Small cd transport
Sep 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #46 of 136
Quote:
Agreed. But I da have to consider, NO ONE i know still uses CDs. I am def the only one. So there is no chance anyone is coming over with a CD for me to listen to. I have even begun buying up SACDs and DVD-As for the multi-channel goodness the dumb youth of today knows nothing about! Now a days when friends come over they just stream the music they want me to hear via AirPlay to any of the rooms in my house. Def low quality, but they never have the actual CDs of the music they have anyway. Im not letting my collection go though! In fact Im building it up as fast as I can!

Then you have your own good reasons for maintaining a disc spinner in your system. Keep it up!

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #47 of 136
I may well be dim, but I haven't seen this question answered : 
"Would a cheap-ass dvd player with coax out do?" 
Surely, if you're just using your DVD player to pump out numbers to an external DAC through coax out, any which one will do, given the DAC itself will be doing all the heavy lifting. Or is there something I don't get ?

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #48 of 136
Quote:
I may well be dim, but I haven't seen this question answered : 
"Would a cheap-ass dvd player with coax out do?" 
Surely, if you're just using your DVD player to pump out numbers to an external DAC through coax out, any which one will do, given the DAC itself will be doing all the heavy lifting. Or is there something I don't get ?

My guess is that the answer to this question will vary like whether or not a high priced USB cable is worth it will. You probably wont hear a bit of difference either way, but many people will tell you they can. Either way Id still like to and rather have a nicely built and solid player which is why Ive been looking at the Marantz.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #49 of 136
Quote:
My guess is that the answer to this question will vary like whether or not a high priced USB cable is worth it will. You probably wont hear a bit of difference either way, but many people will tell you they can. Either way Id still like to and rather have a nicely built and solid player which is why Ive been looking at the Marantz.

Oh, I understand the appeal of a well-made, feature-filled CD player you can hang on to for more than three weeks. But I'd be keen to find a cheap CD tray with coax out, as a back-up of sorts, for when I'd rather keep my computer off. The Pioneer DVD linked to on page 2 looks perfect for my needs. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #50 of 136
I picked up two of these Pioneer DVD-7400s.  I like it a lot.  It does what it needs to do and that is act as a transport.  If you can find one with a remote then great, if not don't worry.  One of them doesn't play CDs so I'm probably just going to donate it to charity as it is fine for DVDs and DVD audio.  Pioneer said I could send it in for repair but not worth the repair bill.  Just ask the seller to make sure CDs work with the player. 

Quote:

Oh, I understand the appeal of a well-made, feature-filled CD player you can hang on to for more than three weeks. But I'd be keen to find a cheap CD tray with coax out, as a back-up of sorts, for when I'd rather keep my computer off. The Pioneer DVD linked to on page 2 looks perfect for my needs. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #51 of 136
Did anyone buy the TEAC PD-H01?

If so it would be nice to have their findings.

I'd like to know because even though TEAC have withdrawn both the H01 & H600 they are still available at least in Europe.

I've already asked one poster on this thread for his impressions about the H600.

Sep 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #52 of 136
After seeing The8thst recommend the Pioneer DVD V-7400 I found one on Ebay for $54.99 shipped.  It arrived today and I set it up in my system with the bifrost.  Gotta say so far with limited listening it improves on everything my previous Pioneer DVD 414 could do, the added information is excellent, in addition it adds solidity and improved dynamics.  A nice bonus is the remote from my old pioneer DVD player works great with the V-7400.  Thanks The8thst for the tip, this DVD player is a steal and sounds better than any transport I have used in the past.

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #53 of 136
anyone try Cryrus T Transport before?

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #54 of 136
This looks like a promising entry into this segment. Too bad about the rack mount. Apparently, there is a silver version without that, but I can't find pictures.

zcd_angle_big.jpg

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #55 of 136
I just received the Pro-Ject CD Box S. Great little CD player/transport, and I highly recommend it for the price, especially if you are partial to Pro-Ject and/or their Box-Design product line. For me, it perfectly fits what I needed -- small footprint, solid build, coaxial digital and analog outs.
2309.jpg

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #56 of 136
Quote:
I just received the Pro-Ject CD Box S. Great little CD player/transport, and I highly recommend it for the price, especially if you are partial to Pro-Ject and/or their Box-Design product line. For me, it perfectly fits what I needed -- small footprint, solid build, coaxial digital and analog outs.
2309.jpg

Look good. Price? Specs?

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #57 of 136
It goes for $299. I bought it from The Cable Company. Here are some specs:

[size=11pt] Technical specifications

[size=11pt] Pro-Ject CD Box S[/size]

Supports CD, CD-R, CD-RW and Hybrid-SACD
Frequency response 20Hz — 20kHz, -0,3dB
Noise floor 96dB / 1V
THD 0,01%
Line-level output 1 pair RCA/phono sockets
Output voltage 1Vrms
Digital output 1x co-axial (S/PDIF)
D/A converter Texas Instruments TLV320DAC23
  24Bit/96kHz, 8-times oversampling
Outboard power supply 9V/2.000mA DC; 220 - 240V, 50Hz
Standby power consumption < 1 watt
Power consumption 300 - 1.500mA DC
Dimension W x H x D (D with sockets) 206 x 36 x 150 (156)mm
Weight 1260g without power supply
[/size]

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #59 of 136
About what you'd expect for $300. Excellent clarity, but it obviously sounds better plugged into my DAC1 -- more space and authority. Of course, that could be my imagination, or the Head Box II I used with the analog outs. Anyway, for a $300 small footprint CD player, I doubt I could do better. If I were looking for a larger unit, I would get Onkyo's current lowest price model.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #60 of 136
Quote:
2309.jpg

If you don't mind telling us, where did you buy that CD transport? I have looked everywhere online at the usual places (Amazon, Crutchfield, Audio Advisor, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back