Small cd transport
Jun 24, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #77 of 136
I've had good luck with slot loading drives, with no scratching that I can see. There's usually a soft layer of something that looks like felt or similar material lining the slot entrance, so unless you are really forceful with shoving the disc in there, it should be fine.  

that lining usually degrades after use quite quickly in my case, well before the reader dies. maybe i am not changing my gears as frequently or i was just using low end devices.

May 29, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #80 of 136
Bump. Looking for the same thing. Cheap too.

I don't understand why CD players have to be so huge given the size of external CD players for computers + portable DACs/DAPs.
check out the teac pd-h500 or h570

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #81 of 136
Small bump again. Nice to see that every now and then this thread gets a new reply :) But I'm looking for the same thing, preferably cheap (under €300), so I've been looking at used Teac's. Can get a used pd-301 for €200 for instance. But I was also looking at Cambridge Sonata cd30s (slightly bigger but can get one for €100) and finally some type of Pro-ject cd box (S, SE, S2), probably older versions. I am gonna use it as a source for my JDS el amp and ath-w3000anv's. I'm not an expert in dacs, so what would you guys recommend? Just got the W3000anv's so therefore budget is limited...
Thanks!

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #85 of 136
Another bump of this thread. I am looking into pure CD transport as I would like to use my rig instead of adding another stack of equipment on my desk. So small size is a main factor, while it would be great if target device had USB to DAC output, but I can live with COAX/OPT as well at the end. Any new tips? So far I have not been able to find one that really suits my needs.

The ones close, but not enought are:

• Cambridge Audio CXC 2 (not really compact and lacks USB)
  • Teac PD-301DAB (lacks USB)
  • Pro-Ject CD Box DS2T (lack USB)

I do not need ability to play mp3 etc from CDs. Those I can play from my laptop. I just need CD player to connect to my DAC and headphone amp.

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #86 of 136
If you read through this thread you will see that I bought a Project CDP. It was a demo model from a German hi-fi shop. I had intended to use it as a transport only. As a CDP it initially sounded very good, I bought for pennies a long time ago a Dacmagic which I modded with better components and especially a much better o/put cable. Unfortunately I got sidewinded with health problems for a few years and when I unpacked the Pro-Ject and tried to use it I encountered 3 mechanical problems. When I contacted the French distributor Ihet demanded original purchaser receipts which of course I didn't have and when I went direct to the Austrian manufacturer I got no response whatsoever.

They are now making some questionable statements and their latest transport doesn't get 5 stars anywhere.

I know you want a small footprint but may I make a suggestion - having had a Marantz CD63 KI for over 25 years, I'm now going to buy a Marantz CD6006 UK special edition, this has everything you need including a h/amp and it can be used as a transport (I think). A B stock can be bought for £229 from Hyper Hifi in the UK. Place a piece of suitable damping material on top and you can put other equipment on top

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #87 of 136
If you read through this thread you will see that I bought a Project CDP. It was a demo model from a German hi-fi shop. I had intended to use it as a transport only. As a CDP it initially sounded very good, I bought for pennies a long time ago a Dacmagic which I modded with better components and especially a much better o/put cable. Unfortunately I got sidewinded with health problems for a few years and when I unpacked the Pro-Ject and tried to use it I encountered 3 mechanical problems. When I contacted the French distributor Ihet demanded original purchaser receipts which of course I didn't have and when I went direct to the Austrian manufacturer I got no response whatsoever.

They are now making some questionable statements and their latest transport doesn't get 5 stars anywhere.

I know you want a small footprint but may I make a suggestion - having had a Marantz CD63 KI for over 25 years, I'm now going to buy a Marantz CD6006 UK special edition, this has everything you need including a h/amp and it can be used as a transport (I think). A B stock can be bought for £229 from Hyper Hifi in the UK. Place a piece of suitable damping material on top and you can put other equipment on top

@Gallic Dweller thank you for your input. In fact I was also thinking about Marantz CD6006 UK special edition when considering Cambridge Audio CXC 2. I find it strange that after all those years there is so limited selection of compact CD players, especially considering how other audiophile equipment evolves quick during last decade. Another thing that really surprises me is how limited it selection of players with loading mechanism on top instead of sliding one.

I have been looking at some RPi solutions as well recently, but when you add up price of all components it is not that competitive as it should be (or at least I had a false assumption that RPi based hardware will be a lot cheaper due to price of RPi board itself).

Mar 8, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #88 of 136
I agree entirely with your opinion on the market for small CDPs. I can understand why t/t production went into decline at the end of the 80s' but many had huge CD collections which they weren't going to dump any time soon and though many refuse to admit it that CD and Vinyl still with well thought out systems still have that 'something' that streamed/downloaded music can't get near. Plus, just like vinyl used to be so cheap to buy so are CDs now and as Bruce Willis found out - you don't own a download, you only buy the right to play it.

I have stashed in the UK an original first generation Marantz which is a top loader, I was seriously considering the Rega Saturn S BUT this too has quality control problems along with Cyrus. I know the sound of Marantz and like it and they are totally reliable over many years, wish I had stayed with this mark instead of the Pro-Ject.

CD got a bad reputation over the years and I found this was down to traditional i/connects, PM me for a few ideas.

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #89 of 136
@Gallic Dweller thanks for more valuable feedback. At least I know it is not me since I can not find what I need, it simply does not exists yet. Will it be out there one day is completely different story. Can you tell a bit more about differences between Marantz CD6006 and UK version please? Locally I could only find standard version. There is a seller in UK on Amazon that has UK version but due to size I am still not convinced this is the one I really need. While I could connect all my headphones directly which is great plus, it still has some drawback. On the other hand SQ is the most important on list of priorities for me.

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #90 of 136
I doubt that things will change. The music industry decided to dump vinyl, making CDs was cheaper, easier and more profitable and downloads even more so. The UK edition of the Marantz is simply better power supply to the digital to analogue circuitry and upgrades to the analogue output.

As you are in Poland there will be no import charges which is a big plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back