"Smooth Highs" -No thanks
Jan 11, 2009 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Chesus

New Head-Fier
Hi, i currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 595. These are some beautiful headphones that has revelated me to a whole new dimension of bass. These phones are really exquisite when it comes to acoustic sounds, but when entering the area of electronic music i find the treble to be too soft, i want it to pack a punch. So i wanted to ask you guys/gals about a couple of things.

Is this the construction of the headphones and is it unchangeable?

Does the 650/600 sound similar? (i.e soft treble/smooth highs)

What headphones would you recommend for my preference? (Accurate bass and strict/hard treble)
I do not want the sound to be refined, i want it to be raw: pure and "true"

What is the reason for this smooth sound, is it adjusted to be this way as in sennheiser aimed to achieve this sound? -I guess so because as i said these are the best headphones by far for acoustics

And lastly i apologize for any miss-interpretations; if i misunderstood any of these expressions and use them in the wrong way

Note: As i am currently only but a student i cant afford the absolute high-end

PS: Could this effect be related to inadequate amplifying? -Im plugging the directly to my PC but the sound has an incredible clarity so i suspect that it doesnt have a relation to this, plus i can crank up the volume till i go def.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, i currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 595. These are some beautiful headphones that has revelated me to a whole new dimension of bass. These phones are really exquisite when it comes to acoustic sounds, but when entering the area of electronic music i find the treble to be too soft, i want it to pack a punch. So i wanted to ask you guys/gals about a couple of things.

Is this the construction of the headphones and is it unchangeable?

Does the 650/600 sound similar? (i.e soft treble/smooth highs)

What headphones would you recommend for my preference? (Accurate bass and strict/hard treble)
I do not want the sound to be refined, i want it to be raw: pure and "true"

What is the reason for this smooth sound, is it adjusted to be this way as in sennheiser aimed to achieve this sound? -I guess so because as i said these are the best headphones by far for acoustics

And lastly i apologize for any miss-interpretations; if i misunderstood any of these expressions and use them in the wrong way

I find that the treble on my HD-600s is a tad rolled-off... "smooth highs", if you will... the detail is there in the upper registers, just at a lower volume. I like this. A lot.

I used to own Beyer DT-880s, and got rid of them because they have the sound signature it seems you're looking for, which I didn't like after awhile. They definitely have strict/hard treble, that's for sure. They may be right up your alley!

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 32
I found the HD595 have a harsh, slightly bright treb and somewhat distant.
I don't like it at all really
ph34r.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Im plugging the directly to my PC but the sound has an incredible clarity so i suspect that it doesnt have a relation to this, plus i can crank up the volume till i go def.

Do you have a sound card or just use integrated audio? A decent sound card and a headamp may give you an incredible incredible increase of clarity.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 32
I believe you might find a number of Grados with the sound signature you are looking for. The RS series for sure, a more "true" presentation IMHO than the Senns, plus possibly a number of other series.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhat_thanh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ph34r.gif

sorry this is off topic.
where did you get your ad2000's?
ta

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 32
Oh, BTW

Quote:

What is the reason for this smooth sound, is it adjusted to be this way as in sennheiser aimed to achieve this sound?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: After years of selling high-end audio, I find the most popular sound to be "romantic": a slight softening of the presentation, a step back from the orchestra pit, a warmth added to the lower midrange / upper bass response. Sennheiser simply went after the fattest target of the market; this could be called "Good Business".

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a sound card or just use integrated audio? A decent sound card and a headamp may give you an incredible incredible increase of clarity.

Im using integrated audio -are you sure about this? cause i already experience a fantastic clarity as it is so i thought that wasnt it. Could you recommend any cheap headamps and/or soundcards?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhat_thanh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ph34r.gif

I think that defines my opinion quite well, although i dont think its harsh, but distant.
Wish it was more present.

Thank you for all your answers, but as of my current status as a student my economy unfortunately doesnt allow for the absolute high-end.. i should have said this in the first post :p

btw guys, what about AKG phones in this particular area?

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Im using integrated audio -are you sure about this? cause i already experience a fantastic clarity as it is so i thought that wasnt it. Could you recommend any cheap headamps and/or soundcards?

I'm pretty sure. I'm using 1212M and a DIY amp (CMoy-like, based on AD797) and don't care for integrated audio. Check headamp and source section for more options.

Quote:

btw guys, what about AKG phones in this particular area?

I'm a big AKG fan. I'm not very competent in electronic music, but, say, Shpongle sounds great with my K501. But beware of K501 having a weird undeep bass in stock state, so K701, K601 or at least K501 with K701 pads would be a safer choice.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 32
You can get more piercing highs if you want. The Senn, in stock form are 'laid-back,' but they can become trebly if you put the right rig around them. You could get your headphones recabled and interconnects as well using silver based solutions. There was a lot more treble detail after I used the Excalibur interconnects, which is silver based. But then again, you need to get an amp first.

You could try out a new set of headphones such as the K701s for your treble needs. However, you may question where the bass went. Plus, they require a lot of juice, so they definitely won't be getting their potential without an amp.

Look into getting an amp first. What is your budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back