SMD vs. Through hole
May 31, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
technically easier - TH
least time & energy consuming - SMD

So uh, both. Once you get it, SMD is easier, but the learning curve is much steeper. It depends what you mean by 'easy'.

I mean easy as in easy to you, not easiest for someone new to DIY.

May 31, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 17
so far i only use TH. never try SMD. even dont know how to do it, coz just newbie
biggrin.gif
for SMD, we use solder also? or any special technique? because i see there a lot of pin and the layout is very compact.

May 31, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cutun1217 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so far i only use TH. never try SMD. even dont know how to do it, coz just newbie
biggrin.gif
for SMD, we use solder also? or any special technique? because i see there a lot of pin and the layout is very compact.

With SMD, you are just taking your part and soldering to a terminal or whatever on the PCB, versus having to stick it through the pinholes in the board, flip it over, solder from behind, and then clip the leads. For starting off, the through hole technically would be easier, but its also more effort. Once you get SMD down, it is easier and less work. Just seems better all around.

EDIT: http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/ - Watch #3

May 31, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 17
0603 and SSOP I have no problems with, and I'd probably have no problems with anything else as long as it has exposed pins. I only have an average Hakko soldering station and it is really all in the technique and flux. Once you start talking about BGA and the likes, I don't think I'd try touching them without some very expensive equipment, not being able to see the joints just scares me

I really enjoy SMD on a properly made PCB, but if I'm going do be hacking together something on a prototyping board, which I do a lot of, then through hole is really the only way, though I have tacked on wires to some small pin count SMD's to use as through hole

May 31, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 17
I am an electronic tech and would have to say that thru hole is easier for the obvious reasons. SMD can be done quite well, but you have to practice and have the right equipment.

May 31, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 17
through hole is easier ... plug the component in, forget about its position and solder away.

smd takes more effort but the end result is nicer =)

May 31, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It also depends upon what you mean by SMD... 1206 or 0805, no problem. More esoteric than that... huge problem. Toaster ovens, anyone
eek.gif

I regularly work with 0402 components...with a stereo microscope, no problem. No microscope, I can barely see an 0402 component. (Being 49 years old will do that to you).

I generally find SMD much easier to work with, even the tiny stuff. I even use SMD to prototype, although in many instances it's because thats what is more available. Some newer parts aren't even available in thru-hole packages.

It really comes down to what you have more experience/practice with. I have over 15 years of experience with SMD, so for me, it's easier. The right equipment helps a lot as well.

May 31, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 17
You should see some of the PACE equipment rework people have at work. There is an attachment for just about every type of gate array or flat pack possible.

May 31, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 17
As error401 began to mention it's not a cut-n-dry answer for many people. I'll say through-hole is easier because I maintain a stock of far more through-hole parts so that matters more than the actual construction/soldering effort or time difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back