Small size device for TV sound and JBL Control 1X passive speakers
Oct 31, 2022 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Scal

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone;
I'm searching for a small size device that would replace my current system which I cannot use as 'global' system anymore after moving due to different factors. A bit of 'background': I have a Pioneer VSA-D7 amp to which I had CD/DVD/Tuner/Turntable/TV/Mediaplayer devices connected to. Output to 4 passive JBL Control 1X speakers. Now, the TV is setup on a custom furniture which is not deep enough for me to place the amp to and it is impossible to just place another furniture in front of it to allow me to use it. I only have place for the TV itself, the media players under it, and the speakers on the side.

Being used to the sound of the amp and speakers, I just can't stand the TV's build in 'speakers'. The sound of movies or music I play with streaming platforms or media players is just too flat.

I am now looking for an alternative that would replace this amp; I don't necessarily expect to have the same output with a smaller size device but look to have something that would give more 'depth' or 'presence' when watching a movie or listening to music.

The TV is a Sony KDL-48W828B with optical (toslink) output.

I've been searching around and reading reviews of different devices such as the Topping MX5, SMLS D18, AIYIMA D03 and alike because they all have toslink input and binding post outputs (which is how I used to connect my speakers to my amp).

But then, I wondered if I could use different speaker's output plugs and change cables to use different devices' input options such as XLR ones but see no cable with XLR endings and 'raw' cable ending to clip in my speakers' clipping input.

In the end, the system I used will move to another room for listening to music. I am not looking for the best home theater solution, and don't need high end setup just for the TV. Basically something that would give a good stereo experience to enjoy tv series, movies and background music in the living room with family/friends. The sound level does not need to be outrageous like in a concert hall or theater. The Pioneer amp, if I am not mistaken, is a 2x100W 2homs and I have never put more than 65-70% of its power.

I have a budget of about 250-300€ but also don't mind to go a bit higher if, for example, I would need to consider a combination of devices.

My questions:
  1. what type of device should I go for ?
    1. a DAC unit ?
    2. a FDA unit ?
  2. one of the above
    1. and a (pre-)amp ?
  3. should I consider speaker output of the device to be only binding post (or banana plugs) or can I also go for devices which have XLR and get cables with those on one end and 'raw' ends to clip into the speakers' ?

Thank you !

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 4
Since you are constrained by space, I would stick with aio unit as you've mentioned above. Just make sure the device has Toslink input as well as speaker output. XLR output made for headphones will not have nearly enough power to drive any speakers.

Nov 1, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 4
Since you are constrained by space, I would stick with aio unit as you've mentioned above. Just make sure the device has Toslink input as well as speaker output. XLR output made for headphones will not have nearly enough power to drive any speakers.
Thank you for your reply.
What does "aio" stands for ? Could not find it in the glossary.
Are XLR output only for headphones ? I see many amps and DACs with such outputs, but they would never be used for speakers ?
Thank you

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 4
aio stands for all-in-one. Any device that has multi-functionality(dac+amp) can be categorized as aio. I do not know the technicalities but I have not seen any speaker amplifiers that offer XLR output to passive speakers. It could exist, but it is not a common way to connect. Found this on wiki:
At one time three-pin XLR connectors were also used extensively on loudspeaker cables, as when first introduced they represented a new standard of ruggedness, and economical alternatives were not readily available. Often, two-conductor loudspeaker cable had three-pin female connectors on both ends, to distinguish it from a three-conductor shielded signal-level cable, which has a female connector at one end and a male at the other. Either pin 2 or 3 was live, depending on the manufacturer, with pin 1 always the 'earthy' return. This usage is now both obsolete and dangerous to equipment but is still sometimes encountered, especially on older equipment. For example, some loudspeakers have a built-in male connector as an input connector for speaker-level signal. This use was superseded in professional audio applications by the Neutrik Speakon connector. Three pin XLR connectors are now popular power connectors for charging ebike batteries (24V, 36v and 48v). https://www.electricbike.com/ebike-connectors/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back