"Smooth Highs" -No thanks
Jan 11, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe you might find a number of Grados with the sound signature you are looking for. The RS series for sure, a more "true" presentation IMHO than the Senns, plus possibly a number of other series.

THIS

wink.gif
325is in particular. The highs are... razor sharp, to say the least, especially with a good home amp behind them. The bass is punchy and articulate too.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheisers are known for their "darker" or "veiled" sound signature. You may try AKG K701 or Beyerdynamic DT880 for a brighter sound.

edit: Sennheiser HD650 is known for its "dark" or "veiled" sound signature. You may try AKG K701 or Beyerdynamic DT880 for a brighter sound.

i have HD600..and its no way Dark or veiled.

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The highs on the 595s were not at all smooth to me. They struck me as hard and clear.

agree with that. i guess it depends on the other parts of the rig,like the amp and cables/interconnects and also the source ofcourse. but generally i personally thing the hd595 have very nice treble, it can be piercing sometimes.
there is also something true about the hd595 treble "out of control",
but what one can expect whan buying a 200+$ pair of headphones, and in the hd595 case i dont think it can get better than this.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Welcome to Head-Fi, Chesus, and sorry about your wallet.

hahaha cheers man! (y)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Look into getting an amp first. What is your budget?

well, none at the moment :p i was thinking about selling my senns (the 595 plus a pair of 555 that is laying around at home) and getting a decent headphone of the characteristics im seeking, in hope that its possible :p

but if i get the 555's sold i could probably get a _very cheap_ amp for around 70 dollars, if that will get me anywhere..

what are these interconnects you spoke about, is that new cables for the phones? (i r teh noob in the universe of audiology)
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #20 of 32
I don't think an amp will significantly benefit the HD595; along with the HD555, they're designed to be driven well from the start. I'd keep this in mind before selling your headphones to buy an amp.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Sennheisers are known for their "darker" or "veiled" sound signature. You may try AKG K701 or Beyerdynamic DT880 for a brighter sound.

There is no Sennheiser veil.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think an amp will significantly benefit the HD595; along with the HD555, they're designed to be driven well from the start. I'd keep this in mind before selling your headphones to buy an amp.

Even earbuds coming with a PMP may improve with an amp.
ph34r.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #24 of 32
^ Yes, I said significantly. It's quite possible an amp might help, but I think the OP is likely to be disappointed with how little of a difference one will make with phones like the HD555/595.

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #25 of 32
I'd suggest trying a pair of HD600s if you can. The same issue comes up with many people with the HD650, with many people preferring the HD600s for the same reason, the 650s being too "dark" sounding.

I wouldn't recommend AKGs unless you wish to invest in a serious amp and DAC personally, or at least if you listen to more than classical and jazz, unless you like a very mids-forward presentation.

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no Sennheiser veil.

I would say that the "veil" is over-emphasized on this site, but I do think that it exists when the cans aren't amped well. I have heard the 650s with really nice amps and there is no longer a veil of any kind.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #27 of 32
you, my friend, need the DT880 Pro.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that the "veil" is over-emphasized on this site, but I do think that it exists when the cans aren't amped well. I have heard the 650s with really nice amps and there is no longer a veil of any kind.

I would disagree. Not strongly, mind you, but still even when fantastically amped, the HD650 presented themselves as a touch warm and a touch veiled, as compared to other cans / house sounds known as being more open.

The gauze might be paper-thin, but it's still there.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

I'm pretty sure. I'm using 1212M and a DIY amp (CMoy-like, based on AD797) and don't care for integrated audio. Check headamp and source section for more options.

ok, thanks. is DIY a make/manufacturer? :p

Thank you for the substantial answers people!

Looks like my safest bet are these DT880 phones, i take it they would need an amp to be driven, would this need to be a very serious amp that would kill my wallet?

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD595's trebles are "out of focus". DT880, SR325i or Sony MDR-SA5000 will work.

Agreed, but for me I would rather have smoother highs than having harsh ones. I don't mind having a focus on treble as long as it doesn't sound "forced" or "hard" as another poster said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back