Smartphones and SQ
Nov 29, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #46 of 55
Noob here.  I got an HTC Sensation 4G and just picked up a 32GB Class 10 MicroSDHC card so I could put lots of music on it for the gym/public transit.

My problem is that when I listened to a lot of the mp3s I transferred from my computer (I usually converted at atleast 192 bit rate from CDs) on the smartphone, using my sister's Beyerdynamic (I forget which ones, but they're really good), I found the sound sorely lacking.

• Should I be going with FLAC or Ogg or something?
  • And what is this Poweramp app that people are referring to (i.e. who makes this app, because there seem to be a ton of apps named Poweramp or Power Amp and I want to make sure I get the right one)?  All I know is I hate the default music player on my phone. ;P
  • Also, I'm still desperately searching for sports headphones (not in-ear ones because I want to be able to hear outside sound, in case I want to use them while walking around and don't want to get hit by a car or something), preferably with a mic and controls on the cord, but I can't find a decent one at an affordable (i.e. sub-$100) price.

I know you guys have got great hearing and know your audio, so if you can recommend any headphones that might fit the bill, please let me know.

Oh yeah, one more point: I'd ideally prefer headphones shaped like the old Philips-Nike SHJ020s, but so far the only ones I've found like that are the Scosche IUHP3.  Basically I want something around the neck that doesn't go behind the ears, but rather under them, because behind the ear headphones get in the way of sunglasses, and vertical headphones get in the way of my hat. ;P

I'm starting to think in-ears are my only option, but I'd prefer headphones that don't block out all outside sound but still sound good.

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #47 of 55
Hello, I have the Sensation XE (same thing i think) anyway, some opinions on your question:

*The quality of the Headphones is going to be the key factor here, Bettering the headphones will give you the biggest return on SQ
*I've no idea about decent buds (are PK's still around) but my IE7's are astounding whilst not COMPLETELY blocking out all of the external noise when used with the large tips. The problem here is, your sq is going to decrease with the more ambient noise you can hear.
*IMHO, the Sensation (or 4g) is an astounding player, far better than my old Iphone. YMMV.
*PlayerPRo with the DSP pack is by far the best player i have come across for the Sensation and that includes the Neutron and Poweramp players.
 The stock player is pants tbf.

Regards

Quote:
Noob here.  I got an HTC Sensation 4G and just picked up a 32GB Class 10 MicroSDHC card so I could put lots of music on it for the gym/public transit.

My problem is that when I listened to a lot of the mp3s I transferred from my computer (I usually converted at atleast 192 bit rate from CDs) on the smartphone, using my sister's Beyerdynamic (I forget which ones, but they're really good), I found the sound sorely lacking.

• Should I be going with FLAC or Ogg or something?
  • And what is this Poweramp app that people are referring to (i.e. who makes this app, because there seem to be a ton of apps named Poweramp or Power Amp and I want to make sure I get the right one)?  All I know is I hate the default music player on my phone. ;P
  • Also, I'm still desperately searching for sports headphones (not in-ear ones because I want to be able to hear outside sound, in case I want to use them while walking around and don't want to get hit by a car or something), preferably with a mic and controls on the cord, but I can't find a decent one at an affordable (i.e. sub-$100) price.

I know you guys have got great hearing and know your audio, so if you can recommend any headphones that might fit the bill, please let me know.

Oh yeah, one more point: I'd ideally prefer headphones shaped like the old Philips-Nike SHJ020s, but so far the only ones I've found like that are the Scosche IUHP3.  Basically I want something around the neck that doesn't go behind the ears, but rather under them, because behind the ear headphones get in the way of sunglasses, and vertical headphones get in the way of my hat. ;P

I'm starting to think in-ears are my only option, but I'd prefer headphones that don't block out all outside sound but still sound good.

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #48 of 55
Thanks the for the prompt response.

In general, has anyone here looked into sports headphones (i.e. sweatproof) that don't get in the way of sunglasses and hats?

I hate to think I'd have to get two separate headphones, one for the gym and one for outside.

Maybe I'll just get another pair of the Philips Nike SHJ020s.  They're not exactly audiophile but they sound decent for $20 (I bought my first pair back when they were $60ish, and lost my second pair along with my MiniDisc player :frowning2: ).  But then I'd need to get a separate mic for that setup.

And I agree, the Sensation does music pretty well through the headphone jack (I don't know about Bluetooth, although I hear Bluetooth and music don't go well together).  I think I will go to FLAC or Ogg after all.  Mp3s don't sound bad on my computer so I didn't think it would bother me on the phone, but headphones are always a more personal audio experience.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #49 of 55
I have a Samsung Epic 4G and a Xperia Play.  I've listened on both of them, and I think the Epic does sound better, but the Xperia still sounds pretty good.  Only if they made a line out for these phones.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #51 of 55
Xperia is fairly decent.  I thought it was pretty good, but I attached a Fiio E5 to it, and raised the volume on the E5 all the way, then slowly upped the volume on the Xperia till I got a volume I liked.  It actually does sound better with the headphones, gives it a little more oomph, but I do have the Bass Boost on... Not bad.  I'm listening to a few tracks and then compare to the Clip Zip I have.  I'm using PowerAmp too, which I do like a lot!

Just waiting on Voodoo for my Epic4G to see if I like that even better.

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #52 of 55
I have an HTC phone. nice phones. good sound. I am looking forward to trying out the new HTC with Beats audio. Their next gen with Beats and the Ice Cream Sandwich OS should be Nice ! so I am waiting for the summer. Should be sweet!

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #54 of 55
Hi!

Smartphones are not my piece of cake, but the Geeksphone ZERO has a Woolfson DAC and to my ears it sounds quite good. Not mine, so I haven't give if much test time, but the sound is more than decent for a DAP if you ask me. Also, not very big, and reasonably cheap for an smartphone (about 170 EUR plus shipping). Android, BTW.

My wife is going to use that phone as a replacement for her Sansa Clip+ which recently died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back