SMSL D400EX & D400ES - Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #79 of 284
In the meantime I got rid of the big blue coupling caps behind the I/V stage by modifying the circuit. I can trim down the DC component in the signal to low one-digit mVolts. The more I improve (that's an assumption :) ) the device, the smoother and richer in texture, especially the mids, the sound becomes. I still miss the transient attack of my former ESS DACs. The AKM does everything so differently that it is puzzling sometimes. The rhythmic structures of some tracks don't feel the same, it's weird.

Well, making a smoothie-DAC sound brighter is potentially a simpler task than taming down an aggressive one. Let's see where this is taking me.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #80 of 284
In the meantime I got rid of the big blue coupling caps behind the I/V stage by modifying the circuit. I can trim down the DC component in the signal to low one-digit mVolts. The more I improve (that's an assumption :) ) the device, the smoother and richer in texture, especially the mids, the sound becomes. I still miss the transient attack of my former ESS DACs. The AKM does everything so differently that it is puzzling sometimes. The rhythmic structures of some tracks don't feel the same, it's weird.

Well, making a smoothie-DAC sound brighter is potentially a simpler task than taming down an aggressive one. Let's see where this is taking me.
Any new experiences with it? It is a keeper? 🙂

Nov 27, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #81 of 284
That's a keeper for sure! It has already surpassed the pimped D90SE. As always it is all about the caps. I am beginning to understand, what AKM means by "velvet sound". That characteristic smoothness is always there. I managed to get rid of the softness, which was forgiving, but made transients kinda lame. This DAC can do much more. I hope I don't break it, a number of experiments are still to come :)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #82 of 284
That's a keeper for sure! It has already surpassed the pimped D90SE. As always it is all about the caps. I am beginning to understand, what AKM means by "velvet sound". That characteristic smoothness is always there. I managed to get rid of the softness, which was forgiving, but made transients kinda lame. This DAC can do much more. I hope I don't break it, a number of experiments are still to come :)
Hi HermannS,
any news on your moddings?

Dec 3, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #83 of 284
Here are some snapshots of the current modifications.

All the yellow caps are Rubycon UFG aka "FineGold". The originals looked similar, but are UFW, which is one grade lower. The FineGolds are very nice! They produce an airy, clear sound. Their weakness is the treble, which they present as rather fragmented. They need a matching bypass.

Generally, the SMSL designers thought along the lines of "more is better" and oversized a number of caps. That did not do any good. The sound became too thick and dark for my taste. I downsized the 4 black Nichicon UKZ (upper right) from 470 to 220. The 220 is an outstanding cap that sounds quite different from its UKZ brothers. This is a late discovery as I used to prefer the 100, which sounds grainy in comparison.
Also, the big yellow ones are 4700 originally. The AKM datasheet suggests 2200 and that's what I picked. The FineGolds are bigger and that size fits perfectly.

_mod_overview.jpg

The most delicate operation was the IV stage, which I modified to get rid of the coupling caps. A 2.5V offset can be trimmed down to 0 by replacing one miniscule resistor and connecting a trimpot instead. The common mode voltage in the IV stage is very sensitive and Black Gates 33µ help to beef up the midrange. The parts and traces are very small there and a certain danger of breaking things has to be dealt with.
I am awaiting "boutique" Amtrans AMCH polystyrene caps, which will replace the cheap no-name red thingies in the passive filter.

_mod_iv.jpg

Another new discovery is the Rubycon MU SMD filter cap. Those are very expensive (the 2.2µ is 5$ a piece), but man, do they clean up! Two MU are sitting under the aforementioned Nichicon KZ (12V supply) and one is behind the DCDC converter for the digital domain. See the following image. There, the SMSL designers ignored the recommendations from the datasheet and deployed too much capacity (144µ total instead of the 44 recommended). I reduced it to two BlackGates 33µ plus the MU 2.2µ.

_mod_dcdc_digi.jpg

And finally, another important spot is the 12V decoupling in front of the two 11V regulators that supply all op amps. FineGolds 100µ plus 22µ POSCAPs are my current favorites. That's not yet the final configuration, I think.

_mod_11v.jpg

So, what has improved? First and foremost the clarity and contours. I complained about the missing attack and that the original sound was soft. I also criticized a lack of texture in the upper midrange. Well, the AKM is able to attack all right and it can produce sparkling treble, fast transients, and plenty of texture! However without the crispiness of the ESS DACs. Instead with its characteristic "velvet sound" as they call it. This thing pushed my system forward and not in a subtle way. The spread between bad and good recordings has widened. Old stuff sounds old as it should. It's not spiced up. More realistic and believable in total.

If you ask me, the AKM design has much more potential than the ESS. In the D400, the power supply is just so sufficient. With more effort - which is not feasible here - the AKMs could do even better, I think.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #84 of 284
Here are some snapshots of the current modifications.

All the yellow caps are Rubycon UFG aka "FineGold". The originals looked similar, but are UFW, which is one grade lower. The FineGolds are very nice! They produce an airy, clear sound. Their weakness is the treble, which they present as rather fragmented. They need a matching bypass.

Generally, the SMSL designers thought along the lines of "more is better" and oversized a number of caps. That did not do any good. The sound became too thick and dark for my taste. I downsized the 4 black Nichicon UKZ (upper right) from 470 to 220. The 220 is an outstanding cap that sounds quite different from its UKZ brothers. This is a late discovery as I used to prefer the 100, which sounds grainy in comparison.
Also, the big yellow ones are 4700 originally. The AKM datasheet suggests 2200 and that's what I picked. The FineGolds are bigger and that size fits perfectly.

_mod_overview.jpg

The most delicate operation was the IV stage, which I modified to get rid of the coupling caps. A 2.5V offset can be trimmed down to 0 by replacing one miniscule resistor and connecting a trimpot instead. The common mode voltage in the IV stage is very sensitive and Black Gates 33µ help to beef up the midrange. The parts and traces are very small there and a certain danger of breaking things has to be dealt with.
I am awaiting "boutique" Amtrans AMCH polystyrene caps, which will replace the cheap no-name red thingies in the passive filter.

_mod_iv.jpg

Another new discovery is the Rubycon MU SMD filter cap. Those are very expensive (the 2.2µ is 5$ a piece), but man, do they clean up! Two MU are sitting under the aforementioned Nichicon KZ (12V supply) and one is behind the DCDC converter for the digital domain. See the following image. There, the SMSL designers ignored the recommendations from the datasheet and deployed too much capacity (144µ total instead of the 44 recommended). I reduced it to two BlackGates 33µ plus the MU 2.2µ.

_mod_dcdc_digi.jpg

And finally, another important spot is the 12V decoupling in front of the two 11V regulators that supply all op amps. FineGolds 100µ plus 22µ POSCAPs are my current favorites. That's not yet the final configuration, I think.

_mod_11v.jpg

So, what has improved? First and foremost the clarity and contours. I complained about the missing attack and that the original sound was soft. I also criticized a lack of texture in the upper midrange. Well, the AKM is able to attack all right and it can produce sparkling treble, fast transients, and plenty of texture! However without the crispiness of the ESS DACs. Instead with its characteristic "velvet sound" as they call it. This thing pushed my system forward and not in a subtle way. The spread between bad and good recordings has widened. Old stuff sounds old as it should. It's not spiced up. More realistic and believable in total.

If you ask me, the AKM design has much more potential than the ESS. In the D400, the power supply is just so sufficient. With more effort - which is not feasible here - the AKMs could do even better, I think.
Wow, those mod's are impressive. Is this unit worth getting for us mere mortals that have zero plans for modding? Or should I wait for SMSL to release V2 of this unit?

Dec 3, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #85 of 284
Wow, those mod's are impressive. Is this unit worth getting for us mere mortals that have zero plans for modding? Or should I wait for SMSL to release V2 of this unit?
That's difficult to say since so much depends on personal taste and what your current base is. It is a great DAC for people who prefer smooth, non-pinchy/crispy sound. Its overall character is more relaxing than exciting/attacking. Can't describe it better :grin:

Dec 3, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #86 of 284
That's difficult to say since so much depends on personal taste and what your current base is. It is a great DAC for people who prefer smooth, non-pinchy/crispy sound. Its overall character is more relaxing than exciting/attacking. Can't describe it better :grin:
That is very helpful. My current setup is the Hifi Rose 150b which uses SABRE ES9038PRO, Linear power supply, and highly precise Femto clock. Not sure I would be able to discern a difference. Always have that itch to try something different.

Dec 3, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #87 of 284
That is very helpful. My current setup is the Hifi Rose 150b which uses SABRE ES9038PRO, Linear power supply, and highly precise Femto clock. Not sure I would be able to discern a difference. Always have that itch to try something different.
You would hear a big difference. Whether you would like it or not is a different question altogether. Yeah, that itch, so familiar :L3000:

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #89 of 284
Hello

i just got D400EX and want to pair it with Sony MDR Z1R but i think i need dual XLR connectors to dual 3.5mm cables, nowhere to find them cheap tbh

but i got these from UK hopefully i got the right ones

OIDIO Mongrel Cable for Sony MDR-Z7 & MDR-Z1R Headphones
- Headphone End Connectors: Amphenol
- Length & Wire Type: Litz 1m
- Left Cord Colour: Black
- Right Cord Colour: Battleship
- Optional Secondary/Main Cord Colour: Brown
- Source Connector: 2x 3pin M Neutrik XLR
- Splitter: Heat Shrink
- Split Length: S (25-30cm)
- Left / Right Heat Shrink: None
- Optional Source Branding (excl. XLR): None

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #90 of 284
Hello

i just got D400EX and want to pair it with Sony MDR Z1R but i think i need dual XLR connectors to dual 3.5mm cables, nowhere to find them cheap tbh

but i got these from UK hopefully i got the right ones

OIDIO Mongrel Cable for Sony MDR-Z7 & MDR-Z1R Headphones
- Headphone End Connectors: Amphenol
- Length & Wire Type: Litz 1m
- Left Cord Colour: Black
- Right Cord Colour: Battleship
- Optional Secondary/Main Cord Colour: Brown
- Source Connector: 2x 3pin M Neutrik XLR
- Splitter: Heat Shrink
- Split Length: S (25-30cm)
- Left / Right Heat Shrink: None
- Optional Source Branding (excl. XLR): None
You rather need a headphone amplifier that needs to be connected to the 400EX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back