SM64 To Replace SM3
Jan 23, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #137 of 261
I think the bass is about the same. As IamYuri said..the impedance of sm64 (112ohm) is higher than sm3v2 so that means u will need more proper amps to drive it to make it really shine in performance. Otherwise..u might easily find the bass on sm3v2 is more impactful because of its neutral character and less treble.

The sm3v2 to my ears is more neutral and has very good impact of the bass. And yhe sm64 is more musical. Somehow i feel like they tune its mids and highs a bit more sharper. However i dont find any harsh sounding during my listening.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #138 of 261
I think the bass is about the same. As IamYuri said..the impedance of sm64 (112ohm) is higher than sm3v2 so that means u will need more proper amps to drive it to make it really shine in performance. Otherwise..u might easily find the bass on sm3v2 is more impactful because of its neutral character and less treble.

The sm3v2 to my ears is more neutral and has very good impact of the bass. And yhe sm64 is more musical. Somehow i feel like they tune its mids and highs a bit more sharper. However i dont find any harsh sounding during my listening.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #141 of 261
hai, new here, curious about the mod from ES, should i wait for the update? until when?

hai bang music4life, dari sumatera, salam kenal!

If you now decide to buy some SM64 you will automatically get the modded version. But maybe you want to wait till mid February when I get mine back (hopefully) I think the sound will change not just a bit and you might want to wait for some impressions from the folks here that will get their pair modded.
But that is just how I would do it :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #142 of 261
Anyone listened to the SM64 with an iPhone 4s?

It would be my main source until I could get my hands into an Arrow 4g + dock cable and an USB DAC cable for my PC.
To be honest, I'm more interested in the amp because of the possibility of getting a cleaner signal, than amping to the new SM64s.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #144 of 261
So tomorrow is the big day. I'll send my beloved SM64 to earsonics for the big "update"... now I have to get along with the stupid Galaxy S3 IEMs for God knows how long :frowning2:
(I don't consider my AKG 601 portable)

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #146 of 261
Haven't tested that so far but I could at least give it a short try tomorrow :-D
I don't have Poweramp or anything of that nature, though.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #147 of 261
Hi tom..
Looking forward to hear your updated sm64..perhaps u can share with us what update you did u do to your sm64 :) are you lowering the gain in it?

Btw..i tried already using my S3 to drive my sm64 (original version). I think the sound is a tad below my expected listenable level (though always set to a max volume). The sound from S3 is better than ipod classic IMO. But S3 somehow does not has enough power to drive specific earphone/iems.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #148 of 261
That is all the stuff Earsonics is going to change :
"Detail of upgrade:

-Lowering of general impedance (to 95 ohms ) for better driving with low power output device like IPOD, J3, etc.
-That makes a better control of spectrum equilibration (hight medium, et eventual sibilances with some device) increase "medium EarSonics sound signature" and better support on low frequencies using with lower power devices.."

Quoted from the e-mail I received a few days ago.
Sounds really promising if you ask me :wink: Exactly the changes I was looking for.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #149 of 261
Yes. Very interesting indeed. So yours is gonna be identical with sm64v2 as rumoured right? Anyway i hope u will have a really good time listening with it. Cheers. :)

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #150 of 261
Yes. Very interesting indeed. So yours is gonna be identical with sm64v2 as rumoured right? Anyway i hope u will have a really good time listening with it. Cheers. :)

The SM64v2 are not just a rumor. They will be the "normal" SM64 with exact this changes and you won't be able to to purchase the v1 from on.
I really hope that it won't take Earsonics that long to upgrade my pair...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back