLR or RCA outputs on the D400EX and connecting to the XLR or RCA inputs on a headphone amp (on the back on the amp). Then, as far as I'm aware, you would need a headphones cable like this that connects to the single headphone out plug on the headphone amp (could be 4-pin XLR, could be 3.5mm or 1/4", but it's only going to be 1 plug).

I do have this cable you linked already and i was using it with DX5 pro, so now only i just need to connect the D400EX outputs to the DX5pro inputs and we're done? I think i can do that tomorrow morning after work

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #98 of 284
I think the issue is that the DX5 is a combo DAC/AMP unit and doesn't have any inputs. The plugs on the back of the unit are outputs so that you can use the DAC on the DX5 and connect to an external amplifier.

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #100 of 284
I think the MDR Z1R is pretty easy to drive, so just about any headphone amp should be able to drive it well. Because the DAC you plan to use is so good and transparent, you probably want at least a mid-tier Solid State Headphone amp at least so that it's not the bottleneck in your chain. I have a Schiit Jotunheim 2 and would absolutely recommend this amp for your use-case because I've found it to be exceptional for the money. You would probably just need the $400 "no module" version since you already have a dedicated DAC. With that said, there's lots of other options!

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #101 of 284
I think the MDR Z1R is pretty easy to drive, so just about any headphone amp should be able to drive it well. Because the DAC you plan to use is so good and transparent, you probably want at least a mid-tier Solid State Headphone amp at least so that it's not the bottleneck in your chain. I have a Schiit Jotunheim 2 and would absolutely recommend this amp for your use-case because I've found it to be exceptional for the money. You would probably just need the $400 "no module" version since you already have a dedicated DAC. With that said, there's lots of other options!

I was looking at this one but it seems outta stock everywhere

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/593.html

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #102 of 284
I think it's been discontinued and replaced by another SMSL/VMV model (SMSL SP400). I don't have experience with SMSL amps, but I've used cheaper THX AAA circuit amps before and prefer the Jotunheim.

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #103 of 284
I think it's been discontinued and replaced by another SMSL/VMV model (SMSL SP400). I don't have experience with SMSL amps, but I've used cheaper THX AAA circuit amps before and prefer the Jotunheim.

Jotunheim sounds good for me, now i need the XLR 2 pack cables that works, amazon got tons of options for me 😸 GeariT seems the best one

Dec 9, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #104 of 284
Jotunheim sounds good for me, now i need the XLR 2 pack cables that works, amazon got tons of options for me 😸 GeariT seems the best one
I don't think cables make a big difference in sound at all. With that said, I really like BlueJean Cables for their quality cables at affordable prices (in audiophile terms at least). Plus they're made and assembled in US if you care about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back