Small vs large headphones?
May 30, 2012 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

0liver

New Head-Fier
Good evening all,
Let me start off by saying that I'm a total newbie to the world of headphones.
I recently posted in the recommendations thread and for listening rock and metal, most of the headphones suggested to me looked quite. . . "small" (for example, the Grado SR225 and the Sennheiser HD 25. While this isn't at all a problem, I was just wondering whether there tends to be a difference between the aforementioned small looking headphones and bigger ones, for example the M50?
It has also occurred to me that there might not actually be a difference in their sizes, but it's just that they seem smaller due to their shape?

May 30, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 5
There are 2 types of headphones, supra-aural (on-ear) and circumaural (over-ear). The aforementioned 2 are actually on-ear cans that sit on ears. Headphones like the M50 have bigger pads that encircle your ears.

Take a look at this review from Headfonia. The HD25-1 and M50 are both present in the review. You can clearly see the size difference between the 2. :)

May 30, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Driver sizes do vary considerably. 50mm is considered quite large and many full size headphones use this size of driver.  To my ears the size does make a difference to the sound.  I feel the larger drivers generally sound more accurate though not always the case.  Depends on the headphone.  The likes of Grado use reasonably large drivers, 42mm I think.  I had some SR80s and they did not sound restricted by their size in any way.  I have tried the HD25s and found them to sound very small and restricted,  almost like cheap earbuds but I'm sure many will disagree.  I think if you compared a class leading small driver headphone to a similar priced class leading full size headphone the full size would always win for sound quality (I'm not talking about iem's here as I have no experience with those).
I personally would only go portable size eg HD25 for portability.  I would not worry about the Grado sounding small as in my opinion they don't -  they do sound very nice indeed.

May 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
There are 2 types of headphones, supra-aural (on-ear) and circumaural (over-ear). The aforementioned 2 are actually on-ear cans that sit on ears. Headphones like the M50 have bigger pads that encircle your ears.

Take a look at this review from Headfonia. The HD25-1 and M50 are both present in the review. You can clearly see the size difference between the 2. :)

Ahh, that explains a lot. Thanks very much.

I think I'll probably go for a circumaural pair as I've used a couple of supra-aural headphones before and found them very uncomfortable for my ear shape/structure.

The M50 looks like it'd be a perfect choice if it weren't for the amount of hard rock I listen to. Might have to be some Grados or AKG or something.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Ahh, that explains a lot. Thanks very much.

I think I'll probably go for a circumaural pair as I've used a couple of supra-aural headphones before and found them very uncomfortable for my ear shape/structure.

The M50 looks like it'd be a perfect choice if it weren't for the amount of hard rock I listen to. Might have to be some Grados or AKG or something.

For rock you are best with Grados.  If you find them uncomfortable try the bowl pads.  Another one to think about from my experience is the Sony MDR-V6. Over ear and fairly bright with plenty of energy and detail so good for rock but beware fakes as there are many.  Nice starter headphone though.  Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back