Small portable battery powered amp?
Apr 29, 2010 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PuZo

Head-Fier
I am looking to make my own *boombox* and I'm looking for a small, battery powered amp. basically something like this:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...2&promoid=1055

Does anyone know where I can get a more powerful one? Maybe like 30 watts x 2 channels, or maybe be able to bridge the channels, but still have stereo sound? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: Well I guess it doesn't have to be very small, the box is probably gonna be atleast 1-3 feet in length, but I'm looking for the amp first, so size doesnt really matter as much, since they are all usually small.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 13
(note: dead link...)

power saving is a requirement? is it mains powered or battery?

I've been looking at some digital (PWM class D) amps (SMT tough...) and found that analog devices has some good ones.... if you manage to find the inductors for the output filtering...

Ic's like AD1992 or TPA3106D1 it may be interesting... but SMT has is issues...

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 13
I should probably add I have no idea what you just said. I am looking for pre-built stuff. Analog or digital doesnt matter, I would like to have the option of having it battery powered and being able to plug it in., 3.5mm input, and around 15-30 watts per channel, RMS(if I can even get that much)

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 13
important note; class D had nothing to do with digital, but it is your best option for getting this sort of power in a small package. also bridging by definition uses both channels to make a single mono channel

May 2, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 13
If youre going to plug it into the wall anyway just buy a reciever and some speakers......or buy powered speakers and run it from an MP3 player.

If you really must build it into one box, buy a portable pro-rack with covers.....rack mount some equipment and build speakers into it........or, use a box and mount a car stereo into it and buy a 25 amp or better power supply to run it. You can even mount car speakers to the box.

You can also run it with a car battery and charger.

You can also buy a pre-made subwoofer cabinet.....mount speakers and cut a hole to mount a car stereo.....and inside add the power supply. They sell these in Best Buy, and anywhere automotive stereos are sold.

May 4, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 13
I guess the OP isnt coming back for answers?
Why do i bother?

May 4, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 13
obiwankenobi2.jpg

May 4, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the OP isnt coming back for answers?
Why do i bother?

lol sorry, been busy with exams. I am looking more into the portable side, as in bringing ti to places where there isn't electricity available. That's its main use, like on a beach or camping. If I can someone also make it plug into AC, then thats a bonus, but not necessarily a requirement. I don't care what size batteries either, 10 D batteries is fine, I am just looking for a portable amp, like the one I showed you in the link. Is there anything like that, that someone can make or that I can buy?

May 5, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 13
Just buy that one?
Sounds like you need to find a nice big boombox. They still sell them online.
In the 1980's people had them with 50 watts per channel and 10 inch woofers, 4 inch mids, and 1 inch tweeters. Some were huge. I see them on ebay sometimes.

You can also buy a portable DJ system from Musicians Friend, Guitar center, Sam Ash Music, Music 123, or some such place. It closes up in its own rug-covered hard-case.

May 5, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just buy that one?
Sounds like you need to find a nice big boombox. They still sell them online.
In the 1980's people had them with 50 watts per channel and 10 inch woofers, 4 inch mids, and 1 inch tweeters. Some were huge. I see them on ebay sometimes.

You can also buy a portable DJ system from Musicians Friend, Guitar center, Sam Ash Music, Music 123, or some such place. It closes up in its own rug-covered hard-case.

The one I posted is too weak, and I believe the company went out of business because their site no longer works? I am looking to save some money and make it more customizable myself, so are there any amps like that one?

May 5, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 13
I think Nu-Force and Firestone Audio make mini amps.
Parasounds Z Series is small, but i dont think itll run on a battery, unless you bring a car battery and a 12v converter.

Find a T-Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back