Small cd transport
Dec 17, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #121 of 136
As can be seen from my previous posts after getting zero response from Pro-Ject and their distributor in France I gave up on buying s small CDP and plumped for the latest Marantz CD6007. This is a big box but not full of air like so much audio gear. The CD mech. is silent, the h/amp is that good that I'm going to be selling my 2 dedicated h/amps and I'm yet to try the USB input digital board, which can handle most formats, it also uses ARM chips, always a good sign. The DAC section uses the AK4490 and this is the best I have heard CD sound. I doubt I will find much to criticise with the digital out - so 3 pieces of top notch gear in one box.

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #122 of 136
for the Cayin, read back in this thread. I don't like the external ps and slot loading (and 2 color). It's just a little bit cheaper and it doesn't look as solid as the RFTLYS or Tempo (Shanling, also mayor player). The RFTLYS seems better to me, but i don't care about the dac part, as long as the coax out is ok. Yet, if you don't care about height I would recommend the RFTLYS.

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #123 of 136
I seem to be in the same boat as many of you. I'm in the market for a small form factor CD Transport, which will be connected to my TEAC AI-503 via coax, preferrably <$500

Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

* Cayin Mini-CD
* Little Dot CDP II
* Shanling Tempo eC1B
* TEAC PD-301
* PRO-JECT CD BOX S (which seems to be as hard to find as the Hope Diamond)

ANY suggestions would be helpful!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #124 of 136
I seem to be in the same boat as many of you. I'm in the market for a small form factor CD Transport, which will be connected to my TEAC AI-503 via coax, preferrably <$500

Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

* Cayin Mini-CD
* Little Dot CDP II
* Shanling Tempo eC1B
* TEAC PD-301
* PRO-JECT CD BOX S (which seems to be as hard to find as the Hope Diamond)

ANY suggestions would be helpful!

@Donnnie you need to answer yourself a few questions first:
  1. What functionality of a transport is crucial for you: do you want to have upsampling or other features?
  2. How silent the transport should be?
  3. What outputs do you need?
  4. Do you need a large display (kind of contradiction in case of small transport form but still a valid question)?
  5. Remote: is having a remote important option? Do you want to be able to select any track from the remote?

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #125 of 136
@Donnnie you need to answer yourself a few questions first:
  1. What functionality of a transport is crucial for you: do you want to have upsampling or other features?
  2. How silent the transport should be?
  3. What outputs do you need?
  4. Do you need a large display (kind of contradiction in case of small transport form but still a valid question)?
  5. Remote: is having a remote important option? Do you want to be able to select any track from the remote?

Good questions one and all. Basically all of them have remotes, coax out, good (enough) displays, and I dont care about upsampling.

But how noisy or not the transport is DOES matter to me, and thats where I need some advice from those who know.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #126 of 136
you forgot the 2 RFTLYS models which are very moderately priced and are great quality. Why I didn't chose that is because of the height of the front, the Tempo is lower and matches my Ares II. After all I'll spend more time looking at it than listening cd's. I don't like the little joystick control (it looks so fragile) and would prefer decent buttons. Also the green display is rather out of place in my system, but again; it's off most of the time. I would consider the dacs in both RFTLYS better, but again... Sometimes I can be so pragmatic.

I can only tell you about the Tempo/Shanling concerning transport noise. Only when loading or skipping tracks you can hear the laser servo from up close. Otherwise it's dead silent. Not at all like a cd-Rom. <10dB with your ear on the casing. I tested it 5Am when all is quiet.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #127 of 136
To revive this good old thread once again, I found this little fella on Aliexpress/Ebay: Syitren SN20 CD Player Portable MANTY-CD. It's only like $150ish, so could be worth a try, since I do think it looks super nice! Has anyone got any experience with this one? I might give it a shot.
TZT-Syitren-SN20-CD-Player-Portable-MANTY-CD-Wooden-Cabinet-Support-CDDA-CD-R-CD-RW.jpg_Q90.jpg

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #128 of 136
Jan 26, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #129 of 136
It is small alright but it isn't a transport the way I see it. It is a portable CD-player. Not the same quality or dependability as a stationary cd-player seperated in 2 enclosures. It might be OK if you just want to play some odd cd's as a rarity.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #130 of 136
To revive this good old thread once again, I found this little fella on Aliexpress/Ebay: Syitren SN20 CD Player Portable MANTY-CD. It's only like $150ish, so could be worth a try, since I do think it looks super nice! Has anyone got any experience with this one? I might give it a shot.
TZT-Syitren-SN20-CD-Player-Portable-MANTY-CD-Wooden-Cabinet-Support-CDDA-CD-R-CD-RW.jpg_Q90.jpg
I found this video: , looks almost the same, but from a different brand. I read in the comments that it doesn't do gappless playback.

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #131 of 136
i was playing with the idea of adding a small transport.. after reading through the pages on this thread I am reminded that I have a candidate sitting in a box in my garage for the last 20+ years... a Sony D303 with optical output. using this glass toslink to connect D303 to Pontus, it sounded very good. the lens does need some calibration and found a guy here on headfi to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back