Smartphones and SQ
Oct 14, 2010 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

DjBeau

New Head-Fier
Hi

The mp3 player is probably a dying breed since most people are likely to use their smartphones in stead - walking around with a bunch of devices in stead of just one smartphone which can do it all is simply too clumsy.

Anyway, I bought an iPod touch (2nd gen.) because I liked all the extra features compared to my smaller Sony mp3 player. But the sound quality seriously sucks! Now, at some point my old Nokia phone will die and I'm gonna buy a smart phone to replace both the Nokia and the iPod but I'm definetely not gonna go with an iPhone because of Apple's crappy SQ.

So what to buy? Is there any smartphone out there for people who have just the slightest sense of quality when it comes to music listening?

Of course, I'm not talking about the build in speakers but the line out...

Regards
Beau

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 55
my hacked HTC Incredible sounds great with headphones. it is very nice ti have an all in one device.

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 55
My Droid 2 sounds good, but not Sony Walkman or Cowon good. The Galaxy S lineup is said to sound fantastic (they also have an on board EQ i believe), but only the iPhone lineup is more multimedia centric. The new Nokia N8 is said to be a great performer tho, but I've yet to try 1 out (I have tested the iPhone 4 BTW, the SQ was pretty good IMO).

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #5 of 55

Quote:
My Droid 2 sounds good, but not Sony Walkman or Cowon good. The Galaxy S lineup is said to sound fantastic (they also have an on board EQ i believe), but only the iPhone lineup is more multimedia centric. The new Nokia N8 is said to be a great performer tho, but I've yet to try 1 out (I have tested the iPhone 4 BTW, the SQ was pretty good IMO).

root that beast and put DSP Manager on it. it's an EQ with some crossfeed room effects. DSP Manager really changed how my Incredible sounds. went from ehhh, to sweeeet!

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 55
Too bad one often have to choose between two almost great things: The Samsung Galaxy apparently has great sound but the build of it is supposed to be rather plasticy. And the HTC Desire is well build but doesn't have the SQ of the Samsung...
mad.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 55

I'll seriously consider rooting now, since this gives me inspiration to do so. Plus, I need to get the annoying bloatware off my Droid 2 - Verizon has a few crapped apps on my phone, and the ONLY way to remove them is by rooting the phone,.............BUMMER!
Quote:
root that beast and put DSP Manager on it. it's an EQ with some crossfeed room effects. DSP Manager really changed how my Incredible sounds. went from ehhh, to sweeeet!

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 55

Quote:
Too bad one often have to choose between two almost great things: The Samsung Galaxy apparently has great sound but the build of it is supposed to be rather plasticy. And the HTC Desire is well build but doesn't have the SQ of the Samsung...
mad.gif

I really wouldn't consider the galaxy phones plasticy. It's no more or less plasticy then the iphone 3g/3gs. I'd actually consider the build quality top notch with the super amoled screen and gorilla glass.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 55

The Galaxy S (Vibrant) on Verizon has cheap build quality. And no matter what some may find to complain about w/the iPhone, build quality isn't one of those complaints. The build of an iPhone is ROCK SOLID!!!
Quote:
I really wouldn't consider the galaxy phones plasticy. It's no more or less plasticy then the iphone 3g/3gs. I'd actually consider the build quality top notch with the super amoled screen and gorilla glass.

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 55

Quote:
The Galaxy S (Vibrant) on Verizon has cheap build quality. And no matter what some may find to complain about w/the iPhone, build quality isn't one of those complaints. The build of an iPhone is ROCK SOLID!!!

Dust under the screen, cracking plastic were two pretty big issues with the 3g and 3gs. I don't even have enough time to list all the problems with iphone 4.

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #11 of 55
No device is perfect, and everyone will find flaws w/each. I have a Droid 2, and it's solid as a rock. But, some don't like it. Stuff happens,............

Quote:
Dust under the screen, cracking plastic were two pretty big issues with the 3g and 3gs. I don't even have enough time to list all the problems with iphone 4.

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 55
I'm very satisfied with the SQ on Nokia 6720 Classic, the amp is TPA6130A2 with DirectPath™ (no output dc blocking capacitors). I obviously have no need for an add-on amplifier and Iphone 4 is definitely a no-go. The newer S60 Nokias have this amplifier I guess, the latest S^3 offering might also have this. Symbian on Nokia are crappy, but I'm not married to the phone so I'll get by with it offering me free lifetime navigation.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 55
fwiw the SQ on my G1 aka HTC Dream is fair at best. Even with my super-exclusive Etymotic ER-6i based headset.

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 55
I'm using the Dell Streak (some love it and some hate it but mines working fine and feels solid) non rooted stock software but the sound quality is pretty good ( i actually posted to query if people found low end MP3 players to sound better than current android phones or not).

Inbuilt speakers sound awful but i never cared about them, using radiopaq jazz IEM phones and like the sound a lot! Just wish they did software with EQ without having to root your phone.

I'd be interested in the general opinion of people on your query and if anyone who's got both prefer one or the other as far as SQ goes.

The Galaxy S and Dell Streak are similar in what they do with different pro's and cons depending on your preference, there's a whole load of good android phones if your in the states but in the UK it's a bit more limited.

There is the Desire HD coming out which is highly rated for media so may be worth looking into if they're doing it where you are.

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 55
I have a Verizon Galaxy S.  It has better SQ than any of the of IPods around my house.  I get music into it with Doubletwist which syncs Itunes playlists to the phone in a click or two.  For playback I use the included player software that has an EQ.  It even sounds good with HD650's.  I plan to investigate file formats and player software.  I can play on chess.com or surf the web and listen to music without playback interruptions.  The battery life is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back