Small sized amp for Sennheiser HD 650
Nov 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dohara

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm looking for a small amp for Senn HD 650.
Tube amp is preferred but can be SS as well.

Its length (or depth) should not be more than 22 cm

So far i have only found the Little Dot I+ but that one turned out to have been designed for low impedance headphones.
What would you recommend?

Thanks.
D.

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 9
I like my HiFiMAN EF2A w/ RCA 5654 tubes for use with my HD 650s. It's a DAC + AMP. I'm sure there are some other choices out there as well tho.

It's small,  sounds good, and I think it powers the HD 650s just fine, almost as well as my dad's giant NAD thing. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 9
The Millett miniMAX hybrid works well with HD650's and is extermely small. While the design is DIY, Whiplash Audio sells them professionally built. If you are skilled in DIY, Beezar has kits available.

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 9
The HD-Q7 is a great amp that is quite tiny and pairs well with Sennheisers. I wrote a review on it here: link

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm using the Meier Audio CORDA STEPDANCE right now with my HD 650 while my OTL tube amp is repaired. I think the STEPDANCE does a good job of powering this headphone and it's truly a small amp - in fact it's probably one of the few small amps capable of powering higher impedance headphones well.

I have the Little Dot I+ too, and it can't hold a candle to the STEPDANCE for powering the HD 650 - but as you state, the I+ is designed to power lower impedance headphones.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi all

Thanks very much for your help.

Armaegis, thanks for the excellent review of the HD-Q7 amp!

Ive had the chance to try the Little Dot MKII and it is happy to drive the HD 650 and its size is fine as well, so it is also on my list.
I will have to read some more and get familiar with the amps you've suggested, also will have to find a DAC that matches in both quality and size but will start a separate thread for that.

Again, thanks for your help!

Have a good one!

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back