Smartphones and SQ
Oct 30, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #31 of 55
Looks like Dell is gonna make a keyboard-less Android version of the WP7 Dell Venue Pro, the Dell Venue. I wonder if it will have all the EQ and sound customizations the WP7 model will have. Me, I've decided I'm to personally involved w/Android to switch now - especially since I sideloaded Applanet on my Droid 2,.........I ain't going back I say!!!

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #32 of 55
Been testing the HTC Desire Z and the hp out is clean; no noticeable hiss with my E500.  There's a veil in the mids and the highs are not as extended as the S9.  SQ-wise it's an OK player if you're coming from an avg player.  Also, the volume steps are not as fine as the S9 so it's either too loud or too soft with the sensitive E500.  Battery life and charging time are poor so don't rely on the Z as your primary media player if you care to make calls, text, surf the Web, navigation, etc.  The Z build quality is solid with brushed metal accents and rubberized grip surfaces.  Given its size though, it weighs a hefty 6.4oz/181g (compared to the S9 at 2.8oz/78g).  Personally, I prefer my pockets not be weighed down excessively and would like the weight trimmed down a third.

Anyone have luck with FLAC players?  Meridian (or possibly it's Android) skips often with FLAC files.  Also, embedded cover art does not show up.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #33 of 55
@techfreakazoid

Have you tried PowerAMP? It uses ffmpeg for it's codecs instead of the default codecs built into Android. There is also a 10 band EQ and tone adjustment built into the player.  I'm using it on my Xperia X10 (running the global 2.1 firmware).

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #35 of 55
I, sadly, do NOT like the SQ of my Droid 2 - even w/powerAMP installed. It sounds thin and lifeless,...meh!!!

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #36 of 55
Has the Droid 2 been rooted yet? If it has, then there is the possibility of making it sound better. My Incredible went from sounding only so-so, to sounding pretty amazing after rooting and doing some hacks.

Quote:
I, sadly, do NOT like the SQ of my Droid 2 - even w/powerAMP installed. It sounds thin and lifeless,...meh!!!

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #37 of 55
@jasonb: I rooted then unrooted it (2min process BTW). Do you have a link to help w/the SQ issue??? I'd really love the help,...please PM me if needed, and thanks!!!

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #38 of 55
i'm not to knowledgeable on the Droid 2, but on my Inc i installed a root only app called DSP Manager. it's an app that has an adjustable EQ and also some room effects which is a more complex crossfeed. there is also a file that needs to be replaced in the system/lib folder in order for the app to actually function. if this can be done on the Droid 2, then it should yield a decent increase in SQ. on my Inc i also ported the audio drivers over from the Desire HD as they are much better sounding. the only complaint i have about the sound is a slight hiss that is audible between songs.

Quote:
@jasonb: I rooted then unrooted it (2min process BTW). Do you have a link to help w/the SQ issue??? I'd really love the help,...please PM me if needed, and thanks!!!

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #39 of 55
Just to let everyone know who owns (or is considering buying) a samsung vibrant or captivate. JAC is currently working on some serious audio mods for the galaxy s line. What a lot of people don't know about the phones is that the hardware DAC actually has a 6-band parametric equalizer. The issue with the 2.1 android firmware is that samsung failed to tune the audio properly. I was not impressed at first, but after updating to the new 2.2 firmware (JK2 Bionix Obsidian version) the audio improves noticeably along with battery life. I am getting close to 1.5 days out of the phone and I use it every morning in the gym. It is not my sole player, just for gym use so I don't have to lug around anything but the phone.

Also, for your own sanity, ditch the stock music player. Every complaint I have heard could be solved by using Poweramp as your main player software on any android phone. It includes a full-spectrum software equalizer that really works. Library settings and the widget options make this a very convenient player to use.

I am excited about the audio mods by JAC as they are intended to make full use of the hardware implemented parametric eq rather than just software adjustments. Keep in mind, the galaxy s line of phones are the only series I know of which have this hardware eq, but also allow direct modification and customization of the FIR (finite impulse response) coefficients that the audio output utilizes (for those of you who know the theory behind them).

I believe these phones have a lot of potential, but do not mistake them as replacements for dedicated at-home players. I for one, think they do just fine with my UM3X's when on the go, but they don't hold the candle (and should not be expected to) when it comes to dynamics and minute details that a DIYmod + arrow + UM3X's can deliver, let a long a higher end rig with a dedicated DAC or higher-end DAP such as the HM-602 or HM-801

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #41 of 55
http://project-voodoo.org/

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #45 of 55
FWIW, I've upgraded to the HTC Inspire and I'm truly impressed with the SQ.  Wide sound stage, clear separation of instruments, and very fun to listen to.  The synergy with the W1000X is just wonderful!!

[]s
Walfredo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back