SMSL D400EX & D400ES - Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #123 of 284
I'm done modding the D400EX. Very happy with the result. There is technically some more potential in the IV-stage, but it's not feasible due to the miniaturization of the respective parts and traces. The hardest nut was the 400kHz switching regulator for the digital domain. Finding the best capacitor compromise here is very difficult. It has not come out perfect, but I had to find an end eventually. My HiFi buddy has a tweaked D90SE and we regularly compared the two. I don't enjoy the crispy ESS sound anymore. The AKM "velvet sound" is truly addictive.

In a kind of co-evolution, my HPA4 pre-amp got some new tweaks, too. A great match! The forgiving, soft sound that I got from the DAC during the first days is gone completely. It is fresh, dynamic, and super transparent without being annoying - to my ears at least. The weakness of the DAC is its output stage and digital volume control. Without the HPA4 it loses precision.

I was planning to write a detailed blog post, but I am very lazy these days :grin:.

BTW, I still stick to filter 1 (sharp roll-off). Sometimes, some other filters can take overbright edges off, depending on the material, but I prefer the clean precision of #1.
I tried to understand what the sound colors do. I am still clueless and stayed with #1. The other three bring nothing interesting to the table for me.

Jan 2, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #124 of 284
BTW, I still stick to filter 1 (sharp roll-off). Sometimes, some other filters can take overbright edges off, depending on the material, but I prefer the clean precision of #1.
I tried to understand what the sound colors do. I am still clueless and stayed with #1. The other three bring nothing interesting to the table for me.
I confirm. :metal: 1 Filter and 1 color chose. "Velvet sound" rules.:L3000:

Jan 3, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #127 of 284
I'm done modding the D400EX. Very happy with the result. There is technically some more potential in the IV-stage, but it's not feasible due to the miniaturization of the respective parts and traces. The hardest nut was the 400kHz switching regulator for the digital domain. Finding the best capacitor compromise here is very difficult. It has not come out perfect, but I had to find an end eventually. My HiFi buddy has a tweaked D90SE and we regularly compared the two. I don't enjoy the crispy ESS sound anymore. The AKM "velvet sound" is truly addictive.

In a kind of co-evolution, my HPA4 pre-amp got some new tweaks, too. A great match! The forgiving, soft sound that I got from the DAC during the first days is gone completely. It is fresh, dynamic, and super transparent without being annoying - to my ears at least. The weakness of the DAC is its output stage and digital volume control. Without the HPA4 it loses precision.

I was planning to write a detailed blog post, but I am very lazy these days :grin:.

Its all about synergy. Sabre dac will sound better than akm with warmer amp and Akm one sound better with neutral amp than Sabre dac.

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #129 of 284
340khz. The best capacitor there is a ceramic smd one. Few 10uF ceramic multilayer in parallel are the best option.
Nope. Ceramics are only good in theory. I never liked their sound and the D400 was no exception. Everybody uses them because they are cheap and ok on paper, yet every single time they do something with the sound that I don't appreciate.

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #130 of 284
Nope. Ceramics are only good in theory. I never liked their sound and the D400 was no exception. Everybody uses them because they are cheap and ok on paper, yet every single time they do something with the sound that I don't appreciate.
Do you know which voltage regulators these are?

Attachments

• d400a.jpg
    d400a.jpg
    884.9 KB · Views: 0
Jan 19, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #134 of 284
Hello - just wondering if anyone has had a chance o compare this DAC to a Pontus II or Directstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back