Small cd transport
Mar 21, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #31 of 136
You can also look for a used Pioneer DVD-V7400. Due to being designed for Industrial and Commercial environments they are built like tanks. They only desirable audio output is coaxial, but it does a good job at that, and they sell for less than dirt used (<$100).

Great find! Do you happen to know if a display is required for that unit? Maybe just for initial setup even? I might snag one or two of these just to have around. I'm mostly playing FLAC files these days but once in a while it is nice to just pop a CD in and go.

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #32 of 136
Mar 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #33 of 136
Great find! Do you happen to know if a display is required for that unit? Maybe just for initial setup even? I might snag one or two of these just to have around. I'm mostly playing FLAC files these days but once in a while it is nice to just pop a CD in and go.

I had to look it up because I couldn't remember, but this review confirmed my thought that a display is only necessary for setup and configuration.

Wow... I just looked these up on Ebay and you can't go lose trying one of these out for $50.

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #34 of 136
@Microcuts: Did you ever find a good CD transport?

On the Audio Advisor website, they list three dozen or so transports, and you can immediately see how big they are from the thumbnails.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=5&sort_on=title&sort_by=&view_all=true

I'm looking at the Musical Fidelity M1 CDT myself. It looks like you can stack it with the matching Musical Fidelity M1 DAC and headphone amp units.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #35 of 136
So far, no. Most small transports are over $1k, which I'm very hesitant to spend on a cd player. I'm looking for something under $300 and have already given up on finding a "transport" only and on aes/ebu, there are very few out there.

Right now I'm awaiting the release of the TEAC PDH01 to see what that thing can do. It seems perfect to me. But I'm open to other options, anyone?

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #36 of 136
Apr 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #37 of 136

Is it still considered a transport if it doesn't have a digital out? Looks to me like it only has RCA out, so plugging it into a DAC would be unfeasible... it's not a transport at that point is it?

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #38 of 136

Quote:

Is it still considered a transport if it doesn't have a digital out? Looks to me like it only has RCA out, so plugging it into a DAC would be unfeasible... it's not a transport at that point is it?

No it's not a transport. The SE version has a digital out, but it is over my budget.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #39 of 136
Why don't you just get one of those mini DVD players and connect to the S/Pdif output, most of them I have seen have a S/Pdif output.
It should play any of the media you need it to and you can find them for very low prices.

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #40 of 136

Quote:
Why don't you just get one of those mini DVD players and connect to the S/Pdif output, most of them I have seen have a S/Pdif output.
It should play any of the media you need it to and you can find them for very low prices.

Where to find them? You mean those portable ones with built in screens? I hate most of those for their build quality and user interface. Also, if it's a dvd player I'd prefer one with upscaling output.

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #42 of 136
I use the Little Dot transport and it sounds great, has BNC as well as coax and toslink. It is slow to respond but mostly just on disc read and initial power up but by slow we are realistically talking seconds. Turn it on, put in a cd, crack a beer, enjoy.
It's a great value.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #43 of 136
So, just out of curiosity, if one was using say a Squeezebox Touch to stream FLAC files via S/PDIF what would be the advantage to getting a CD player of any brand/make/model/price if they only intended to use the S/PDIF out of it?

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #44 of 136
Quote:
So, just out of curiosity, if one was using say a Squeezebox Touch to stream FLAC files via S/PDIF what would be the advantage to getting a CD player of any brand/make/model/price if they only intended to use the S/PDIF out of it?

For me, it's simply a matter of having CD playback capability "just in case". So for example - if someone comes over with a CD that they want me to hear, I don't have to rip the CD while they wait. That's kind of awkward. Also, sometimes you just want to grab a CD and play it. Antiquated, I know, but you see that thing sitting on the shelf and it just calls your name. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #45 of 136
Quote:

For me, it's simply a matter of having CD playback capability "just in case". So for example - if someone comes over with a CD that they want me to hear, I don't have to rip the CD while they wait. That's kind of awkward. Also, sometimes you just want to grab a CD and play it. Antiquated, I know, but you see that thing sitting on the shelf and it just calls your name. 

Agreed. But I da have to consider, NO ONE i know still uses CDs. I am def the only one. So there is no chance anyone is coming over with a CD for me to listen to. I have even begun buying up SACDs and DVD-As for the multi-channel goodness the dumb youth of today knows nothing about! Now a days when friends come over they just stream the music they want me to hear via AirPlay to any of the rooms in my house. Def low quality, but they never have the actual CDs of the music they have anyway. Im not letting my collection go though! In fact Im building it up as fast as I can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back